What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COB Chip Integrated Smart IC Driver

Firebrand

COB Chip Integrated Smart IC Driver

I'd like to say that I am not an advocate for, nor do I work for the manufacture or the seller or Ebay, I am simply bringing it to attention.

This is a 50w, COB type LED, with incorporated driver/power supply. A really simplistic approach to DIY LED lighting. No concerns as to matching drivers, no complicated wiring, and get this, the price is crazy cheap, under $2 a unit with free shipping from China. The only thing the DIY guy needs is an appropriate heatsink and some thermal paste and he's up and running.

I just ordered 8 of these for a test run, I'm hoping that these are usable as a substitution for an HID. After I get the parts I will update this thread. As for my heatsink, I plan to use a standard Dell CPU sink that is often found on Ebay, these sinks should easily handle 100 watts in a passive set up using only a circulation/exhaust fan. I payed $11.97 for 8 pieces, and I have already collected 4 of the sinks. These chips have a 180 degree beam angle so it might be necessary to construct a reflective hood out of aluminum flashing.

Here are the links for both the LED's and sinks (you might have to search for the sinks as they sometimes go fast). I'm thinking that I should be able to mount 2 chips on each sink, I'll post photos of my build once it starts.

The chip:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/110v-220v-LED-Floodlight-20-30-50W-Cool-Warm-White-COB-Chip-Smart-IC-Driver-Lamp/252916658024?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=551930516470&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
The sink:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimen...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Mago

i'm happy with these leds..
Attention is getting very hot,i use them on water bloc.

sorry for my english.

Sinfor

As long as I know the white LEDs are 595nm.
The full spectrum
attachment.php

Electrical test with a 6in1 combo meter
attachment.php

Soon I will post results compared with one 100w full spectrum running at 33v 1000mA

Sinfor

Already have some results, i finished drying them today
I have to clarify that i am mostly an outdoor grower, i just was trying with this leds(Full spectrum)
1- both are clones from same mother that was already blooming, I got them because I broke a branch so I decided to keep them.
2- I put them in a 1gl pot and direct to a 12/12 light cycle from the beginning
3- organic soil as always use
4- watering every 2-3 days
5- temperature around 30°C, humidity 60-65%

How they look, left one is the 100w FS

attachment.php

Am going to weigh them

Sinfor

Grams per watt after 10 weeks.
attachment.php

100w FS at 33w(23.24gr)
attachment.php

50w FS at 57w(19.27gr)
attachment.php

Tomorrow I will take a close up of these buds, they feel a little fluffy but smell good and I can see a lot of trichomes, shining like diamonds :dance013:

Firebrand

I ordered these on July 1st, early tracking stopped on July 4th, at that time they were leaving the retailer and headed for shipping, after that, nothing until today, July 21st.

The parts are now in the states, the USPS has them in Chicago, they should be delivered by 25th. This, in my opinion is the downside of ordering from China, slow to arrive and limited tracking.

Cvh

Supermod
Thanks for the tip. But how do you connect these? At power directly to the L and N spot on the chip?

zeox

Those COBs have very poor lumen per watt output. They rarely exceed 80 lm/w.
You're better off with T5's or PL-L's than those.

I have tried them for a general lighting application, not for growing. But they fall way behind a good DC COB.
A decent DC COB should give at least 110-120 lm/w.

Firebrand

Those COBs have very poor lumen per watt output. They rarely exceed 80 lm/w.
You're better off with T5's or PL-L's than those.

I have tried them for a general lighting application, not for growing. But they fall way behind a good DC COB.
A decent DC COB should give at least 110-120 lm/w.
I spent $12 on these, I did a little on line research, posted a few videos, did a little writing, and if I can save others the aggravation of buying and dealing with an inferior product then it's worth it, on the other hand, if these are a viable option then that's alright too, either way it's win-win.

I am in effect giving back to the community that has given to me so much, I'm thankful.

zeox

I spent $12 on these, I did a little on line research, posted a few videos, did a little writing, and if I can save others the aggravation of buying and dealing with an inferior product then it's worth it, on the other hand, if these are a viable option then that's alright too, either way it's win-win.

I am in effect giving back to the community that has given to me so much, I'm thankful.

Don't get me wrong. I hope they do what you need them to do.
It is just that I have a not so good opinion about them :)
You can always go the "Stalin" way.... Quantity over quality :) And it will probably work. As long as you don't get any failures.

Whatever happens I would love to see the outcome :)

Cree has partnered with Osram and others and are coming out with an IC driver chip for ALL leds. These were just the first step in IC drivers for leds. check out ledmagazine they have an article about these new drivers being developed just for leds.
namaste

Firebrand

The LED/driver mods arrived today. I'm whooped, so I'm not going to write much tonight. I did half ass wire one up real quick, to the naked eye they seem to be very bright. Please give me a day or two or three and I'll try to get a report and photos up.

Firebrand

I said I would get back to this, so this is where I'm at.....

I may have bit off a little more than I can chew with this project. You see, I'm kinda old and my eyes aren't what they use to be, and I'm not set up for scope soldering, and the lands on these mods are tiny. So, I'm kinda going to be forced into attaching the leads in a sort of bad way, using fine wire at the lands and then stepping up to larger, it's probably going to look funky, but for now it's what I might have to do.

I tried soldering speaker wire to them but couldn't get a good enough bond, I'm going to try it one more time, if it fails again it will be on to plan two, the fine wire/step up.

More on this in another day or two.