What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dosage for Sheep?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've a rancher with a need to knock a sheep out for a few hours to half a day, and I'm curious about medible dosages. I have a tiny bit of experience dosing dogs, but am curious about the differences for a sheep.

Anyone know if sheep need more THC/lb of weight than dogs? Any and all helpful advice appreciated.
:tiphat:

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to suggest dinner,and drinks ,maybe a movie.
But,with the Covid restrictions still in place,probably better to go with your approach :biggrin:

Douglas.Curtis

Wonderfully unhelpful comments from the peanut gallery.

Any comments from educated folks on the subject?

caliprop215

Veteran
Just give them same thing u would eat. Doubt it will knock it out tho. I would double it. I use to give my dog edibles all the time he loved it. He would run forever and not stop then crash really hard lol

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
I've a rancher with a need to knock a sheep out for a few hours to half a day, and I'm curious about medible dosages. I have a tiny bit of experience dosing dogs, but am curious about the differences for a sheep.

Anyone know if sheep need more THC/lb of weight than dogs? Any and all helpful advice appreciated.
:tiphat:
Wonder why...
If you have to, then use a vet. Dont experiment with an innocent animal.

P

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I couldn't agree more. Besides, hasn't it been discussed that THC can be harmful and even fatal to some animals? Even dogs?

I know people "Have done it". But, I shoved a fucking needle full of heroin in my arm for years too. Didn't make it the right thing to do.

See a vet and get the proper medicine for the purpose.

Fucking back yard vets.

Douglas.Curtis

hasn't it been discussed that THC can be harmful and even fatal to some animals? Even dogs?

Never heard anything of the sort, ever. WTF *other* than cannabis did they give the animal? No, it's not harmful to the animal. Vet? lol No I don't need a vet for trimming hooves. I also don't need a struggling sheep messing up my back. LOL.

There's nothing harmful about overdosing an animal and 'working' with them in a sedated state. I've seen nothing but positive effects, and have literally used it for rehabing dogs for years.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Trimming hooves hey? Yeah ok. Surley its cheaper to just hire a normal hooker.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
fed edibles once to pig before butcher picked up guessing 250-500ml thc. the pig was so outta it we had to wench it on the trailer. atleast it was super relaxed in its final moments

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Never heard anything of the sort, ever. WTF *other* than cannabis did they give the animal? No, it's not harmful to the animal. Vet? lol No I don't need a vet for trimming hooves. I also don't need a struggling sheep messing up my back. LOL.

There's nothing harmful about overdosing an animal and 'working' with them in a sedated state. I've seen nothing but positive effects, and have literally used it for rehabing dogs for years.

Do a quick search, bud. There are a zillion references to fatality in dogs and cats from THC and pot, in general. I'm not saying they are all true. Or, any of them. Just, that I read it. I would NEVER give my dog pot. I love my dog.

Quotes...

Dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains, which means the effects of cannabis are more dramatic and potentially more toxic when compared to humans. A small amount of cannabis is all it takes to cause toxicity in cats and dogs.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/marijuana-intoxication-in-dogs-and-cats

over the past 6 years, Pet Poison Helpline has experienced a 448% increase in marijuana cases. Here’s what you should know about marijuana ingestion in pets.

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-safety-tips/marijuana-toxicity-pets/

https://cannabissupplementsforpets.com/is-thc-bad-for-dogs/

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-veterinary-experts-cannabis-fatal-poison.html

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23796481/

The minimum lethal oral dose for dogs for THC is more than 3 g/kg. Although the drug has a high margin of safety, deaths have been seen after ingestion of food products containing the more concentrated medical-grade THC butter.

Look around. There's plenty more. Again, believe and do as you like. I spent 15 years at dog rescues. I've seen people kill and torture dogs a million times.

Douglas.Curtis

Do a quick search, bud. There are a zillion references to fatality in dogs and cats from THC and pot, in general. I'm not saying they are all true. Or, any of them. Just, that I read it. I would NEVER give my dog pot. I love my dog.
Well, thankfully I never read any of the scare mongering regarding pets and cannabis and have been safely using 'clean' cannabis with dog rehab for 15+ years. What a load of rubbish those links are, and you should take a minute to re-read what you quoted yourself.
The minimum lethal oral dose for dogs for THC is more than 3 g/kg
That's 3 grams of pure THC for a 2.2 pound canine. That's insane. The deaths are related to extracts of medical grade cannabis, which is mostly polluted with excess fertilizer and who knows what kinds of poison. Also mostly in connection with edibles, which again contains additional ingredients of unknown canine compatibility.

Stay away from high THC strains or decarb to the sleepy point, the goal is not to get them high it's to sedate them.
EDIT: I should have posted "Use fully decarbed cannabis, to the point it has that super sleepy sedation factor to it. The goal is to knock them out instead of getting them high."

You rehab dogs so you know how difficult it can be to retrain some deeply ingrained behaviors. "We" sedate the dog and then expose them to their triggers in a state where they're unable to respond. During this time they receive appropriate training, along with constant, kind and assistive human contact for 18+hrs. After this they sleep and are back to normal. The difference is the canine will have a significantly weakened response to their triggers each time. With only a few sessions, it's amazing how happy and healthy a troubled canine can become.

Cannabis is a low-level meta programming tool. It softens programming which has been deeply ingrained through repetition or times of strong emotional stress. Without using the cannabis, the retraining takes significantly longer and is much less effective.

You learn something new every day. Was always cautious, but I had no idea the lethal dose was so massively high up there. Our dogs clued us in to the effects by accident and we went with it. Nice to know we've never even been in the same universe as a lethal dose all these years.
:thank you:

St. Phatty

Wonderfully unhelpful comments from the peanut gallery.

Any comments from educated folks on the subject?

give the sheep some whole plants, though understandably you may not want to give them primo buds to chew on.

good chance they will GO CRAZY, and respond like some birds do.

they eat Cannabis as if it is Raw Hamburger or canned cat food.

Birds love Raw Meat - and Cannabis.

Good Chance sheep have cannabinoid receptors.

I would bet on their NOSE - they know - the can tell by the smell - the Nose Knows - sometimes.

Douglas.Curtis

Appreciate the whole plant thought, but I work with fully decarbed oil for the sleepy, knockout effect. :)

Hemp/Cannabis does make great animal fodder.

Latest posts

Latest posts