What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just another defoliation dokumentation - pics

Aheadatime

Nice experiment. These are from seed right? Running them from clone would be a cool experiment too, to rule out phenotypic differences between yield in general. I've noticed some girls love the defol, while others only really like a few plucked here and there.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Yes, these girls are all from seed.

The two big girls.
Flowering for 60 days.

Together:
picture.php

This week, no removing leaves from the heavy defoliated girl:

picture.php

picture.php

And now, please look close with me.
It seems like the heavy defoliated girl, matures a little faster than the non-defoliated girl.
See these two close ups, and compare with non defoliated girl in next post:

picture.php

picture.php

P

Cork144

great stuff, could you on a next run try just pruning all veg leaves 1 week into flower and not touching again, its how ive found defoliation to work best, leaving each site to sporut its own set of smaller leaves, its what i do to plants in a 3x3
metric
metric
metric

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
The non defoliated girl. Flowering 60 days.
Dead leaves were removed.

Is she less mature compared to her sister. See post #62

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P

Dave Coulier

Veteran
The defoliated plant definitely looks 2-3 weeks ahead of the other plant, but with it being seed plants, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Definitely worth exploring with some clones if you get a chance.

The non-defoliated plant definitely has larger buds from those photos. Course some of that could be attributed to seed plants again. Ultimately I think defoliation simply lets more light get to lowers on the plant, turning larf into smokeable/marketable buds, but at the expense of the main colas who have now lost their large fan leaves and end up with smaller buds as a result. Its akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul, imo.

If one really want to fatten up lowers and keep those fan leaves, implementing side lighting to beefen up the lowers would be a better alternative to defoliation. Even non-defoliated plants would benefit from side-lighting.

Thanks for taking the time with this experiment. Ive enjoyed it greatly.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
A closer look at the heavy defoliated 66-days-flowering-girl

I think she matures faster than the non-defoliated girl - SEE MY NEXT POST

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P :smoke:

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
The non-defoliated 66-days-flowering-girl
I think she looks younger than the heavy-defoliated girl

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P

-TheShortTexan-

Wow! Those look amazing. Awesome side by side experiment also. I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me thinking the leaves are "bigger" buds or not. Because the buds on the fully leaved plant looks slightly fatter. Can't wait to see the results!:tiphat:

Great experiment!
You will have to do it with identical clones to get a true result, since phenotypes vary too widely between seeds.

I defoliate heavily on my OG Kush clones, and I get huge yields because of it.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow! Those look amazing. Awesome side by side experiment also. I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me thinking the leaves are "bigger" buds or not. Because the buds on the fully leaved plant looks slightly fatter. Can't wait to see the results!:tiphat:

In my limited experience, the buds look bigger, but are less dense.

-TheShortTexan-

I'm definitely ready to see the weigh in. I've got 2 in early veg now and am contemplating defoliating. Stuck between "the leaves are the photosynthesis factories of the plants don't pull them" and "if you pull the leaves the plants will focus all the growth energy on the buds"... we will see i guess.

Watching this one for sure.
:lurk:

Just want to give you an example of a defoliated bud of sfv og. No vigor is lost. The set of leaves that you see is the set of leaves that was at the top of the branch when I defoliated it. I always leave the top set of leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_20180515_173246128_1jjjg.jpg
    IMG_20180515_173246128_1jjjg.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 25

-TheShortTexan-

I can see enough to be confident it doesnt "hurt" the plant. The question I have is the same question this thread is trying to answer: is there any actual advantage to defoliating BESIDES improved airflow/increasing light penetration. It definitely helps in that aspect. I'm just anxious to see how much of an impact those two factors have on the final weight. Hope they stick with this experiment!!:watchplant:

Here is my current garden of SFV OG.
All of these plants were defoliated at day 20.

Defoliated branches of this strain pack on more bud weight , and have tighter nodes than if not defoliated. Yield increases as much as 20%.

SFV OG is a clone only and had been adapted to this sort of training and reacts well to it. I would not defoliate seed plants. I would only defoliate a plant after it's been tested for stability.

Anyway..

Attachments

• IMG_20180807_081105779.jpg
    IMG_20180807_081105779.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180807_081126897.jpg
    IMG_20180807_081126897.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 24

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Thanks for comments.

The end is getting near.

Here is the non-defoliated big girl.
I really loves her mature look.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

She matures a little slower than the heavy defoliated girl.

picture.php

P

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
The heavy defoliated girl.
Someone mentioned - More dense.
I say - Yes.
And maturing a little faster

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P

blackone

Veteran
Hi Paddi - good to see that you're still growing.
Definitely an interesting experiment - would have been even more interesting from clones though?
I like the nice big plants you're growing. If I start up again I would also like to have a grow of large plants first because it helps save seed and makes pheno selection easier for a light smoker like myself - and I really love the look of big plants.
How long did you veg them for - and what is the pot size?

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
I hope to answer questions a little later.

Here are the two small girls.
Flowering for about 9 weeks.

picture.php

The heavy defoliated girl:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And here we see. It´s harvesttime - with a little loss

picture.php

P

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
And here. The small non-defoliated girl.
Flowering for 9 weeks.
I love her colors

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P