What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are you a seed hoarder?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I guess I am a hoarder as I have enough strains to last a decade or two of steady growing.

I refrigerate my beans in airtight containers. If I go to freezing I will place them within a bag of ice to ensure they stay frozen. I am assuming the bag of ice will stay frozen hehe.

I think with good refrigeration I can get 20 years or more out of them. At least 15. Frozen could last almost forever. If a strain is a must have, you can make f2's every 10 years, if not freezing them.

OregonBorn

I've read that freezing can damage seeds if they have too much moisture content. However, that may be less common than I thought... I don't know. For now, I'm keeping mine in small ziplock bags inside an insulated (bubble) envelope in my refrigerator at approximately 37 degrees F.

Here in the west and in particular California where I was when I froze most of my seeds, they were dry as a witch's left tit before freezing. I have moved my seeds with me up and down the west coast, keeping them in defroster freezers and regular chest freezers. It has had zero impact on them. They are just wrapped in paper envelopes in plastic bags inside plastic boxes. I have also moved and they have defrosted for several days in many move cycles now. Again, zero impact. 100% germination in the last grow season. Some of those seeds were 20 years old, some were 10 years old. These plants evolved in and survived through multiple ice ages in Siberia and Mongolia. They also grow wild in the European and Asian Stepps, where they have wicked winters.

IMO, way too much is made out of this. Just wrap 'em, make sure they are dry, keep 'em dry and freeze them. In the dry and dusty west of the Rockies US anyway. I do not know about the massively humid south and east coast. May not work as well there.

Last edited:

OregonBorn

Yeah, I guess I am a hoarder as I have enough strains to last a decade or two of steady growing.

I have enough seeds for 10 lifetimes of growing, even if I do not cross or save any more. Dunno what I am going to do with them when I croak. Maybe leave them to a dedicated grower in Europe or two that I know. No, not anyone in Holland... geez. They have enough seeds. And most of those are the same genetics. Mine are mostly bag weed seed from around the globe, and early heirlooms from the western states. Not all of them are the most potent, but they definitely have a wide range of terpenes and phenotypes.

brown_thumb

I had 400 seeds yesterday. I sold a few and now only have 370. Damn... gotta replenish my stash next month.

Yeah, I know... compared to some of you folks, I'm a lightweight.:)

A

acdc

down to my last 200 I must grab some more now where do I get them from again:biggrin::biggrin:

rolandomota

you actually sold some brown thumb? I sound surprised because no one ever wants to buy any seeds around here (tx) but they get all excited with bag seed from expensive grams of who knows what the herm pollinates it. But they will take all the free seeds you will give them but tell them its a dollar a seed and the look on their face changes to disappointment lol what the fuck? Is a dollar a seed really that expensive? O well what am i going to do? Some people just dont get how expensive some seeds really are. The best thing to do is to let people be stupid.

Im afraid of my seeds being thrown out by mistake by someone in the house thats why i dont trust the fridge and instead i try to buy super fresh seeds that will germinate even if i grow them years later

brown_thumb

you actually sold some brown thumb? I sound surprised because no one ever wants to buy any seeds around here (tx) but they get all excited with bag seed from expensive grams of who knows what the herm pollinates it. But they will take all the free seeds you will give them but tell them its a dollar a seed and the look on their face changes to disappointment lol what the fuck? Is a dollar a seed really that expensive? O well what am i going to do? Some people just dont get how expensive some seeds really are. The best thing to do is to let people be stupid.

Im afraid of my seeds being thrown out by mistake by someone in the house thats why i dont trust the fridge and instead i try to buy super fresh seeds that will germinate even if i grow them years later

I'm right here with you, Roland... right smack dab in the middle of heaven and hell. Viva la Tejas, mi amigo!!

One of my neighbor friends is more savvy regarding strains. I owed him some money for which he took partial repayment in seeds. He's also bought some seeds with cash... these are all seeds he wants. I'm just happy to have repaid him fairly and on time. I never make profit and am losing money BIG-TIME overall. I'll sell seeds at cost and share a lot of smoke with moochers.

I have another neighbor friend who wants me to give him seeds for free... which he promptly kills. On average he comes by 3x per week asking for free weed. I'm tiring of that very quickly.

kaneboy

Im joining this club lol i am a seed hoarder.
I have more than will ever need in my life but i just cant stop grabbing more when some new strain pops up.There is so many more strains i want and i dare say i will get .But i am steadily growing thru a lot looking and playing around.I have a few strains i may grow out to make f2s soon .Lately ive been on a chem bender grabbing a lot of chemdog crosses .

CHEFfy

Have about a lifetime worth of seeds to pop, just stopped buying seeds a couple months ago and I'm still twitching when see new offerings. I keep em in breeder packs or little Manila packets if my own breeding inside of a half gallon mason jar with an absurdly oversized silica packet all rolled into a brown paper bag. Always just refrigerated but recently set aside a few choice packs that I had multiples of in the deep freeze with same style of packaging. Just cracked some 10+ yr old chimera seeds with 100% strike rate. I think the main culprits of non-viability are any type of moisture (hence silica packet) and light. Obviously lower temperature helps in the long-run and this is all anecdotal evidence but it works for me. I guess time will truly tell, maybe I'll pop some of the freezer packets in 30 years and will find myself full of shit when they don't crack!

soundman

I was a big time hoarder. Had strains to die for. Gave them away, well except a few, when I thought I was done growing and moved from Burbank. The seeds I kept were not good phenos of what they were.

In the end I was recently blessed with a lifetime supply of seeds from a very cool breeder on the forum.

So I guess I am a hoarder again, be it all from the same seed company.

I store my seeds in vac sealed mason jar with a bit of rice stored in the fridge.

OregonBorn

I guess time will truly tell, maybe I'll pop some of the freezer packets in 30 years and will find myself full of shit when they don't crack!

Do not worry my son. They will germinate! Much research was done on this and published in the 1970s/1980s. Most of the experiments were done in Japan, as I recall. The older book, Marijuana Potency has a good section on freezing seeds and lists several sources of published experiments.

OregonBorn

Funny, I have never bought a single Cannabis seed. As a seed that is. I bought many many pounds of bag weed back in the day. The seeds were all free! They GAVE us the genetics on a silver platter! Er, that is in plastic bags. I never in my wildest dreams thought that seeds would sell for $10 and up! Each!

I have traded seeds over the years. And people have given me seeds over the years. And I have supplied growers with seeds over the years. I have one package that has over 1,000 'lombo seeds from a friend that saved them from a dozen or so different oz's that he had bought. Low grade bricked lowland red and brown to top grade gold and punto rojo. All mixed up. Testing them every few years as my exemplars, they have always popped at least 75%.

yts farmer

Veteran
I thought i used to be years back when icmag used to do the weekend specials.

In those days i used to buy seeds for fun but stopped that long ago, now im trying not to buy any new strains and work with what ive got. Trouble is with all these new starins and fancy names most of my stuff would be considered old hat.

Peace.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
In a previous mental state I was terrible hoarder - waay too much collection, no way to actually use them myself. Big bux invested over 10 years or so. Gave 90% away (and barely got any thank you's from any of the lucky recipients - so much for stoner family vibe). Now I have MUCH smaller collection, it's a little more focused toward my growing them & I resist 99% of the urges to "just add 1 more thing".

rolandomota

Yea people are ungrateful i would say "hey i will give you the seeds just bring me a bud of each plant you grow so i can try them" i would never see shit so fuck all that if they want seeds they can order them or collect some themselves like i have fuck them. They even have the nerve to talk shit about the seeds but no samples again fuck them.
I try to collect a small supply of strains i feel i can grow for the rest of my life so i dont have to be buying anything but even that starts getting expensive really quick.

Hopefully i can finish my collection in a couple of months by this time next year i want my seed collection finished im poor as fuck so forget buying everything im interested in i just want the super strong malawi its hybrids some blueberry and ptk to make my own hybrids to malawi because indica aint my thing but pine and blueberry flavors i want them

I admit.....I'm a seed ho. About ten years ago I had my seed reefer set to too low a temp and when winter came it got even colder inside it. Froze and killed my whole collection. I lost over a hundred strains and had to start all over. Now I'm paranoid about keeping them in a reefer so I just store them in a dark cool cabinet. You learn from living.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's good to have a nice stash (assorted selections) and good to give away. Those not saying thank you...well, the karma is on them.

yts farmer

Veteran
I admit.....I'm a seed ho. About ten years ago I had my seed reefer set to too low a temp and when winter came it got even colder inside it. Froze and killed my whole collection. I lost over a hundred strains and had to start all over. Now I'm paranoid about keeping them in a reefer so I just store them in a dark cool cabinet. You learn from living.

I keep my collection in the freezer with no ill effects.

When i want to germinate any seeds i will put them into the fridge for a couple of days to acclimatize.

I would never go from the freezer to say a 24 hour soak, would be definitely asking for trouble.

Peace.

I keep my collection in the freezer with no ill effects.

When i want to germinate any seeds i will put them into the fridge for a couple of days to acclimatize.

I would never go from the freezer to say a 24 hour soak, would be definitely asking for trouble.

Peace.

That was probably my problem. It took me a while to figure out that they were being frozen. Hell, I may have tossed out some good beans then. Oh well, life sucks, then you die.:blowbubbles: