What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does sulfur burner work? Is it my cut vendor or my growroom please help.

Temp- 79-80
Humidity- 40-50
Fan runs constant

Ok well to start off i am 3 weeks into flowering some excellent genetics and before this run i have never had any mold issues at all. Now i got 10 cuts a while back and one pre-98 bubba devoloped some mold , and the fucker spread like wildfire to my dj's bluberry and la confidential . I have tried the baking soda with water 1tsp/L and it still comes back. Worst part about it is my other plants are showing very tiny spots of mold on the leaves.

I am in a new place that has never been lived in before not to mention i purchased two NEW grow huts,one for cuts and the other for flowering . Im so frustrated that these have mold and i picked up more cuts only to find out a few of those have mold.

I called my vendor he claims its my "enviroment" and i need lower humidity and more air circulation. Also he says the pre-98 bubba harbors mold and it known for that and its a bad strain to grow. I cant really say cause its my first time with the pre-98 bubba so who the fuck knows. I call bullshit cause i have never had this issue before and when i was at the dispensary some other patients were making comments about some having mold .. I should have listened more and now im fucked.

Does the sulfur burner really work ? Do i need to lower my humidity to 15-20? Higher temps? Please help :dunno:Organocide,neem oil, serenade????

Should i just finish this run and scrub everything and get cuts from a new vendor or seeds from someone i can count on ?

time traveler

finish the run and clean everything get rid of all plant matter & waste wait 3 weeks to starve the spores ( no food = death ) start over from seed

vaped

Spores can live for months and years Mycology is my second hobby. I would say check your humidity meter they go bad often. A dehumidifier would be a plus. After this pull get a fungicide spray from your growing supply retailer and spray your room down.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
Does the sulfur burner really work ? Do i need to lower my humidity to 15-20? Higher temps? Please help :dunno:Organocide,neem oil, serenade????

Yes. I had issues before getting one multiple times. Never since.

Run 2x (in one week, say Sunday and Thursday) during Veg

Then 2x (again in one week) in early flower (week 2)

havent seen it since. very easy, just plug in for 4 hours each during lights off.

Since u have it already i would say you need more often but either way...

GET IT

time traveler

sorry to disagree vaped, but I battled this for two yrs. and used & tried everything that is available. spores need a host of some sort, dead leaves will do, they can go dormant & live for months. but if they have nothing to do this with they die !! the reason why I know this is because this is what I did to get rid of it !! I have never gotten P.M. again !! It's been almost 5 yrs. now & I still do everything the same way I have for the last 25yrs. and all my friends from nor. cal & up through Oregon are still battling the same P.M. they had 7 yrs. ago . Of course they all use burners but you can taste that crap in their product . So here's an idea.. you all can spend time & money w/ seranade & green cure & burners that will work to a degree but it's coming back, or try the method of stopping , cleaning , getting rid of all plant matter & waste wait 3 weeks or more if you'd like & start over from seed see if it doesn't work for ya . you all can disagree all you want but it will never change the fact that I killed the P.M. doing this and never got it again !!! for me case closed

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Temp- 79-80
Humidity- 40-50
Fan runs constant

Ok well to start off i am 3 weeks into flowering some excellent genetics and before this run i have never had any mold issues at all. Now i got 10 cuts a while back and one pre-98 bubba devoloped some mold , and the fucker spread like wildfire to my dj's bluberry and la confidential . I have tried the baking soda with water 1tsp/L and it still comes back. Worst part about it is my other plants are showing very tiny spots of mold on the leaves.

I am in a new place that has never been lived in before not to mention i purchased two NEW grow huts,one for cuts and the other for flowering . Im so frustrated that these have mold and i picked up more cuts only to find out a few of those have mold.

I called my vendor he claims its my "enviroment" and i need lower humidity and more air circulation. Also he says the pre-98 bubba harbors mold and it known for that and its a bad strain to grow. I cant really say cause its my first time with the pre-98 bubba so who the fuck knows. I call bullshit cause i have never had this issue before and when i was at the dispensary some other patients were making comments about some having mold .. I should have listened more and now im fucked.

Should i just finish this run and scrub everything and get cuts from a new vendor or seeds from someone i can count on ?

With your temps and humidty... I WOULD KILL FOR THOSE !!!

Sulpher burners work yeah but they are a mess... they stink... they can stink up your bud your house etc....

Bubba can get mold with those TIGHT HARD NUGGETS... can be a bitch to grow... I"ve grown bubba's and had similar problems...

Try a good bleach solution when this is done on all your walls floors all surfaces and equiptmet that the plants are exposed to.... other than that make sure you got GREAT air flow.... get a DE-HUMIDEFIER even though your humidity is lower than my OUTSIDE humidty... if you are getting bud rot... that will help and RAISE YOUR TEMPS INDOORS by about 5 degrees... take it up to 84 or so mold really thrives in those lower temps... and the air doesn't hold as much water... meaning it goes into those tight packed green areas...

so.. fans.... a dehumy and raise the temp in the room a few degrees...

other than that if you see the stuff.... cut it out immediately and any healthy stuff it is touching....

Bout the best you can doo.... I don't think you'll have any problems.... BUt a supher burner is impractical for your situation.... I have one and have used it like 3 times... and I STILL GOT BUD ROT.. SO EVEN THEY ARE NOT 100 PERCENT ...

peace

With your temps and humidty... I WOULD KILL FOR THOSE !!!

Sulpher burners work yeah but they are a mess... they stink... they can stink up your bud your house etc....

Bubba can get mold with those TIGHT HARD NUGGETS... can be a bitch to grow... I"ve grown bubba's and had similar problems...

Try a good bleach solution when this is done on all your walls floors all surfaces and equiptmet that the plants are exposed to.... other than that make sure you got GREAT air flow.... get a DE-HUMIDEFIER even though your humidity is lower than my OUTSIDE humidty... if you are getting bud rot... that will help and RAISE YOUR TEMPS INDOORS by about 5 degrees... take it up to 84 or so mold really thrives in those lower temps... and the air doesn't hold as much water... meaning it goes into those tight packed green areas...

so.. fans.... a dehumy and raise the temp in the room a few degrees...

other than that if you see the stuff.... cut it out immediately and any healthy stuff it is touching....

Bout the best you can doo.... I don't think you'll have any problems.... BUt a supher burner is impractical for your situation.... I have one and have used it like 3 times... and I STILL GOT BUD ROT.. SO EVEN THEY ARE NOT 100 PERCENT ...

peace

Thanks brotha yea i have been growing for almost 5 yrs and never had a PM problem. My humidity and temps i thought were ideal but guess not!This also is my first run with pre-98 bubba and will be my last lol.. Im gonna get a De-humidifier today and raise my temps up a bit to 85 ish like you said. maybe throw another intake fan on the tent ? Im also moving after this run we only signed a 6 month lease so all will need to be cleaned is my tents and equipment. I think fresh airflow could be a slight issue im trying to keep the smell down with my 6"vortex fan and 4ft can filter .

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=157509&page=3

I dont wanna use the sulfur cause i hear you can taste is on the product but then again i have never used it or had a PM issue. 23 days into flowering now and i have 7 weeks to go on some of them .

Yes. I had issues before getting one multiple times. Never since.

Run 2x (in one week, say Sunday and Thursday) during Veg

Then 2x (again in one week) in early flower (week 2)

havent seen it since. very easy, just plug in for 4 hours each during lights off.

Since u have it already i would say you need more often but either way...

GET IT

Yea it looks like i may have to spend the money to get one. I have heard mixed results about the sulfur burner some say it works 100% while others say the baking soda did more then the sulfur lol. Im 23 days into flower but have heard people as late as 4 -5 weeks sulfur burn ? and i would hate to taste it on my smoke. :dunno:

praisehim.

Veteran
bubba. listen to natgonnaworrie. use the burner. i also recommend you get spectracide immunox plus, spray them twice with that. an if you do everything now, in 2-3 weeks it should be outta your plant. its better to taste a bit of sulfur rather then smoking mold. : )
good luck.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Time Traveller "spores need a host of some sort, dead leaves will do, they can go dormant & live for months. but if they have nothing to do this with they die !!"
You should leave the Mycological discussion to Vaped. You obviously have no idea how spores operate. Please don't get offended, I just feel that the rest of the readers on this thread should know that you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT with respect to Mycology. However, most plant problems are brought in by live plants.

Yes, spores can live for years (not months), with no help. They can survive freezing temeratures, hot temps, low humidity, high humidity. There is a reason molds are so prevalent in our atmosphere.

Don't believe me???

Put a piece of bread on your counter and watch what grows over the next few weeks. Make a batch of beer and instead of adding yeast, just put it in a temperate place outside...how do you think they make Jailhouse Hooch. You can't get a delivery from Whitelabs.

So, begerbuddy. Sulfur works. Fungicidal sprays work too. Prevention is key if it is a problem you encounter frequently. Use the Sulfur burner, low, for prevention. Remember an ounce of Mary Jane is worth a pound of Aspen...Ooops, I mean an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

To get rid of spores you would have to bleach, and wash your entire grow area. Filter your air with HEPA 99.97% filters minumum. And de-louse yourself, necked, every time you enter you room. Not gonna happen.

It so happens those are measure that are used frequently in the gourmet mushroom business. But what you don't know is that they are temporary measures, lasting just long enough so that the mold culture you are propogating (eg Oyster mushrooms) have enough of a head start to COLONIZE the medium before others can, or at least enough so that they can suppress the uprising of another culture. Kinda like the Jews in Germany throughout history.

As for if they are caused by your grow or the vendor...You need to set up an experiment. Easiest way would be to gift a friend some of the vendor cuts (please tell them they are part of the experiment), or you can talk to the vendor, see if they have a problem. They may lie to you, but they may tell you the truth or they may be oblivious and you just helped them.

It sounds like prevention is the key.

DON'T GET RID OF THE BUBBA! Just don't do it! It is the best kush ever. Potent mix of THC, CBD and CBN great for that evening medication.

Last, make sure it really is PM. The Bubba can get salt locked very easily and look like PM, when all it really needed was one (or two) hell of a flushing.

If you wish to learn more about Mycology then I suggest
http://www.fungi.com/books/stamets.html

P.S. Taste with sulfur. Less is more, the less sulfur you use on the burn the less likely you are to wreck the smoke. It is the same concept with spider mite spray. Dose once at doulbe strength or dose four times over a period of time with half-strength? I always go for the latter.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Time Traveller "spores need a host of some sort, dead leaves will do, they can go dormant & live for months. but if they have nothing to do this with they die !!"
You should leave the Mycological discussion to Vaped. You obviously have no idea how spores operate. Please don't get offended, I just feel that the rest of the readers on this thread should know that you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT with respect to Mycology. However, most plant problems are brought in by live plants.

Yes, spores can live for years (not months), with no help. They can survive freezing temeratures, hot temps, low humidity, high humidity. There is a reason molds are so prevalent in our atmosphere.

Don't believe me???

Put a piece of bread on your counter and watch what grows over the next few weeks. Make a batch of beer and instead of adding yeast, just put it in a temperate place outside...how do you think they make Jailhouse Hooch. You can't get a delivery from Whitelabs.

So, begerbuddy. Sulfur works. Fungicidal sprays work too. Prevention is key if it is a problem you encounter frequently. Use the Sulfur burner, low, for prevention. Remember an ounce of Mary Jane is worth a pound of Aspen...Ooops, I mean an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

To get rid of spores you would have to bleach, and wash your entire grow area. Filter your air with HEPA 99.97% filters minumum. And de-louse yourself, necked, every time you enter you room. Not gonna happen.

It so happens those are measure that are used frequently in the gourmet mushroom business. But what you don't know is that they are temporary measures, lasting just long enough so that the mold culture you are propogating (eg Oyster mushrooms) have enough of a head start to COLONIZE the medium before others can, or at least enough so that they can suppress the uprising of another culture. Kinda like the Jews in Germany throughout history.

As for if they are caused by your grow or the vendor...You need to set up an experiment. Easiest way would be to gift a friend some of the vendor cuts (please tell them they are part of the experiment), or you can talk to the vendor, see if they have a problem. They may lie to you, but they may tell you the truth or they may be oblivious and you just helped them.

It sounds like prevention is the key.

DON'T GET RID OF THE BUBBA! Just don't do it! It is the best kush ever. Potent mix of THC, CBD and CBN great for that evening medication.

Last, make sure it really is PM. The Bubba can get salt locked very easily and look like PM, when all it really needed was one (or two) hell of a flushing.

If you wish to learn more about Mycology then I suggest
https://www.fungi.com/books/stamets.html

P.S. Taste with sulfur. Less is more, the less sulfur you use on the burn the less likely you are to wreck the smoke. It is the same concept with spider mite spray. Dose once at doulbe strength or dose four times over a period of time with half-strength? I always go for the latter.

Sorry I feel the need to re re correct your correction on someone elses correction of another.

When it comes to the fungi family you have to remember there are thousands and thousands of varieties. And they all have a different life cycle, method of reproduction, feeding, germinating and sporulation. Even within PM there are hundreds of varieties that have various life cycles. For example one kind takes 40 days to create spores. The cannabis variety is 3-7 days! So when you say spores live for many years, I feel your mycology degree is worthless, as you out of all people should know that you can't apply a blanket statement like that to an entire kingdom of fungi! Some spores live for years sure, and some spores for months, and some spores for days.

Secondly there are 2 types of spores for PM

One is the conidia which I just mentioned. Thats the chain of spores that create the white that you see on the leaf. No one actually knows how long these spores can live but I have seen people say 21 days. There is definitely a temperature that will kill them- it is said to be 100F. I have also read that all Spores die at 140F, which makes sense as composts that reach 165F kill all pathogens so there is a a range that kills anything that is living. Secondly if you have the spores in your soil, they cannot become soil borne, and I would imagine like all living things they are broken down by the microbes and other fungi of the soil.

The other spore is more hardy long term overwintering spore. This one gets created when the fungi senses stress and low temps meaning winter is coming, it knows the host may die and it creates spores that actually look black. For indoor growing environments I don't think we are dealing with this type at all ever.

As I have been dealing with my pm for awhile, I am simply sharing what I have learned after researching this for almost a year now. It is from many different academic sources.