Part 2 - b)
With transportation now sorted we set about converting the basement into a grow room. It wasn't underground on all sides, as the house is raised. This meant it would be a great place with some tinkering to stay cool in summer and warm in winter which will enable steady year round growth and continuation of projects.
We like stepladders.
We set about constructing a veg room, a cutting station which houses mothers, a tent room for projects, and a decent sized flowering room (5k at present which is to be upped with some Gavita products soon)
Having done several basement/cellar conversions in the past (for none growing related reasons) , I knew we would require good damp proofing, and came to learn there is no such thing in Spain, luckily due to some foresight I had brought a roll over from England.
This proved very wise, as we later found out, we are in a basin, and with heavy storms, the water will flow down the mountain for several days after, running off, and unfortunately into our basement, but that room was perfect after a triple layer on the floor and a layer behind the walls.
How we found out this though, was pretty much what was to me, the most stressful day we have had here. It had been raining heavily for several days, all was good and we had been mindful to check. The following happens rarely, but electrical storms in the distance can cause a power outage, this has happened less times than I can count on one hand in the entirety of us being here, anyway about midday there was one, so I went down to the basement to check. Water was pooling in the entrance.., not a good sign. I went through the tent room and it was flooded. Balls. I alerted our Tim, and we set about a swift clean up operation. Stage one was to get everything off the ground and the water soaked up/drained away. Whilst I was on that task, Tim was going to dig some trenches to divert the water running down from the mountain away from the basement.
Our vehicle was parked outside of the basement, and needed moving so a trench could be dug, I had my hands full, so handed the keys to Tim (who ordinarily doesn't drive), he moved the car up the drive. I heard it stop, and thought, good lad..all good. He came back, 'mate, the keys are stuck, I can't get them out', I said there's a trick to it, just push the section around the keys in, turn to the point where the marks match up, and they slip out. So off he went, 2 minutes later, 'I still can't do it, you'll have to come and do it'. So I left my post, and walked up our (steeply inclined drive).
I have no clue how it happened but they were stuck, I jiggled them, and the steering wheel, and in a second, maybe, I knocked it with my elbow, it was so quick, but the car got knocked into neutral, and instantly started rolling back. Tim was behind me, I was half in/half out of the car, door open, I started running with the car, but had no choice but to duck out of the way and avoid the door.
The door met with a tree, the tree won. The car was finally halted by careering into the dog/pig kennels. The car won that one.
So picture a scene of devastation, door creased, deformed, battered, us boys in disbelief, wet through with rain. Pig/dog kennels with a post from the chain-link fencing uprooted from the concrete. And whilst we were absorbing that, and actually being thankful neither of us had been run over, our new and very little piglet saw a chance to breakout and abscond.
Note to the wise: You can't catch a little pig in the rain. We always thought any damage to the car would occur on the roads and be the fault of a Spanish driver with their hair on fire, not at our own hands. So that tri-fector of calamities had me nearly at a breaking point.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, several lessons were learnt, the piglet returned to her home, I fixed the car, and the tents are now raised off the ground with a proper drain in that room.
Work in progress: *note plants in the middle on the walk way, are males being moved.
When the grow-room was built, and plants were in full swing during run 1, we set about constructing outdoor facilities which I will begin Part 3 with.