What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding for the best stimulating effect

Carraxe

Veteran
Harvest day at only 7 weeks for the Thai Angola Mextiza. I know it is too soon and they are immature but I can't wait more, I need the space in the tent to put the ACE Ethiopians.

Anyway, remember this run of seeds was just to check the quality of the Mextiza male I used (that resulted to be a real good one) and to evaluate how these genetics mix, and that's already done.

I'm sure they'll be a good smoke, and when I make a selection over these plants I'll do different and let them mature.

They rock for just 7 weeks and the buds are much harder than I thought. Also, I have to say that both Mextiza and Thai Angola produce very little, as the sativas they are, but this cross turned out to produce much more than any of the parents.

10 plants just harvested.

Cheers

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
Hows the nose on them? Any aromas stick out overpowering the rest?

I can't make a conclussion yet, because they smell different one to each other. I believe there will be specimens in both the sides of the spectrum, between the mextiza lemon-honey and bitter opium geranium of the Thai Angola. I'll tell as soon as they dry.

Cheers

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Hi folks

The most energetic high i got from some cambodean sativa i got in siem reap in 2014. Most of it was leaf and steam and lots of little seeds and my first thought was that wont get me high. But man i was wrong. That stuff was like smoking coffee:biggrin:
Was called cambodean haze

Carraxe

Veteran
Some days ago I pollinated some Mextiza branches with ACE's Ethiopian pollen and I see now that the pistils have changed color.

Today I just pollinated a Thai Angola, that has started explosive flowering quite later than Mextiza. Both are 25 days into 12/12.

This is the Ethiopian male I used. I still have several more.

Cheers

G

Nice carraxe I will follow along.
Years back I had the Mextiza, planted them all and they were fried by the summer sun as little seedlings when I misjudged their position in my seedhouse.

Carraxe

Veteran
A Thai Angola bud. This is a tricky plant, and I believe it is the first time I could get to a good result with her.

Still curing. Little flavor, easy to smoke. The jar smells bitter, like geranium or opium, but the resin smells a lot like anise. Sometimes it resembles lavender, when it is concentrated and smells somehow bitter, or not sweet. Strong, nice and different.

Confusing as hell. I'll try to make a better test.

The trichomes are ridiculously little, and there are no glandular tricomes like there are in commercial strains. All of the trichomes form an homogeneous white layer.
I can't make an opinion about the smoke yet.

Carraxe

Veteran
I've just taken some pictures of my flowering clones of Mextiza. I've got several, these are just two. 38 days, less than two weeks for harvest.

And this is the Thai Angola branch that was pollinated with Ethiopian pollen two weeks ago. Seeds are on their way. I bet there will be a couple hundreds of very very little seeds, as the size of the calyxes is in both strains.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
These are the plants I'm testing now.

ACE's Honduras. I believe they'll mix well with the Mextiza.

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze x Mextiza. Quite a lot of variation due to SSSDH being a polihybrid. It is just a test grow, but it will probably be a very good smoke, since I know the male I used rocked. And the SSSDH is a killer smoke, although it will compensate the nice effect of the Mextiza and make it heavier, less stimulating.

And this is the freakish plant in the show. Mextiza x Ghana. Some red stems that smell like burnt rubber, as Ghana used to do, but I can't make any prediction on what will come of that cross. Also a test grow.

Cheers

G

Shit! That's bad luck.
I wish I got to see the girls and experience the quality. These things happen, less devastating when it's tomato seeds :biggrin:

What way do you find Mextiza presents herself in crosses?
Looking good:tiphat:

Carraxe

Veteran
I wish I got to see the girls and experience the quality. These things happen, less devastating when it's tomato seeds :biggrin:

What way do you find Mextiza presents herself in crosses?
Looking good:tiphat:
Mextiza tends to dominate in the crosses. Any time I outcrossed her I got very quick plants that tend to smell lemony and sweet.

For example the cross with Jack Herer (I've got an old varnish-smelling cut) made plants very similar in shape and smell to Mextizas, even more aromatic, but the effect was more similar to Jack's than it was to Mextiza. And Mextiza's is better, more active and cerebral.

But lately I've been founding that some plants' aromas are powered by Mextiza. I've just started smoking Thai Angola x Mextiza and some plants have this flower-like, dry-lavender smell that comes purely from the Thai Angola.

Even that green and early harvested, this thing kicks. When I find the moment, I'll plant a lot of them and select the most aromatic ones.

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
I'm very happy with the Thai Angola Mextiza hybrid. I harvested too early, about a couple weeks earlier, and the weed has been curing for less than a month, but yet these buds hit, and they provide a sweet drunkenness I like a lot.

They also appear to produce well, and much faster than Thai Angola. Some plants smell strong like flowers or fruits, and other have some insecticide-like smell due to the mixture between the lemon on Mextiza and Lavender in the Thai Angola.

I believe they are worth a deeper look, I'll run them again and take cuts as soon as I find some space.

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These are my last Mextiza F2 seeds made in 2015 if I remember well. I'm popping them, but I don't have many expectations because there always were sprouting issues with them. But you never know. I don't want them to get aged and spoiled, and there could be a nice male or female in this last opportunity.

[/FONT]

G

This tells me you have the regular version.
Looks like a a decent amount, fingers crossed for you.

Carraxe

Veteran
Well, I'm impressed. I treated these seeds with an agent that helps germination and put them at 30ºC and I got a lot of seedlings. Some have no central shoot, and others have different mutations, but there are at least 15 of them that look OK.

So I decided to plant 30 Thai Angola Mextiza as well to keep selecting and crossing. This weed is very nice.

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
After a couple of weeks growing, I can say that many of the Mextiza F2 carry genetic defects like for example not showing a central sprout so they can't grow. At the end, only 9 plants look vital and totally OK. That is, anyway, a good number of plants for the last batch. Probably both good males and females from that. Healthy specimens grow a lot and look very healthy in spite of that endogamy the line shows when inbreeding.

On the other hand, the cross with the Thai Angola made very nice plants. I'll select the one with a strong smell to fruit juice and the best stimulating effect, and I'll let them mature this time. Most of them sprouted:

This is a bud and a branch of a Thai Angola at 10 weeks.
I believe production is quite OK for a sativa of this kind, and buds look hard and compact. They carry a kind of bitter punch.

Nice smokes

aliceklar

Nice! :biggrin: Watching with interest. Fascinating to see the difference between the f2 seeds and the newer f1 cross. How much of the differences in health and germination do you think were to do with the age of the seeds, and how much to do with hybrid vigor in the cross?

I'm thinking of running a couple of inbred lines specifically to make healthy hybrids - love this stuff! :good:

Peace,
AK xo

Latest posts

Latest posts