What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oregon Clone Scene? Legit?

Jdogdabface

Whats up Oregon.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there knew what the deal was with the clone scene in Oregon, particularly in the greater Portland area.
From what I've seen the clone scene isn't too legit. Theres not a lot of shops that carry clones, and those that do hardly look good. Ive seen some Cali clones that look impeccable, i assume this is because professional growers obviously choose mothers out of larger gene pools, and have the knowledge to really get to the goodies taking the strain into and F2, and further, really hunting down the full potential of what the grower sees that strain to be. I have come across a few clones that did pretty good though, some GG#4 and some other strains, I've also seen a handful of clone only strains? Does anyone know the legitimacy of these, or the source of them?
Hope someone can relate and maybe fill me in on the clone scene

merkaba

We have gotten clones from numerous dispensaries and only Progressive Collective had legit genetics in our experience. Oregon's Finest also had some true to their name genetics. It is our experience that a lot of it is feeble attempts at making crosses to emulate renowned genetics. I would love to know of a legit source.

Dankwolf

I have good luck with solar organics from at adipensery. Been legit 3 out of 4 times . no i dont work for them in any way or form .

BigFoote

I lived in california previously and in my experience it was about 50/50 getting good genetics and something straight up fake. My best clone strain I ever got was something they called "Super OG" and it was off craigslist. I have since gone to seed only and just keep some moms. Clones weren't worth the hassle, especially when they came with spider mites.

My point is I think the whole clone scene is pretty sketchy everywhere. Best to go with a place that has been running a long time with good reviews in my experience.

Dankwolf

Oregon clone scene has went down considerably over the last few month just embarrassing looking at what is avaiable localy compered to the beggining of the year.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the clone scene in Oregon ??? well , let me put it this way .... I live in NY & I have 2 guys there that get clones from me because the dispos there are SHIT !!! :biggrin:

bugs galore , unhealthy clones , miss labled clones etc .....

My best advise ...Befriend a larger scale outdoor grower. Have received several cuts that were clean- clean, organic grown and as advertised. Lemon diesel, Harlequin, Obama etc

I only go to the dispensaries when in between..., clones have seen (very few) are rough. Would never take one home....

frostqueen

As far as 'real deal' clone onlys go... it might be a good time to head over to Phylos Bioscience and take a look at the early results in their genetics galaxy. It turns out that a huge number of samples submitted to them that are claimed by the submitters to be "definitely real deal!" are... definitely not. It's a total genetic clusterfuck at this point.

The re-name game played by some growers and sellers (AKA lying) just to get their weed and clones sold has rendered many popular names virtually useless at this point. There are either ten different names for any given clone-only genotype like Blue Magoo, or ten different genotypes for any given name, and the only way to verify what might actually be the 'real deal' is for the DNA submitter to also submit tissue from the parent plants... which usually isn't possible.

Seedling knock-offs are also a huge cause for this genetic clusterfuckery. Jimbob Jones crosses his Grandaddy Purp with some other shitty strain and then continues to call it 'The Real Granddaddy'? Multiply that many times over. Or: "say, I found and grew out a bag seed in my sack of Berner's Girl Scout Cookies, so I'm calling that plant Berner, too!"

All of these people claiming to know they definitely have the real deal because they are connected to the right people? Yeah. They aren't immune to this problem either. This has been going on for so long now that even those folks may have the wrong versions. Obviously somebody still has the real versions, but getting a consensus agreement about what genotype actually gets that title will be next to impossible now.

That isn't to say that the versions that we have are not excellent genotypes; just that we are going to all have one hell of a time agreeing upon which one will get the 'real deal' title.

Interesting to note that the newer the clone-only, the less this is a problem. Finding the real Blue Dream or Gorilla Glue #4 or Dogwalker OG is pretty easy. It's the older clone-onlys that are a total crap shoot. I'll bring up Blue Magoo again as a good example. Everyone swears that theirs is "definitely the real one", yet there are a bunch of genos submitted, and a bunch of different names that turn up for each geno...

OregonBorn

Clones legit in PDX? In most cases, if you know who to go to. Like the OMMP people. Big problem here right now with genetics is that new rec license growers have a few months to scavenge all the plants that they want within Oregon, and that has most sources tapped out. O/w its a crap shoot like buying bag weed. It depends highly on the seller. In many cases strains have been re-seeded or crossed and are losing their potency. Some strains are being lost because they are not on the hot list, or are hard to find because they are on the hot list. For example, legit strains of GDP are hard to find, but not just here. I have friends in Hawaii looking for good GDP cut. I am looking for one myself now...

Mr Jay

Veteran
Clones in Portland have been a crap game. Most of what I see are burnt little plants sticking out of moldy cubes.

Bonsai moms and popping from seed are the way to go, as always. If you want clone only strains you need to know people.

Aota1

There's a newly licensed grower in Eugene called the Original Grape Company and they're specializing in purple strains. They do indoor flower and clones and I'm working on getting a few trays in. They told me they have rooted cuts of sunset sherbert, sour d, chocolate hashberry, and dr. Who now with more to come. In Portland I would be checking archive personally.

Mr Jay

Veteran
And would you be checking there personally because it is your shop? You might want to be a little more open about the fact you're pimping your own wares on ICmag.

The fact you omitted this makes me lose faith in your word.

Aota1

I have never been to archive and am definitely not employed by them. Wow. Just going from advice of friends i trust. Peace

Mr Jay

Veteran
I apologize. This post was very confusing and the wording made it seem like it was your shop.

Archive is now rec in Portland and you can count on their clones. Like another poster mentioned, we sell clones from wild west and their menu is large. At my shop you preorder and pick up when they're dropped off. I can tell you that they have some quality genetics as well as a few i personally question and let my customers know about.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7791725&postcount=26

Aota1

No worries. I can understand the confusion. I manage a small dispensary in Eugene and stock clones from multiple growers when I can get them but I've seen a lot of subpar cuttings running around. I am vigilant as to what i will take in. I have heard that archive has quality clones and I believe they're increasing production. Seeing the finished product from their clones a handful of times tells me it's decent. I'm on this site as a grower and student only, no underlying intentions. Just love and passion for the plant.

And i should edit that quoted post - am sure I was overly medicated when I wrote that. Sometimes it doesn't come out or translate as intended.

OregonBorn

Archive is online, but they do not list any clones on their site. The clones button just comes up with a blank page.