What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

transplant in coco coir - help

OOoo 50w a foot. That's some serious lighting. 40w seems nice, so perhaps you can run them around 80% and prolong their life while aiding efficiency.

Making me want to try ice cream now. I imagine it's like white rhino or a relative.

I thought you would aim to fill your tent with some sort of canopy. The number of root systems supporting such a canopy isn't that relevant. 1 plant or 4 I wouldn't expect to tell the difference from above. It's only at 16 plants that things change much, as lollypopping becomes viable.

It's great that you can buy cuttings. When it gets back to normal you have the option to just flower 9-16 of them and be chopping down every couple of months without any difficulty getting more. Self sufficiency just isn't so important to you looking forwards. Here, if we flower off something with taking cuts, you can't rely on getting it back from somebody.

If you are working from seed, then 1 plant is the winner due to maturity. 4 just won't be old enough at flowering time with a foot each.

Yes indeed I can't wait to buy! also because this shop has some cuttings of ice cream from california that are scary! Try searching on the internet for some info about Gelato, specifically maybe number 33 which is the best in the world! You will fall in love :) With 200 watts you get serious! I will only do one plant, in mainlining or maybe in scrog, the scrog scares me, I am quite obsessive and I know I would go check and move every 5 minutes, for this I would like to avoid it, mainlining is much quieter and does not cause so much stress to the plant and to the grower. Maybe I'll do a 16 or 32 mainlinin to make it lower and wider scrog style but with the advantages of mainlining. Thanks for your suggestions :)

Ive never seen any problems from having Perlite in the mix although 50/50 is a bit high I think more like 20p/80c, depends on pot size and quality of the coco, a little perlite just makes drainage that bit better in the beginning once they established its not needed or if you know how to ease them in and not keep them too wet kicking off its not needed.

I think the biggest problem guys have that are new to coco is drowning starts in full coco that holds a lot of water, build that root system by making them look for water and then when they hit that spot in the first couple of weeks where they will love multi feeds.

I agree straight coco is best just be careful of how wet it is early.

I decided to use perlite because I have read so many guides, so many tutorials, so many posts and so many diaries. Everyone uses perlite so I trusted it. I wanted to use it at 50% to maximize drainage and oxygen ratio. To push even more I will also use fabric pots. The automatic irrigation will be the final blow to increasing the metabolism of my young ice cream. I wanted to push the performance of this substrate to the maximum as I have seen so many do. I aim to get a lot of daily irrigations, from 5 to 7 or even 8. I hope everything goes well :)

HGCC

Personally I prefer the kind with some perlite, 70/30 ratio. I think it dries faster and allows for more frequent watering. Quite a bit of "bro" science in my reasoning though, it performs pretty similar to straight coco, just sort of a personal preference.

50% may be a bit high...some do grow in systems that are just straight perlite so maybe see if they are doing something special.

coldcanna

Veteran
I grow in a commercial setting and we use 50/50 coco/perlite with great success, I can assure you that there is no problem with the mix, and that there is also no size or time limit for how big and/or how long you can grow in coir.

For a 2x2 tent, something in the area of 15-20L should be the upper limit. The transplanting sizes are not so important as is your watering techniques. You want to make sure that you fully drench the media on transplant day, then allow it to have some dry down time. I like to use a technique called "syringing" where you feed a small amount of water directly at the base of the stalk so that the clone cube and the well established roots get a small drink everyday, but allow the majority of the coco to have a few days between waterings. This technique gives you the best of both worlds by maintaining nutrient flow and forcing rooting through a dry back period.

Hi everyone. I am writing to you about some problems I am having with perlite. I don't know if the one I bought sucks or if I have some problems but how perlite comes into play in my crops the problems begin. I am growing in coconut, I started some seeds in full coconut and others in coconut and perlite, the former have thrived, the latter have always struggled to grow, and then at the time of racking, the prosperous seedlings in coconut only, once transplanted into coco and perlite at 50/50 they started to show all kinds of problems. I'm starting to think that the petite I bought (and thoroughly washed) sucks.

ridoo

perlite is kind of totally inert material
but your 50% mix must be take in considerations when you feed them, I guess you can't run this exactly like 100% pure coco
and if it's your first grow don't bother about transplanting, you can make a full run in 5L containers easy peasy

Mattbho

I grow in a commercial setting and we use 50/50 coco/perlite with great success, I can assure you that there is no problem with the mix, and that there is also no size or time limit for how big and/or how long you can grow in coir.

For a 2x2 tent, something in the area of 15-20L should be the upper limit. The transplanting sizes are not so important as is your watering techniques. You want to make sure that you fully drench the media on transplant day, then allow it to have some dry down time. I like to use a technique called "syringing" where you feed a small amount of water directly at the base of the stalk so that the clone cube and the well established roots get a small drink everyday, but allow the majority of the coco to have a few days between waterings. This technique gives you the best of both worlds by maintaining nutrient flow and forcing rooting through a dry back period.

Thats an awsome tip . I'm surprised more isn't said about drowning small root systems in coco

I started two seeds, one directly in the 11 liter intelligent tissue pot, and the other in a 0.3 liter plastic germination pot. both in pure coconut. let's see how things turn out and I'll keep the best.

Latest posts

Latest posts