What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat/Jacks questions

double_J

Hey peeps! I’m in the process of finishing up my current grow and starting to plan for my next. I will be switching from GH nutes to jacks 3-2-1 and hopefully adding blumats (thinking 3 plants- each in a 5 gallon fabric pot).
My questions are this:
1. If using a 5 gallon bucket as res. with jacks mixed in at typical 3.6/2.4/1.2, say in 2 days the plants drink 2 gallons, do I just add back 2 gallons of full strength 3-2-1 and ph the res. to ~5.8?
2. I know its a difficult question to answer as there may be many variables, but how long should a 5 gallon res. last growing 3 plants? (i.e.- week or so early veg/ 3-4 days late veg/ 2-3 days flower)
3. Since I plan to grow in 5 gallon fabric pots, is it best to get extra blumat carrots and start them in 1 gallon fabric pots then transplant to 5 gallon with the extra carrots? Or just start then in the 5 gallon?
I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions but these are the main ones I was wondering about. Thanks guys!:plant grow:

DJ with an elevated 5 gallon res feeding blumats with your stated plant count shouldn’t be an issue. I would suggest 3 gallon fabric pots instead of 5. Law of diminishing returns, you will not see any more yields from the 5 gallon pots. I run 3 gallon Smartpots with one blumat and three drip emitters per pot. I’ve found that with anything larger than a 1 gallon fabric pot one drip site will not saturate as evenly.

Transplanting from a fabric pots is a pain in the neck. I veg in 1 gallon plastic pots and transplant into a 3 gal SP. Make sure your manifold has a purge valve at the end to release air, and make sure you have plenty elevation or the pressure from the res will vary as it gets emptier. I also add Drip Clean and Hypogrow every other feeding. After every two res changes I’d feed with only RO water @ 5.8ph with Drip Clean or Hypogrow.

To answer your other question once they get to drinking, in 3 gallon pots in mid to late flower you’ll problally get 2-4 days out of 5 gallons in your res. Make sure the pots are in saucers or a tray as you’ll have runoff the first couple weeks as you dial the blumats, a shop vac is a must with blumats.

double_J

Awesome thanks for the info. I ordered 3 gallon smart pots as well as drip clean. Ready to give this a go!