Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > what to do when coco dries out and causes lockout?

Thread Title Search
what to do when coco dries out and causes lockout? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 AM #21
handshake

handshake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hydro View Post
i had it around 5.8 for a while but since went to 6.2
Does the change in pH from 5.8 to 6.2 correlate to when the deficiency started?

Whenever I see someone having a problem, then saying "I changed this to this" I think to double check the part where your regimen changed.
handshake is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 AM #22
Desert Hydro

Desert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of light
i thought the same as well, but i think the ph of 5.8 is what caused the issue. had them under really intense lighting and 5.8 is a tad out of the cal/mag uptake range for coco and i think they were just growing so damn fast they werent able to keep up with the ph being low.

now im running 6.3 with a ppm of 600 base and 150 ppm of calmag on top of that for a total of 750.

been hitting them with soil balance pro beneficials, kelp and molasses thats been brewing for a few days hand watered on top of their regular food once a week.

seeing lots of HEALTHY root growth so thats a good sign i think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180113_154329.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	442233 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_151715.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	442234 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_151734.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	442235 Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180113_152055.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	442236
Desert Hydro is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 AM #23
p0opstlnksal0t

p0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nice
I'm having salt buildup too. Ive been flushing every other feed for now growth has resumed. I'm feeding at .8-.9 ec jack's and I flush with PhD tap. I have no choice right now to feed but once a day and I went straight from rooted clones to 4g pots so I need the dry cycles to build up the roots.

On the plus side I finally got my drip system installed so I may start feeding twice a day.

IG @square_root_pharms
p0opstlnksal0t is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 PM #24
fishinnutt

fishinnutt has a spectacular aura aboutfishinnutt has a spectacular aura aboutfishinnutt has a spectacular aura aboutfishinnutt has a spectacular aura about
Damage to your plants will show very fast when coco dries out as the PH swings way out of the useful range. If your pots are drying out quick like that, you are a candidate for multi waterings per day and that is part of what is so magical about coco. You will see good stuff happen if you water at least twice a day. I used to water every two hours on a timer and while that was a little much, it worked just fine in coco.
fishinnutt is offline Quote

Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 AM #25
Desert Hydro

Desert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of light
I'm having problem after problem with this grow! I cant seem to get anything right. i'll take any advice from coco experts. need help

tested my runoff and it was absurdly high. ive been feeding too much obviously. I think this coco wasn't buffered to begin with. immediately showed cal/mag deficiencies so I upped the food. now they are locked out. I flushed really heavily and transplanted to fresh clean buffered coco/perlite from 1 gal to 3 gal. now I'm gonna drop the ppms down to 500 and see if they perk up. feeding jacks and calnit in proper ratios. ph is low 6's

Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 AM #26
p0opstlnksal0t

p0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nice
I'm by no means an expert...

I've fixed my salt buildup issues now with waterings every 6 hours. Ive been adjusting my pH down to around 5.7 pH then I let it swing all the way up to 6.3 over the course of days then I adjust back down.

I use cheap botanicare blocks of coco and never clean it. I don't worry about the buffering ability of the coco too much. The first few waterings I've watered heavy. After 2-3 waterings the coco settles in fine. My biggest issue was going from straight rooted clone to bigass 4 gallon flowering pots. I needed dry cycles over the course of a week or so to build up the root masses. Conversely these dry cycles produces heavy salt buildup so I flushed every other day.

IG @square_root_pharms
p0opstlnksal0t is offline Quote

Old 01-23-2018, 05:20 PM #27
Miraculous Meds

Miraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant future
Do you feel like you're chasing your own tail yet? The last few times I used to tupur, it came pretty high PPM out of the bag. I was facing too many drying out issues as well. So I switch to a low EC, Pure coco mix. Recent Brands I've been using our char coir, and Royal something or rather, the most important thing is well flushed low starting EC, and pure coir.

I'm also using Jacks between 1 and 1.4 EC, and 5.8 to 6.2 pH. I'd say your problem was definitely drying out between waterings. Ec spike in your medium in PH swing wildly. I'd recommend flushing with v e c of Base nutrients till you reach under 1.5 EC, then feed with one EC while checking run off every week to not exceed 1.8eC. If you get to 1.8 PC or above, then flushed back down to 1.5 EC again. Then figure out how many waterings a day you need to keep the medium consistently wet so the EC does not Spike each week. I'm in 5-gallon pots, and in flowering I'm feeding around 6 to 10 times a day for an average of about 2.5 to 3.25 gallons per day.
Miraculous Meds is offline Quote

Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM #28
fishinnutt

fishinnutt has a spectacular aura aboutfishinnutt has a spectacular aura aboutfishinnutt has a spectacular aura aboutfishinnutt has a spectacular aura about
The best plan is to never let the stuff dry out. Forget everything you know about watering soil or other mixes and water till runoff with a coco type fert at 650 ish ppm. Make sure your PH is right near 6.0 and you will be in for a good ride. Don't flush with plain water, don't wait for the pot to get dry. I water brand new seedlings with the exact same mix and I don't change a thing all the way through to the chop. If you want to flush at the end, do so, they will fade quickly.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 PM #29
fishinnutt

Are you using RO water? If not what is the ppm of your tap water?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 PM #30
Desert Hydro

i am using RO water. i had started adding back 150ppm of tap because my tap is mostly cal and mag. if im adding that back i add the nutes ec on top of that right?