What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are you a seed hoarder?

brown_thumb

I keep my collection in the freezer with no ill effects.

When i want to germinate any seeds i will put them into the fridge for a couple of days to acclimatize.

I would never go from the freezer to say a 24 hour soak, would be definitely asking for trouble.

Yeah, if anything freezing will prolong viability. You just need to "thaw" them carefully.

Interesting... I hadn't considered the possibility of some kind of temperature 'shock factor'. Link to data?

CHEFfy

Anecdotal at best ��. I guess for me it made sense to try to avoid "transplant shock" at all costs ($10ish/seed) so I just did it that way.

yts farmer

Veteran
Interesting... I hadn't considered the possibility of some kind of temperature 'shock factor'. Link to data?

Like cheffy said it's not scientific.

Years back i didn't use that method and i would go from freezer to 24 hour soak and i would get totally shity germ rates, my seed collection is pretty old got seeds ranging from maybe 8-12 years old.

Not saying going from freezer to warm water is the reason for my shitty germ rates back then but i believe it contributed along with some damping off.

So switched it up to 2 or 3 days in fridge from freezer, 24 hour soak in water with few drops of liquid oxygen, papertowel method with water few drops liquid oxygen, bang it in the airing cupboard in Tupperware.

Since switching to this method my germ rates in my old beans have gone all the way upppp.

Peace.

meizzwang

technically not a seedwhore, since I don't sell my body for seeds, but much like many fellow members here, I'm whore-like in my seed collecting :)

quick tip: if you produce your own seeds, you can keep them viable for more than a decade using the following proven method. 13 year old seeds had 100% germination using this method, and batches that were made 5-8 years ago consistently get 100% germination:
1) harvest fully mature seeds from fresh flowers and let them dry for 2 days maximum at room temperature. Before harvesting the whole flower, pick a few seeds out and make sure they're totally brown, this is key to maintaining longevity. If you smoke cigarettes, either wear gloves or disinfect your hands with rubbing alcohol to ensure you don't transmit tobacco mosaic virus to your seeds. Ideally, approx. 65F temps with very low humidity is the best. I place them in a little bowl with a paper label thrown in. Be sure to keep the room dark and with relatively low humidity.
2) With a few seeds, I keep the bract stuck to a few seeds. This helps me verify that the seeds are dry: if the bracts are still moist, you need to wait another day or two before bagging them up. On the other hand, if they're dry, you're ready to go to the next step.

2) be sure all plant material is removed from the seeds and seal them in a ziplock, airtight baggie or container. Get all the air out of the container if you can. Be sure seeds are labeled with cross, any important details, and date of course. I don't like using jars or other containers that have dead air space, that air can get loaded with water or slowly oxidize the seeds over time. in a vacuum sealed container, there's less shit to react with the seeds over time.
3) place into the refrigerator and forget about them until you're ready to use them again. Don't take them out, don't open the baggies, etc.
4) When you do take them out, let the seeds slowly warm up to room temperature before opening. If you open them right away, moisture in the air may condense onto the seeds and Ef up your shelf life.

Humidity and heat are one of your worst enemies when it comes to seed shelf life. Extreme cold (with some exceptions under precise circumstances) can also mess things up. If somehow your seeds absorb small amounts of moisture over time from leaks in your container, it'll kill the shelf life of your seeds.

When harvesting, the idea is to keep your seeds dry, but not so dry that it jacks the "meat" inside the seed coat. I've found if you dry them out too much after harvesting, for whatever reason, they just don't last decades. In our mediterranean climate, the 2 day drying method consistently works, but if you live in a more humid environment, you might have to tweek your drying conditions and timing a bit to get the same results.

brown_thumb

I've never frozen a seed and my storage times in the frig are only a few months. I've popped approximately 100 seeds and only one or two didn't germinate.

St. Phatty

What I've been holding off sprouting because of plant count considerations -

Liberty Haze x Blue Widow
2Haze x Lemon Bubble Kush
Sugar Black Rose x ( Candyland x Apollo 11 )

And the thought does go through my mind, whenever I see a chest freezer for sale, "yes, have got to get one of those." (to store seeds)

thejact55

I count mine by weight. I weigh out 100 seeds of each strain. Then weigh each strain out and figure it out from there. By my last count, i have made around 6000 beans...but that was a run or two back, so we'll say 7000 or so by now.
And then there are the countless breeder or collected beans i havent gotten to, couple hundred worth easy, probably more.
Then vegitable and garden seeds, hundreds more.
Then exotic and tropical flower/tree type seeds, hundreds more.
But im not a whore. My wife just thinks im batshit crazy. But im just a seed storage facility. Lol i have my own seed fridge. Not weird at all.

djimb

Veteran
My wife just thinks im batshit crazy. But im just a seed storage facility. Lol i have my own seed fridge. Not weird at all.

Man, I've wanted to get a mini fridge just for seeds for a while. The top shelf of the kitchen fridge is occupied by cannabis and veggie seeds I've collected over the years. My wife rolls her eyes whenever we're served fresh chilies at Indian or Thai restaurants, 'cause she knows I'm going to save the seeds. I've even asked for rocoto seeds at a Peruvian restaurant.

thejact55

Lol, seeds at those resturants aint a bad idea.
My wife got me the mini fridge for christmas one year. She was sick of one of her bottom veggie trays taken up with seeds.
Ill have to look up rocoto.

Spaventa

Veteran
Not willingly. Im up for handing some over to other to grow and evaluate for us both. All I would ask is a bowl of each to try and a cut of any keepers.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can never have too many seeds. Give away, grow them, scatter them along streams, donate to veterans grow groups. We've done it all! ;o)

Dawe

I'll never be able to grow out all the seeds I currently posses, and I still make and buy more. There is just soooo much variety and and it is nice to have a lot of variety of something I like a lot..

It's just fun collecting really.. so yea I'm a seed hoarder..

brown_thumb

I have four reasons why I store various seeds...

1. I may not have access to purchase soon (draconian laws).
2. I'm unsure of the strains I need to treat a specific health issue.
3. I'm a lousy gardener and kill many plants (I need extra seeds).
4. I'm not a breeder... 'maybe' I can clone.