What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Use Doubles Risk of Collisions

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As reported by CNN-

(CNN) -- We hear a lot about the hazards of drunk driving, but here's something else to put on your radar: A study in the British Medical Journal found that marijuana nearly doubles the risk of vehicle collisions.

Researchers conducted a systematic review of nine studies on the subject of marijuana and driving accidents, which incorporated almost 50,000 participants.

Alcohol impairs drivers' speed and reaction time, while cannabis affects spatial location, said Mark Asbridge, associate professor in the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Among impaired drivers, fatally injured drivers, and motor vehicle crash victims, marijuana is the most prevalent illegal drug that has been detected, according to the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Drivers who have recently smoked marijuana may follow cars too closely, and swerve in and out of lanes, Asbridge said.

People who are impaired by alcohol often recognize that they're impaired by alcohol, but "people under the influence of cannabis often deny feeling impaired in any way," Asbridge noted.

It's not unusual for young people to go to a party and give the "designated driver" responsibility to the person who uses marijuana, Asbridge said.

"There clearly is a lot of misconception about the extent to which cannabis impairs performance," he said. "People just don't believe it."

As with alcohol, cannabis has different effects on different people. People metabolize cannabis in different ways. Some inhale more than others.

The effects of cannabis tend to wear off within three to four hours, whereas alcohol can mess your thinking up longer. Depending on how much you drank, you may not be able to drive for up to 12 hours after you finish drinking.

If the driver is 35 or younger, there's a higher likelihood of marijuana consumption leading to collisions, previous research has found.

There's not enough information known about the effects of marijuana doses on collisions - in other words, what level of cannabis in a person's system correlates most with crashes.

And Asbridge's conclusions are based on observational studies, meaning there were no controlled conditions imposed to look at the effects of marijuana.

One problem in some of the existing research is that there was no measurement of cannabis within two to three hours of driving. Inactive metabolites of THC, a chemical found in marijuana, can be present in urine for weeks or even a month after usage; marijuana usage so long ago would not affect driving performance or collisions. So Asbridge's group looked only at studies where there was a recent measurement. They also looked at studies that looked at both drivers who used marijuana and those who did not to compare the collision rate.

To deter marijuana usage just before driving, there is roadside testing for cannabis in Australia, western Europe and the United States, Wayne Hall of the University of Queensland in Australia said in an accompanying editorial.

Hall called for further research to evaluating the impact of roadside drug testing on preventing driver deaths connected to vehicle accidents and cannabis use.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do love their fair way to make information...

No,seriously,what's that shit?:dunno:

Researchers conducted a systematic review of nine studies on the subject of marijuana and driving accidents, which incorporated almost 50,000 participants.

To deter marijuana usage just before driving, there is roadside testing for cannabis in Australia, western Europe and the United States, Wayne Hall of the University of Queensland in Australia said in an accompanying editorial.

Readin just this tell me it's another gross page of propaganda...Am i paranoid?

No,I don't think so...but for sure i'm tired to be the target of those reactionnary politician/media people...

People who are impaired by alcohol often recognize that they're impaired by alcohol, but "people under the influence of cannabis often deny feeling impaired in any way," Asbridge noted.
So drunks are the rational ones? Good one. I actually laughed typing that out. Oh, excellent reporting there, CNN.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Well, I know I've seen "when I'm high I drive more slowly", so most of the cannabis users I know are well aware of their impairment.

That said, driving drunk, tired, high or on a cell phone is dangerous.. and there's plenty of reasons to avoid doing any of them.

"As with alcohol, cannabis has different effects on different people. People metabolize cannabis in different ways. Some inhale more than others. "

lol!!!

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
It's CNN they skew the news as bad a Fox and all the rest. I'm surprised Wolf Blitzer didn't have a, ALERT on the screen BREAKING BS tune in now.

G

greenmatter

......... and now a message from our sponsor ..... Anheiser Busch

i would not call driving high "responsible behavior" any more than i would call this story "unbiased reporting"

greenpinky

Man when I'm high I pay attention way better to driving.... I got a.d.d. so when I'm not high my minds going a thousand miles a second, and I'm not paying attention to driving, just me tho

S

SeaMaiden

Wow. Just. Fucking. Wow. First they say that being high makes cannabis users more aware of surroundings and fearful of screwing up, and now it's the opposite? How'd they draw their conclusions? Did they interview all 50,000 'participants', or just look at what drugs came up on tests? I think the latter, and we know what road that leads down. Seriously? Yes, seriously.

The groundwork laid.

sso

Veteran
isnt that far back people were fired in the uk for giving the "wrong" result.

i doubt many uk scientific studies on the matter have any true credibility anymore.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I GUARANTEE that the results in this study involve days or even WEEKS old cannabis metabolites in the systems of those involved in the accident. There's NO way to tell for sure if these people were high at the time of the accident.

I call bullshit!

Sour Deez

whem im sober im one aggressive driver, its pretty much guaranteed there will be some fingers exchanged and some profanities. Im definitely crossing the double yellow to pass someone doing 1mph under the speed limit.

Give me a couple hits before i leave and you can fit a tractor trailer between me and the car in front of me, and ill probably be the one getting passed for driving to slow.

I would prefer to drive stoned, i havent got in one accident since, and trust me, ive been in plenty before. I had to drive home the other night tired as shit, it was scary, all the sidden my eyes would open and i had no clue what happen the last 5 miles, or if i was asleep the whole time?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
This contradicts the televised test the BBC did a couple of yrs ago, in a couple of cases the MJ smoker did better after a smoke than they did 'clean'

The whole programme set out to 'prove' MJ trashed your driving, it ended up proving the opposite and did they try some tricky tests

Grass Lands

Veteran
Drivers who have recently smoked marijuana may follow cars too closely, and swerve in and out of lanes, Asbridge said.

who the fuck, er where the fuck did they do this study...

If the above statement were fact...that means the entire population who drives would be high on cannabis...and the most prolific abuser would be law enforcement. go fucking figure...

Macahcar

It has always been like this, I hate the fact that they are willing to pull bullshit out they're ass to put down this wonderful plant. Much rather take a few hits and relax behind the wheel than be sober and road raged flipping the bird all the way to my destination... Smoke on ya'll!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Skip

Veteran
Yes, complete bullshit. I don't see where they controlled for OTHER DRUGS or people using marijuana AND alcohol. If so there would be a separate accounting of how MIXED drug use fared while driving. But they don't show that, do they?

In fact I find it hard to believe that in Britain they could find 50,000 people who used marijuana WITH NO ALCOHOL... That's just not the British way!

So it's complete BS, and they're trying SO HARD cause they know legalization is on the ballot, so they're using FEAR TACTICS again to get ppl to vote against legalization.

Funny the US has to rely on FOREIGN studies to spread the fear...

And as you can see it's a COORDINATED effort between the UK, Australia and the US to propagandize Americans on this issue.

Latest posts

Latest posts