What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oscar Mayer Bacon

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Greetings Americans.
Some of you may know, I am on a quest, to consume a Bacon donut cheese burger. My boxing day plans were foiled by a family member eating my best bacon.
Now, whenever I see Americans eating/cooking bacon on TV, it is nice straight rectangular strips like this
homemadeamericanbacon17.jpg

British Bacon looks like this

engbfast-1.jpg

front_main_img2.jpg

Now, the American style seems more appropriate for the BDCB than the Uk bacon rashers.

I have found a UK store which sells american products, and they have Oscar Mayer Bacon (and hot dogs). Is Oscar Meyer Bacon, a good representation of American bacon of the type pictured above.

thanks guys.

Last edited:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
harry,,those pics of sausage and bacon have given me the immediate munchies,,off to make a bacon sarnie pronto lol,,s2

Skip

Veteran
We call the bacon with less fat and more meat, like the British style, "Canadian Bacon".

American's don't eat that style of bacon often. It's usually reserved for special recipes, like eggs benedict.

Maybe you can understand now why so many Americans are overweight (overly fatty foods).

A couple of years ago pork prices hit a low point. So the pork industry fought back spending millions in advertising and promoting pork in everything!

Now you can hardly find a fast food joint that doesn't have pork in nearly every dish.

And guess what? It worked. Pork prices are back up again.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Oscar Meyer it is then...Thanks.
In the meantime, I think I going to make myself scrambled eggs, 4 slices of bacon, a small tin of beans, and 4 rounds of toast.....
I wonder if our "Streaky bacon" is more like american bacon...

EDIT
I've done some googling, and it seems that yes, Streaky bacon, is roughly the same thing as the American bacon

WebStreakyBacon.jpg

paganum-dry-cured-streaky-bacon-1.jpg

Thank you to Skip?, for editing the title.

Last edited:
I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner

I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner

Oscar Meyer has been around a long time in the US, but a representation of what many eat and will settle for maybe. Some things, like bacon, takes some searching to find the perfect pig and cure. Do it yourself would be best as you know what its eating, but I get local wherever I go and have to search and find and try a few until I now have what I eat which is very yummy, but like in a restaurant, it depends on the cook or one who made the batch. So how do you cook yours. I do both pan and oven, but oven is more even and with a rack drains nice. Now maybe a big slice of tom and some lettuce and good fresh bread, add mayo, eumm. I am getting hungry now and we do have some bacon. Anyone like Ramake, I think its spelled. Is chicken liver and red wine soaked chestnuts wrapped in bacon and baked and can be served with basic reduced red wine sauce. Haven't had in a long time as no one will eat but me so I don't make them. Someday I'll have to do some with a side of homemade ham and beans and cornbread. Time to eat I think.:tiphat:SR

Note: Didn't see mentioned, but down south they eat fatback and is the skin and the fat under. Is crunchy top and more like bacon fat under, but no meat. Very good, but not for you. Basically a pork rind. I put sugar in my grits and they looked at me like I was a commie,lol. I will take some corn meal mush now, and flapjacks, homemade bisquits and sausage gravy, brown farm fresh eggs etc... now even hungrier. Don't forget the homemade bisquits, butter and jam for dessert. I'm full already.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

yeah Oscar Mayer's a good representation of our popular bacon, but if you were here in the states I'd be recommending Wrights Apple Smoked thick slice bacon, same style as streaky bacon but really robust flavor and minimal shrinkage.

justpassnthru

Veteran
Harry, once you get addicted to that fatty bacon. Buy some chestnuts and wrap them with some bacon, once around and cut off extra, hold in place with a toothpick and bake it at about 375degrees for 15minutes or until crispy..yum, little snack.

If you have the hot dogs per your ()...those aren't so bad either, kinda tasty. If you want an American hot dog..that is pretty much a good brand. Hebrew National is a better choice..imo.Now I'll :stfu: before I get hungry. :biggrin:jpt

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Harry, once you get addicted to that fatty bacon. Buy some chestnuts and wrap them with some bacon, once around and cut off extra, hold in place with a toothpick and bake it at about 375degrees for 15minutes or until crispy..yum, little snack.

If you have the hot dogs per your ()...those aren't so bad either, kinda tasty. If you want an American hot dog..that is pretty much a good brand. Hebrew National is a better choice..imo.Now I'll :stfu: before I get hungry. :biggrin:jpt

the pl;ace with the OM Bacon also has their hotdogs..... I was thinking I get some, and the tub of Corndog batter mix......

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Thick cut slab bacon, from the local meat market, is best!

If you really want to wrap something in bacon, might I suggest scallops!!!!!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Hebrew National is a better choice". One of my favorite all beef hotdogs and actually having for lunch today, yum. Bacon wrapped scallops, hotdogs are all good. Is there anything not good wrapped in bacon. :tiphat:SR[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

norcal_sourD

Nathan's for the win!! As far as bacon, the streaky bacon looks like your best bet. But dude, I live in the States and have yet to make a bacon doughnut cheesburger. Gunna have to put that on the 'ol bucket list.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Hebrew National is a better choice". One of my favorite all beef hotdogs and actually having for lunch today, yum. Bacon wrapped scallops, hotdogs are all good. Is there anything not good wrapped in bacon. :tiphat:SR[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Hebrew Bacon?,,,,,, Really? surely the Universe would collapse upon itself were such a thing to exist..... Whatever next, Catholic Friday sausages.....:biggrin:

Yeh don't think Hebrews do pork dogs. Nathans are definitely a good one. Not sure about a doughnut burger, but do love a spicy burger with jalapeno bacon if you can find some, hot pepper cheese, fire hot pickles, red onion and mayo mixed with your favorite hot sauce on the bun. Can do a hot dog the same if you want. Had some sliced pickled cayenne, onion, tomato and my favorite dijon mustard frenches on my dog today. Better than grey poupon for dijon, but like many different mustards. Coleslaw if good is a nice twist too. Hungry again...:tiphat:SR

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Yeh don't think Hebrews do pork dogs. Nathans are definitely a good one. Not sure about a doughnut burger, but do love a spicy burger with jalapeno bacon if you can find some, hot pepper cheese, fire hot pickles, red onion and mayo mixed with your favorite hot sauce on the bun. Can do a hot dog the same if you want. Had some sliced pickled cayenne, onion, tomato and my favorite dijon mustard frenches on my dog today. Better than grey poupon for dijon, but like many different mustards. Coleslaw if good is a nice twist too. Hungry again...:tiphat:SR

It seems I suffered a reading comprehension fail. Beef hotdogs, not bacon.... The Universe is safe:biggrin:

Hello there kind sir. I will Gwadly pay you Tuewsday for a bacwon Hombuwger today. :kos:C99, she so fine:woohoo::smoker:. Dang Mr icon, slow down and and hold that shit in a little.:tiphat:SR

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I get local bacon.. fuck Oscar...... just ate a few pieces.... when pig season comes up I will make my own...oink oink

Nice avatar Stonedtrout. Trout one of my favorites and never thought to smoke it that way. Just wrap that smoked trout in some of your homemade bacon. Yes sir. What time is dinner. Chicken tonight, no trout, but soon hopefully.:tiphat: SR

Latest posts

Latest posts