What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

JColtrane

Grayfox likes my wavy mane, so I don't have a hair straightener and will have to score one first.

Wonder who I can borrow one from, who wouldn't notice the aroma when I returned it?

Well this is the second project we need to get Bob involved on ... did you watch the youtube I posted ... the chinese's already got it fig'd out!!!

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Grayfox likes my wavy mane, so I don't have a hair straightener and will have to score one first.

Wonder who I can borrow one from, who wouldn't notice the aroma when I returned it?

i got a couple for me and my pa from a secondhand store for 3.99 each :)

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I will also agree that this will be one of the new hot trends very shortly. Ive been pressing recently, and this stuff is very enjoyable, my wax and shatter just sit on the table. Probly sell it.

I have a shirt press in the works, but for now, a 2" flatiron hair straightener works great for small batches. Temps between 325 and 375 for most of my stuff. When you hear the crackle you still have 2 seconds left, when you see smoke its pretty much extracted. I do about 3-5 seconds total. I have recently been doing 2 short presses (press,harvest,press,harvest) , stopping when i hear the crackle/sizzle, but before i see smoke. This seems to give me the lighter better tasting product rather than trying to get it all in one press. The first press is always the best though.

It seems that this method does not work well with some types of flowers. Using wet product doesnt seem to work well either. I tried it on some 8 month old flowers and didnt get the kind of results that i do with fresher stuff. Maybe super dry resin glands arent good for this method.
Ideally you want something pretty fresh, relatively dense, with high resin production. A lot of folks are roasting eights only to get nothing. With my best cultivar, i am able to get around 10-12% yield. I have heard number as high as 15-16%.

Better sell your CLS machines quick, cuz this shits happenin! Bring on the solventless revolution!

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i live in the sticks kinda, and the second hand store is much closer.

anyhow, a buddy of mine had some old dry stuff that wouldn't yield at all, and he got it a bit wet and it extracted some oil all of a sudden. so for you smurfin, try and add some moisture to the stuff that doesnt work and try again. it worked for me too a bit, but i got it too wet and had some water in that extract.

for some strains i think it has to be damper, but some strains will yield well very dry too. i have seen green crack and ogkush yield very well, and both were well dried/semi cured product.

another key tip, at least for me is that everything needs to be pressed at least twice with the hair flattener method. even 3-4 times on some pieces, and i usually always fold the flattened puck twice to a 1/4 the size but 4 times the thickness for the second press.

Sunfire

Veteran
Yes, sell your cls, do exactly that. I'll just be over here, not spending all day to make an ounce.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Thanks for the info KUT. Ill give er a shot. I let a friend try some for the first time last night, and he called me the next morning and said the rest of his day was shot after he left. Im sure he already purchased a flat iron and is making some as we speak. Stuff must have left an impression. lol

Humpi

Definitely going to try this.

After you press the buds, the oil that is left, it's called rosin? And rosin has a texture like shatter?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Thanks for the info KUT. Ill give er a shot. I let a friend try some for the first time last night, and he called me the next morning and said the rest of his day was shot after he left. Im sure he already purchased a flat iron and is making some as we speak. Stuff must have left an impression. lol

i think its definitely stronger than bho. it gets me ripped on a very small dab, on a just pretty good strain :)

i found another good tip for getting the most on the first press. as i mentioned for a second press, or any consecutive presses i fold it up so its thick and small and taller. well when making my initial puck to compress, i found if you can make it a taller cylinder than it is wide, a nice tight little cone or cylinder that stands up and you carefully press it like that, it gives a lot more oil on one press. i take sticky not too dry buds and compress then into tight little chunks, taller than their footprint. maybe somewhere around 0.15 grams chunks. its impressive :)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Definitely going to try this.

After you press the buds, the oil that is left, it's called rosin? And rosin has a texture like shatter?

usually its a bit softer than shatter, maybe always.

i think we need some kind of cylindrical heated press that can be filled up with herb, then compressed heavily so the oil leaks out the bottom. an extraction tube, but of a different nature than the usual.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got a couple for me and my pa from a secondhand store for 3.99 each :)

Good idea! Now that you've revealed the secret, ah wonder how long before the units from the second hand store start showing up sticky and skunky?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well this is the second project we need to get Bob involved on ... did you watch the youtube I posted ... the chinese's already got it fig'd out!!!

Hee, hee, hee.............

JColtrane

Good idea! Now that you've revealed the secret, ah wonder how long before the units from the second hand store start showing up sticky and skunky?

It's already happening bro ... was at St. Vinny's yesterday & down the housewares isle it smell like Gorilla Glue #4. Shit was funky

theJointedOne

Veteran
Let's put our brains together and create an icmag rosin extractor build guide. If we make sure all the parts are easily accessible from common home building stores, many folks would be able to benefit from being able to make their own solventless.

Roji

Guys... Guys... Get a shirt press... :eek:

10986340_336168439927531_1465483539_n.jpg