What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tree growing: Guerillia growing off the ground

G13Dreams

I agree with you SevenSeeds, this thread did need a good revival..

I've always been monkey-like in my climbing abilities, at least as long as I can remember.
Anyway, I was kicking around this idea in my head of some 5 gal buckets or something similar to haul up in a tall tree.

I like backcountry's suggestion of milk crates, I would just want to add a liner inside it of burlap or something similar to ensure my soil mix doesn't leak out by the end of the season!

Its something like 40% of people that have vertigo, so that is a big deterrent right there. ;)

river rat01

it would work better if you camo'ed the milk crate with a bunch of twigs to look like a huge buzzard or eagles nest.

after all, we want it to look natural as possible.

ErbloverOntario

a tree story

a tree story

Hey there i used to go on overgrow back in the day and remember one specific post that stuck out when tree growing came to mind, as he was the only one i saw with sucsesful pics. his name was "Birdseyeview" or something like that. I was inspired and very bored coming off oxys that winter and actually set up my own system. I had a place where i was doing a few small grown in a mile square or so area of bush/swamp and very thick cedars.

I had actually obtained almost all my supplies from a house that backed onto this wooded area, my friend and i found some plants 2 years before in the area, it was basicly near my backyard i had played in these woods all my life, i was cuting through the yard one day and noticed the trashbags and generator behind the big barn/garage about 300 ft behind their house. there was leafs and growroom suplies in the trash bag <i noticed them and riped them open, i returnd that night, and it turned out this house was growing a large amount of erb (like 12 lights) in a outdoor barnish type building with a plywood framed , very professionAL interior along with state of the art equiptment, wiring a generac 5000 propane generator, anyhow they ended up getting busted not long after i i found the operation and i ended up finding a black trash bag full of small bud and trim the cops must have missed. lated me a year and made alot of bho with thr trim.. these dudes were bad and got caught with a tun o' guns , stolen cars a chopshop at another location, boxes of stolen goods like 200 swords, atvs, looked like they robbed a army surplus from the police newspaper photo they had to use a gymnasium to hold all the stuff for the photo. surprisingly they left alot of the grow equiptment, nutes etc. these guys were also dumping all their used promix in a big pile of trashbags in teir backyard area wich i hauled to my spots lol.. they also left like 300 home depot 18l buckets <brand new> i took half and stashed em, ended up painting a bunch green and using them in swamp spots. the attic had enuf drying wire lines strung across it you could of dried 20 lbs easy there,

anyhow back to tree growing, i took a home depot bucket and camo painted it, then climbed a big pine tree, if you notice most pine trees have an "upside down umbrella" shaped canopy, at the top, and are usually very easy to climb (despite the sticky sap on your hands) i climbed up about 15 feet and trimed almost all the top branches off until i had the shape of an open upside down umbrella, i then duct taped the bucket to the tree with about a half roll of tape then painted the tape. ironicly i never actually unded up using this spot but it stayed up there full of soil for a few years (could still be there lol)
i used to have some other spots in buckets and decided to hang one in a nearby tree for an experiment, i actually just hung the bucket by its handle off the branch, no tape even and the plant budded beautifully, it dried out easier that the ones on the ground, even with water crystals, maybe i didnt have enuf crystals. I used to bring the water up in a backpack and hang the pack on a cut off branch once i was upto the bucket, pull out a few 4 litre milk jugs, water it and your done, i actually climbed up this tree with the plant still in veg about 2 feet tall or so from clone, it was very tough i would bring the soil up in the backpack and fill the bucket once youve got it stabilized in the tree.

i also looked at other methods of keeping the bucket in the tree, i had some really heavy duty brackts and i was going to try some means of screwing or nailing them into the trees trunk, another was using some weathered or camo'd wood plank system, i would only grow in pines because they are easy to climb, they have lots of branches that can support your weight and almost act as a natural ladder, you just have to have a small hand saw to trim a path up through the small branches, they will poke you alot.

The beauty of this idea is you can put plants in areas where rippers wont look. when a ripper sees dense, almost un-passable forrest of cedars and pines, it is a big turn off, most experienced rrippers are growers too, and know you cant usualy grow around these acidic trees, plus they look for trails usualy to start with and never look up. they will not think to look as they want to scout areas that a typical outdoor grow would be like edges of fields etc.. even swamps are becoming more well known as grow spots,
you can actually yeild alot from 1 plant if well taken care of, by having 3 hidden in a tree in 15 trees would get me through the year for sure,

the other spot i find good is in brackish dense cedar areas where they are around 3-7 ft tall around swamps. i bring in my own soil and have had alot of luck in these types of areas.

I think the toughest part would be getting your materiials in, but if you do it before spring hits it should be easier. even if you can just get the pails and promix in, the rest can be brought in as hiking season starts.

alot of people i know have to grow in areas near a city, theyre rural but the lands almost all used by atvs hunters and hikers. Growing alone is risky you have to have a spot to park your vehiclw well you tend the crop, thats the biggest flag for cops. if you can find a conservation area, public ciuntry/rural pathway, like the rideau trail or cataraqui trail etc, you bring a mountain bike and always bike down the dirt road nearby, and slip into the woods undetected you can travel quite far on a bike, you can easily hide the bike too, and if the cops are watching your vehicle they will see a guy come back wearing a dorky bike helmet, etc and leave you alone hopefully, My biggest advantage i found for security was getting your soil and containers etc into the woods and stash em before its growing season. then all you have to bring is a lunch and drinks, my biggest worry was being found with supplies on me in a backpack but once in the woods you'r safe. good luck guys

Care Free 1

Veteran
Interesting idea Backcountry.

The idea opens up the path to many opportunities.

Attachments

• Trees.jpg
    Trees.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
This was my first project at OG, I never grew in a tree and probably never will, but I took the time for fun, to design a easy way to do it. There were just so many people there at the time obsessed with the idea, thought I might look into it myself, and here you go.........

A

Amstel Light

i think i remember you ....something about "it's not a bear...it's my dog"?? hehe
well this fall will be testing a prototype ...will let yall know how it goes...

aahz

my tree growing

my tree growing

I have been growing on trees for about 4-5 years - at first because of rippers, but now it's mostly because I like climbing on trees and spending time there...:)

This year I started filming short shots which you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=04A153F1317EC311

Descriptions are in czech, so here's short summary:
2 plants on big spruce tree in cca 20m (65feet) height
30l (8 gallons) pots
automatic watering - Tropf Blumat with 10l (2.6 gallon) reservoirs

Also some pictures are on czech forum

BC, I have a question about your cordless drill. How far does the drill pull the water up in the tree? and how wide is your pvc piping. I grew last year in the trees and loved it. Only down fall is the watering.

mrktwiz

BACKCOUNTRY that is a very ingenious setup you have there. I heard about growing in trees back in the eighties. They were doing it then in the santa cruz mtns. I was never able to see one , but I think you have it dialed. :respect:

I'll be watching this one :lurk:
GCG

I've seen this in the redwoods where I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, in fact I have 3 redwoods on my property that I am going to try and do this next spring. It works and I've seen some decent yields, it WAS more popular back in the 80's because it was 5K a lb back then now outdoor is like 1800 - 2000 here atm and I am talking very good boo for that price, Great revival of a old idea Backcountry....your watering trick is excellent also.

Kirby_Tokin

Hiigh everybody:wave:

I've been reading tree threads for a week now and I'm 100% sure i'm gonna try this with my auto seeds this summer..

The auto is finished around 70 days from seed to harvest, so this is a plus in my book for a tree grow.. The other thing I was thinking about is of course, watering the plants.. Well, i've read the bible many times and i remembered one small pic in the outdoor chapter called "grobot" or something like that.. I could not find the system on google, but I found one system that's even better: Auto water

This is a pump that runs on aa batteries, similar to the bigger "oasis watering system"

Anyone ever used this or something similar? Would be alot easier to water the plants in the top of the tree.. A reservoir and this on the top?

I don't have the money yet for the system, but even if I don't buy the system this season, i'm gonna put those autos in a tree..! I have spotted out the trees already and i have 5 days of because it's easter holidays now..! I was thinking of bottle pots, 2 liters, 6 plants in one square pot that holds water that the plants can drink, hanging in a line in the tops.. We'll see how it's gonna be.. I PROMISE updates when the season starts :D

Kirby

Kirby_Tokin

Thanks for the link thizzness, but i've used them couple of times already outdoors :) And i've read trough the thread many times.. I like them as well, but I really want to try the battery pump now, only thing you need is 4xAA batteries, think it's gonna be great for the outdoors.. You got some nice plans as well, good luck with it..!

Happy holidays, I'm starting mine after work today, gonna use it to find some new nice spots ;)

Kirby

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
So you wanna grow in a tree... This is what it looks like.

[YOUTUBEIF]UdwjttFlJgs[/YOUTUBEIF]

Latest posts

Latest posts