Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Why do i always get Hermies?

Thread Title Search
Why do i always get Hermies? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2018, 02:09 AM #51
ganjygav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigganjabud View Post
Are ya sure you was buying fem seeds?

I know it's a silly question but if they were from different breeders that's a horrible run of luck mate

That's what they're sold as anyway. Lol thseeds, seedsman and I can't remember the other breeder or strain I will check and see if I kept a diary. I'm sure it was something from female seeds

Old 01-14-2018, 02:13 AM #52
ganjygav

It was mob from thseeds and c99 x blueberry from seedsman. I didn't keep a diary of the 3rd grow and I can't remember what it was.
I distinctly remember wasting a year to herms and nearly packing up.

Then I switched to clones and ditched my pH pen and things have just started getting better and better with the plants health as you've seen dude.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 AM #53
Budley Doright

Budley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud of
Some years ago a breeder named soma.... of the new york city diesel strain fame....

disclosed that his method of producing feminized seeds was to allow the females to go some weeks past their prime.... some would produce male flowers .....the pollen was then used on other plants to produce feminized seeds.... the method he called rodelization.....

If there was a reliable method to produce male flowers and then feminized seeds it most likely would have been done..... now the use of silver solutions have put those methods out of use..... the use of light tricks would have been dandy tool for the purpose....

Wick Cloning = Cheap and effective

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309503

Big Clones.....and Air Layers also a legal Michigan grow
Budley Doright is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 PM #54
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
The reason you don't want "light tricks" hermies is because it produces hermies more sensitive to "light tricks." STS possibly creates hermies more sensitive to STS... which is perfectly fine. STS isn't found naturally, almost zero chance of accidental exposure.

Yes, Soma helped create a crapload of hermie genetics by posting that information up. With light tricks, you do it once and then weed out the hermies as you look for breeding material. Most of the home growers seem to have forgotten or not understood the last part.

Use STS, it works great.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 PM #55
Budley Doright

Budley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud of
Its just not as simple as all that....

Lets say I have this plant.... I find it is 100% stable when dark and produces male flowers when some sort of light trick is used....

I produce some flowers by using the pollen with another plant...

I realize that I might cause the plants seeds to be fully hermaphroditic

But I also assume that I can find a plant just like mom......

I would assume that if selfed I would likely get more hermaphrodites than in a 2 strain cross....

The other bonus is that it is no more effort then setting your timer....

I could use sts sure....but I would love to use a light trick that worked....

But then thats the point of the thread.... if it had been shown that doing something to the light cycle was a reliable way to create male flowers..... I would be all in......sounds like big fun to me...

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

Old 01-14-2018, 11:30 PM #56
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budley Doright View Post
Its just not as simple as all that....

Lets say I have this plant.... I find it is 100% stable when dark and produces male flowers when some sort of light trick is used....

I produce some flowers by using the pollen with another plant...

I realize that I might cause the plants seeds to be fully hermaphroditic

But I also assume that I can find a plant just like mom......

I would assume that if selfed I would likely get more hermaphrodites than in a 2 strain cross....

The other bonus is that it is no more effort then setting your timer....

I could use sts sure....but I would love to use a light trick that worked....

But then thats the point of the thread.... if it had been shown that doing something to the light cycle was a reliable way to create male flowers..... I would be all in......sounds like big fun to me...
You don't get it. STS is so stupid simple to make and use, why would you use a (genetically) inferior method. It makes removing hermi genetics MUCH more difficult.

Anyway, the point is there. A massive difference in light strength, will trigger the hermie trait right where the strong light is.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 PM #57
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
Use regular seeds and stop trying to mess with Mother Nature.

No wonder in the past 10 years people are complaining about hermies more and more.

Working on Something Sneaky

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 AM #58
Budley Doright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
You don't get it. STS is so stupid simple to make and use, why would you use a (genetically) inferior method. It makes removing hermi genetics MUCH more difficult.

Anyway, the point is there. A massive difference in light strength, will trigger the hermie trait right where the strong light is.
Can you prove its genetically inferior????

I love science.....just because someone says something doesnt make it true.....

First off I dont believe you can actually use light to reliably make male flowers..... I also dont believe in unicorns.....

Your point about genetics is a little like you telling me how a unicorn feels....and youve never seen a unicorn.....

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

Old 01-15-2018, 04:38 AM #59
keeper1981

keeper1981 will become famous soon enough
I also do not believe a few little light leaks cause hermaphrodite plants, most likely a genetic issue. Perfect example is nature it is never perfectly dark outside at night (Sun reflecting off the moon) also I have had grows with a few light leaks. The only time I have ever had hermaphrodite issues is while using unknown shit seeds in my early days of cultivation experimentation.
keeper1981 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:40 AM #60
keeper1981

keeper1981 will become famous soon enough
Also I have grown some plants that were hermaphrodite with just a few seeds and they turned out really nice, as long as the whole thing doesn't go to seed
keeper1981 is offline Quote