What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin or BHO??

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So the rosin is tastier?? I know it sure looks good. A little of each for personal/production. Wondering if there is much waste with pressing.

By a matter of taste, I mean your personal taste. Some prefer BHO over rosin and others vice versa.

Mengsk

I know what you mean. The liquid solvent extract isn't much different from making tea (only 10-20 seconds max and cold) but during evaporation, if you use a double boiler or water bath you might get a translucent shatter/extract or something more gummy. With little to no heat however it'll kind of separate on its own into the sauce/terps and brittle shatter.

A farm might be freezing or freeze drying their entire crop and running BHO on some or all of it immediately. Whether or not the water is removed first, and what kind of extract comes out of that I am not sure compared to starting with dried manicured flowers for example. Yield, potency, flavor, I imagine may all be different.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
To each their own. Make both types of extracts and judge for yourself for what suits YOU best. Me personally I just make rosin collect chips make medibles get the best of my meds
:tiphat:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
The best rosin setup for the best price is going to be from DabPress. Starting at $199 and FREE shipping plus a free gift.

If you decide to go with DabPress, let me know and maybe I can get you a discount code.

To much work for production, hydraulic is the way to go followed by air compression , few hrs pulling that lever ain't terrible but it gets to ya eventually .. again it depends on how much u need to make n how often. Been through all the different types of presses over the last 3-4 years , gave my manual ones away to friends who wanted some occasional dabbs... I'm a firm believer in using the best tools for the job n those are more hobby toys, the big boy presses increase your processing ability from grams few oz a day to lbs at the push of a button... there's nothing wrong with them but the better ones are well worth every penny

insomniac_AU

Does anyone still use Iso or is that uncool these days? Not talking about people producing large amounts. If you just wanted a few dabs or to make some edibles from your trash wouldn't Iso be safer and easier than Butane? Genuine question I pretty much exclusively smoke flower. The only extracts I smoke are sift and scissor hash.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If you can get your hands on Everclear, that might be good for you. I never liked ISO.

Or, a small, personal rosin press.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran

Ringodoggie

Premium user
What you want is called 95% (or 190 proof) Ethanol Alcohol. And, that's what that is in your link.

However, as stated, it's a little expensive. For personal use, a bottle can last a long time for a person with normal or low tolerance.

A home rosin machine can be had for under $250. And, it never needs supplies (other than some very inexpensive parchment paper).

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Which would be better with older material that has turned brown. Would imagine BHO.

jump117

Veteran
Polish Pure Spirit – Rectified Spirit 95% Single (500ml Bottle x 1) $69.99 ?!!
monstrously expensive, sincerely sorry for you :comfort:

insomniac_AU

That's $51.80USD but yes it is very expensive. Our liquor taxes are very high here and it's imported. For example a 700ml bottle of Wild Turkey costs about $42AU or $31.08USD.
It's a choice of that or nothing here though. I will be trying to buy or making a rosin machine I think. :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I can get you a great deal on a rosin press. How much do you want to spend? They start around $299 plus the press. All-in-one units start around $499

Does anyone still use Iso or is that uncool these days? Not talking about people producing large amounts. If you just wanted a few dabs or to make some edibles from your trash wouldn't Iso be safer and easier than Butane? Genuine question I pretty much exclusively smoke flower. The only extracts I smoke are sift and scissor hash.

I love iso. Just make sure its 91% isopropyl and not denatured or rubbing alcohol. If its only got isopropyl and water in it, there's nothing to worry about. If you let it sit long enough after a wash, all the undesirable stuff will evaporate out. Don't use heat to evap, that's lazy and it vaporizes the less stable terpenes away.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love iso. Just make sure its 91% isopropyl and not denatured or rubbing alcohol. If its only got isopropyl and water in it, there's nothing to worry about. If you let it sit long enough after a wash, all the undesirable stuff will evaporate out. Don't use heat to evap, that's lazy and it vaporizes the less stable terpenes away.

Here in California they sell 91% isopropyl alcohol at the drug stores. In other states they sell 99% isopropyl instead.

Amazon will send the 99% drug store bottles of isopropyl alcohol to California, you just can't buy it off the shelf here.

Here's the add at Amazon for the two attached pictures of 99%,

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Fal...1533599485&sr=8-10&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol

Note on the backside label it states: "CONTAINS ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL" - no other ingredients.

The backside label on a bottle of 91% will say on the back: 'contains isopropyl alcohol and water' - again no other ingredients.

I highly suggest not waisting your time and good herb trying to use 70% isopropyl alcohol, it has way too much water - you'll extract too much green stuff, and getting that much water out is too much trouble.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 4.53.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 4.53.54 PM.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 4.54.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 4.54.26 PM.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25