What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pruning in flower??

I normally lollipop and clean the bottoms and such up before switching to flower. Completely zoned out about it this grow. I’m 4 days into flower now and was wodnering when I can start pruning. Should I wait till before day 21 and do all at once? I got some thick bushy gals lol.

starke

Like you I clean up the lowers before the flip. Until recently I had been doing a fairly severe defol at flower day 21 and have always been happy with the end result (except the brown pistils from the manhandling). The last two grows I have done less of a defol, in a more focused manner, and been even happier with the results.

Member Ichabod Crane explains his defol process for a vertical SCROG in this thread beginning at post #8 with pics: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368036

His reasoning made sense to me so I tried it horizontally in my SCROG. Noticed a definite increase in density and weight. Enough so to make it worth the extra time it takes, IMO.

Fixer

I take any lower branches that won't reach a reasonable height when I defol at 2 or 3 weeks into flower. I can't tell if it has a negative effect but I hate trimming those pop corn buds. :biggrin:

Yeah. I normally like to lollipop them before flipping just to make watering by hand easier lol. But also helps air flow. I may take a few water leaves off that are blocking sites but I guess I’ll wait till closer to day 21 to fully prune them up.

V

voidpainter

I take down anything that's too stretchy or thin anytime between 1-3rd week of flower. But usually I completely clear the bottom third before flip, sometimes even way before as I see fit. If grown a fair amount of plants one should have a pretty good picture or imagination as to how the plant will develop later.

I take down anything that's too stretchy or thin anytime between 1-3rd week of flower. But usually I completely clear the bottom third before flip, sometimes even way before as I see fit. If grown a fair amount of plants one should have a pretty good picture or imagination as to how the plant will develop later.

Yep I normally do a super clean up lollipop 15 days before flip. Then I’ll do a small trim of anything that’s back 6days before. I completely went blank and forgot this go around lol. I need this bottom stuff gone ASAP tho.