What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This thread is da peat puck freaks..

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Ok.. I decided to start this thread because of the many issues ive noticed with cloneing/and or seedling starts.

I have built bubble cloners and used various types of medium such as rock wool, perilite mixtures and others starter(plugs)types of medium. However I still prefer to use those trusty ol things i call "peat pucks" Oh... and they are cheap to..

Seed or clone, i have never experianced the need to stray from this fail proof way of starting younglings.

I see alot of people using the bubble cloners or other various water culture forms of inducing roots. in my own experiance I noticed maintaining proper water levels for 5-10 days...well...babysitting like. A also have found, outside of rigging up this complex unit to be "a pain in this ass", if your cloning room is on the cooler side.You now need to slightly warm the water by use of a fish heater or heat pad.

Im lazy when it comes to taking care of babies. I just want to water them once, and look back in a week or so and see roots.Im not normally in a hurry for clones to root.. they always do. 100% success Rate.Then I can simply transplant them into my even more complex Hydroponic system with ease.

All you need to clone is peat pucks, a starter tray and a clear dome. A trick you can use on peat pucks is by using HOT water to expand the pucks with. This greatly reduces wait times and is all you need to do to start clones/seedlings. NO NUTES REQUIRED.I dont ph adjust my tap water.. but if your water is seriously wacked, this is required as well.

I take my cuttings(at least two nodes),dipped in cheap ass rooting powder sinking them into a soaked and(warm) puck. Once i have the desired count i simply add just enough water into my starter tray to keep the bottoms of the pucks wet and cover with dome.

The dome insures that the clones and pucks stay warm through this transitional period. Some also use heat pads to help. This is very important and a big reason why most have problems, your medium must be room temp(around 25 deg C), otherwise it can stunt or even prevent cloning from happining.If you are to hot, mold and rot occurs.It's a balance you must find for yourself in your area. The dome also serves another purpose because you are essentially traping water inside the dome, it's almost impossible to dry out the pucks within a week timeframe. Otherwise... babysitting again, now you have to watch for drying out your pucks, almost an instant killer.I let my peat puck suck up all water for a day at the end of the week by simply removing the dome. Then refill starter tray with again, just enough to wet the bottoms of the puck, if no roots are seen.

Many people use full size flouros, or a total over kill hps/mh for lighting.I have found my 400 watt MH to be totally useless for using as a starter light. I now run four 100W CFL light fixtures which provides enough light for 6-10 babies. That is untill they have 5-10 growth nodes lengths.. then i transplant into the magic trays where light is significantly upgraded to a full 1000W full spectrum bulb.

So in my mind simple setup = desired result consitantly and effortlessly a big part of my way of doing things. Consistant and effortless.

Last edited:

Wiimote

I too use the peat pucks for cloning, and since switching to them, I have only lost one cutting, and that one was completely my fault (let it dry out).

wsp

I have used these as well and had bad luck with those pucks. They always mold or have stem rot.

G

Guest 16149

I have a 100% success rate using the pucks and almost the same for using rockwool starter cubes, what I have never had any great success with is the bubble cloners. I know other people do, but I have the best luck with pellets and cubes myself

G

Guest 16149

wsp if you have mold or stem rot, you are keeping them to damp and/or to warm. Try keeping them just a little dryer and about 74 to 78 degrees and you will do much better. I do not and would not start seeds in the pellets but they are great for cloning

Last edited:

wsp

Thanks Blaner123Doobie I will try it again tomorrow, I have had good luck with FFOF, This consumes alot of space with cups under the domes. I belive they weren't prepared properly with warm water and were left to wet under the dome. I hope this helps because space is valuable.

Yup, I posted a thread about peat pucks few weeks back. These things are the shit when it comes to easy cloning, in 7-10 days there will be roots flying out of the sides.

If anyone has ever used House and Gardens Root Excellerator I highly reccommend it for peat pucks, a few drops in the soaking solution PH'd to 6.3 has gotten me transplantable roots in 6 days out of the pucks.

1stimer

I just picked up some pucks a couple days ago. I have got to find a cloning method that works well for me and I hope this one is it.

E

EatShitake

The guy that mentored me in growing taught me to clone using pucks. I've also started pre-soaked seeds in them. Rarely a problem. Then I experimented with all sorts of other cloning mediums, and I find myself always going back to what worked the best for me---pucks. Pucks rule!

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've just dropped some cheese and sweet tooth into some peat pucks today :D They look pretty handy, although this is my first time using them.

Previously I was using a 600W cool tube for seedlings which was not great. Now I've got an extra tent with a 200W blue envirolight for moms/veg and a seperate heated chamber for seedlings/clones :D

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I use the peat pucks all the time, cheap as shit, and work great.
I think I am at about 90 % for them

emmy75

im growing some 98 aloha white widow crossed with super silver haze. i put those seedlings in some whitney farms store bought soil and the the soil burned the shit out of those little ones. consequently i needed something else to grow my seedlings in. my mentor turned me on to not only to the pucks but peat in general. i just have to say i LOVE peat.

the first puck i tried dried out overnite. luckily i saved the seed in time but never did i go back to using the peat in the casings. now i just expand the peat pucks, take out th peat and throw it into a beer cup along with some worm castings and perlite.

just an added note: please recylce your peat. peat bogs are not a renewable source. they ought to be protected and respected.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
21338prop2.jpg

Some Cheese and Sweet tooth in peat pucks. 100% cheese sproutage so far, 30% sweet tooth.

Amber Trich

peat pellets restrict root growth... if you look at a mature plant grown in one of these versus a rapid rooter, you'll know what I mean.
Seems roots have a hard time penetrating the walls and give you very few ponts of root growth....

They are the easiest to use though!

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
peat pellets restrict root growth... if you look at a mature plant grown in one of these versus a rapid rooter, you'll know what I mean.
Seems roots have a hard time penetrating the walls and give you very few ponts of root growth....

I call BS on this. I have cloned a number of ways including rapid rooters. Ive never noticed any diffrence in mature plants versus cloning mediums, that all depends on how you grow them. If seedling roots can penetrate a peat puck then clone roots will, without a doubt. Peat is very soft medium. If that was the case you would have stunted growth intially and your roots would be crammed inside a puck......

No sorry but I dont agree, Ive been cloning a long time and that statment doesnt work for me, nor my experiance. I dont want people swayed away from this method due to misinformation, but why am I arguing???? here are the results for all to see.

9118rootsmf.jpg

9118roots_mf2.jpg

9118rootsmf4.jpg

man... i gotta get thoses babies transplanted!!!

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some Cheese:
21338cheeseseed1.jpg

Some Sweet Tooth:
21338sweetseed1.jpg

Some great shots blunt 69! Hope these look like that soon!!

Last edited:
E

EatShitake

Amber-

I'm with Blunt on this one and have to disagree with you. I've used (and still do) both mediums for cloning and seeding. I can't definitively make that statement:nono:that pucks restrict roots. Check it:

From clone

to roots

to bud

to cure

All without any untoward restricted roots. Maybe you had some bad pucks?

Nice clones, Blunt!

E

EatShitake

Hey Benny:wave:

I'm not sure if I get the idea....maybe some more pics would help :D