What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ebb and flow reservoir temp

JollyGrnGrower

Hi, I am fairly new to growing and would like some advice from someone with experience with ebb and flow systems. I am curious about how necessary it is to keep a cool reservoir temp? And how often should I flush and with what? (Fyi I'm on a budget)

Some details about my setup:
Modular ebb and flow
5 gallon buckets (Hydroton)
35 gallon reservoir
Current reservoir temp range (74-79)
Reservoir change every 1-2 weeks

Andyo

Veteran
Hi, I am fairly new to growing and would like some advice from someone with experience with ebb and flow systems. I am curious about how necessary it is to keep a cool reservoir temp? And how often should I flush and with what? (Fyi I'm on a budget)

Some details about my setup:
Modular ebb and flow
5 gallon buckets (Hydroton)
35 gallon reservoir
Current reservoir temp range (74-79)
Reservoir change every 1-2 weeks

Well ive run ebb/flow buckets with hydoton 20+ years
mostly in europe.
I moved to 9 degs off the equator and set up ebb/flow buckets even with ac the res temperature too high
rez temp of 27 c initially.
In the EU i aimed for 20c res temps
In pot PH is rarely what the res is 1 hour after a flood you need cation and anion ballance in the nutes with hydroton

I found an answer to cope with high res temps that was letting hydroton pots dry out so the plants where harder.
Then i got a chiller and tried that on 1kw set up out of 4 in the same room .Easy to make comparisons.

Just set up ,glue off gassing,and testing parameters.
pump duration and timing.The rez is 300 ltrs capacity i stupidly didnt think to put a 2 inch sheet of polystyrene under it and on the sides so the tiled floor and building heat warmed it up.A

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Mid 70's is fine for a res. I'd keep it below 80F for sure, and your root zones should be around 72-75F anyway. Lower and they'll grow slower, higher temps and you run the risk of root rot.

Growing means learning. You're in the right place for the information. :D

Welcome to ICMag!! :D

JollyGrnGrower

Thank you both so much, I appreciate the advice. I just finished cleaning and insulating a bigger 55 gallon reservoir in an attempt to keep temperatures in the optimal zone :good:

tiffa

Mid 70's is fine for a res. I'd keep it below 80F for sure, and your root zones should be around 72-75F anyway. Lower and they'll grow slower, higher temps and you run the risk of root rot.

Growing means learning. You're in the right place for the information. :D

Welcome to ICMag!! :D

Please don't listen to this advice. If you do, you will kill your plants with root rot. Douglas.Curtis is 10 degrees off. Mid 60's is the temp range you need.