What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where is Edge of Civilization in Bay Area Cal?

Hey y'all,

Looking to move out to Cali in a few years and want to start looking to get an idea of property pricing and locations as the days move forward.

Thinking closer to the San Fran Bay Area, but inland enough where I'm away from the hustle and bustle unless I want to drive over and be immersed in it. Anyone have any suggestions?

theJointedOne

Veteran
Really depends on your budget. If you have money the north bay is nice, south bay can be nice, east bay can be a tad cheaper, up the delta is cheapest

Really depends on your budget. If you have money the north bay is nice, south bay can be nice, east bay can be a tad cheaper, up the delta is cheapest

Thanks for your reply! :tiphat:

Being from a different region, I have no idea what your reference points mean. Any city/town names you can drop in so that I can better triangulate for real estate hunting?

Are you moving out here to grow? How close you wanna be to The City? Like jointed one said, it really depends on your budget. Especially when you mention Bay Area. Give us a little more info and I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

Are you moving out here to grow? How close you wanna be to The City? Like jointed one said, it really depends on your budget. Especially when you mention Bay Area. Give us a little more info and I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for reply.

Not solely to grow, but cannabis trees would be a welcome addition to the home garden.

On the verge between isolated and a drive to a city -- is that possible? I have yet to visit but it's such a massive state that I am pondering where to begin.

Don't want to spend a million but can do half of that give or take a couple hundred thousand.

All right, well sounds like you got a solid check book...you need it out here...That said, anything is possible...

I would say look North up the 101 Novato, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Healdsburg. Shit, you could go all the way to Ukiah in Mendo. Beautiful, close to the city, remote feel, but expensive...

South of the city you might check the Santa Cruz Mountains (bordered by the 1, the 101, 17, and 152) down to Gilroy. Weather is warmer/sunnier on the east side of the coastal range down there.

Lots of burbs east of the city. Take your pick. Expensive imo and boring unless your bringing a family with kids...

Don't look at the Valley (on the 5 and 99 south of SAC)

Some areas around Sac are not bad but you gotta be outside Sac county.

Im two hours from The City, hour to Tahoe +/-. Between Grass Valley and Placerville. Its the Foothills. Above the fog, below the snow. Great place to be. MUCH more affordable than Bay Area. You can go from 1000 ft elevation to 4000 ft in 30 min. so lots of micro climates to choose from.

Otherwise the big thing is looking at all the county regulations for outdoor growing. You gotta be careful with that. With the new Med laws that just passed yesterday there will be lots of changes in the very near future. You should be watching close if you are coming out here.

I have lived all over. Send me a PM if you want more details.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Santa Cruz mountain area is beautiful and a lot of cool heads there. Good local laws now. Pretty close to nice beach, hard to beat.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
you can get 10 miles out of San Jose and be way out there.
if you got 500K look at this place with 57 acres.
32004 San Antonio Valley Rd
Mount Hamilton, CA 94140

I've done lots of searching up the hills around Santa Cruz and that's where I'd go if I had dough.

St. Phatty

When you said "Edge of Civilization", what came up for me was Mt. Tamalpais.

It's a great place for a hike - and, on the edge of Civilization. Wilderness, right there in Marin.

FishmanK

Everything is so relative density-tolerance-wise...
Long Time Humboldt County resident here
once lived in willits and same as Ukiah, East of 101 corridor there is less water and more heat and more issues with bears etc
water is a serious concern of course
west of 101 corridor is more coastal-forested and better water so more desirable
and often better over-all micro-climates for gardening

to me those places mentiioned further above are nice but are in pockets of the big city that goes from WatsonVille to around Windsor, north of Santa Rosa
Im a coastal guy so no input on up the sacramento bay delta toward sacramento etc
if you r from southern climes might like those areas tho
extensive wetlands and wetlands fishing

Cloverdale is very nice but is a drive from anywhere...
To me Cloverdale is an outpost of civilization before the big green patches of the redwood curtain... where you have LEFT civilization
heh

If you have commute issues to consider, Cloverdale has a very nice Train Station that was built then the rail project ran short of funds to get there and after years of delay, there is talk of funding again

2009-01-11_Cloverdale_%20019r_web.jpg

Oedipus

cenntral valley

cenntral valley

I know its not the bay area but sacramento is middle ground for the bayarea and places like folsom lake and even lake tahoe. I've lived in the bay area and there is great places to hike right now i could think of point reyes, garin park, mission peak , sunol, berkley hills, but the bay is surrounded by hills and bodies of water, i even enjoy hiking golden gate park. North bay is defintely a great place to check out. patterson and manteca are closer to the bay area and generally hotter and more rural, i think its on hwy 120 on the way to yosemite.