What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeders specifically for micro grows?

bryin_fahls

Line worked? I wouldn't even play with S1s to begin with. Your trying to make fun of me about stability LOL. Your talking about breeding a sexually unstable seed do your homework. I would just buy a seed an breed. You got super offended by what I said.I will no longer argue back an forth about something stupid. I know your going to have something wierd to say. Don't bother im leaving this thread. I don't post threads on this site. It's a tiny community not worth the trouble.

Judging by YOUR rather apparent lack of understanding concerning grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and misuse (not disuse) of words in general, YOU'RE probably not qualified to post on ANY forum!

MISinformation is the word you were looking for.

Also, it's wEIrd (not wIErd) that you would be so quick to accuse someone else of trying to make you look stupid when you were doing such a fine job of it yourself! 😳

q3corn

Hey thanks for bringin' this thread back! I forgot about it!

I know autos are perfect for this. I've not ventured into growing autos, since what I really like is the photoperiod process of veg, clone, flower, etc. I like the idea of being able to keep moms, but keep them small. Some plants don't like that, and some do. I'm not personally interested in S1's because I would like to keep seed making as an option, and I just enjoy the idea of female x male crosses more than reversing plants. That's just my interest, though.

I've done a bit of crosses in the last few years but in a much larger space to be able to handle plant numbers. I'm back into small cabinets, so now it's time to really start digging through my seeds to hunt through and make strains that respond well to tight root spaces, low lights, etc.

I know there are a few other people doing this for themselves in similar spaces. It would be cool to have a conversation about the things we look for. I'm sure most of you have more years under your belt than me, so I'm really curious what sorts of observations you've made and hurdles you have to jump in order to maintain small breeding projects.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Controllable seems to be key here. From Auto's that stay small, to the users who will try and train anything. I would avoid things that want to stretch for a month, and go with the solid indica lines.

One of Sensi Seeds's classics, Hash Plant stays compact during her extra-short flowering time. Her tight, resin-drenched flower clusters develop a brittle surface when dried and give off a deep, rich Afghani aroma that’s undercut with a hint of hashish. This 90% indica is the product of careful genetic selection, a process that involved matching the mysterious Hash Plant original from the U.S. with Northern Lights

That sounds like a plant that will double in size when flowered. So in grow, you can judge when to flip the switch. Then 8 weeks later, you're done. Dense buds packed closely together. Things like Afghan and Kush are often bred with, to bring these qualities to things that would otherwise be poor to work with. Flavors as the kids call them. You probably want to avoid all but the most stoutly Indica material. As anything else introduced, won't be good for your space concerns.

q3corn

Hey f-e!

I actually just got some hash plant seeds. I'm thinking of finding a good male in that stock and and seeing if it's a good "shortener" of plants, so to speak.

Stretch is absolutely the biggest concern. But ultimately I want bud that tastes good, and I want a variety. I've heard some ideas about breeding where you would basically take 2 lines from each cross and focus on one characteristic each. For example, my biggest project to date has been Sour Urkle x Vulcan. In it, I want to focus on 2 different things: sour, grapey flavor, and short stretch. So with my f1 stock I did a large pollination with 2 low-stretch males onto 7 different females. I'm going to take the seeds from the most flavorful female and breed down the line for reliable flavor. I'm also going to take the shortest stretch female from that cross, and breed it down so that there's consistently low stretch. Then I'll find examples of a male or female from each of those lines and cross them together, giving what I've heard referred to as "hybrid f1 vigor." Meaning, I'll be crossing reliably tasty genetics with reliably short genetics from the same gene pool. My understanding is that this would give me a few different phenos in the seed stock, but they'll have very strong characteristics and won't have too much risk from inbreeding.

Does that all sound accurate? I'm not worried about time spent, this is a hobby that I don't look forward to ever stopping.

Latest posts

Latest posts