What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

45*N - what's wrong with 15/9 in to out?

Sun-Light

i'm eugene OR area 45*N - read threads bazooka and dozens of sites and calls to local grow shops. want indoor to outdoors continue vegetative cycle. why doesn't anyone mention 15.15 hours on indoor T5 from the day planting the seeds and my put out date is june 1 which my light chart shows 15.26 hours of light that day. all the shops and 95% of forums say 18/6, some shops say 20/4. then i mention about the flowering because of light drop and they dodge the question or answer something else. if going 18/6 or 20/4 i've read about the the mandatory light reduction before moving outdoors but still could have problems... so why not just do 15.15 on from day one? i'm not concerned with a few less inches of indoor growth. isn't it more important to have the plant transition outdoors smoothly and then continue to grow with no problems! there must be an issue going 15.15 on because not one forum, shop, blog mentions it.

how tall would my indoor plants get in 10 weeks on 15.15 compared to 18/6? we had a freeze may 30 last year so very risky to move outdoors sooner. a bunch of "pros" on forums said moving out in may actually causes flowering and they found waiting to june will keep the vegetative cycle going.

start indoors, move outdoors, seeds (regular, feminized). have no space to flower indoors, set up is in the living room, smell would be to strong too. have 8'x5' south side windows too for plants and 2 T5 8 banks.

thank you for any info

h.h.

Veteran
24/0 no trouble with outside move. If I put them out before June, they will flower.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Sun light, the longer light cycles will help you maximize plant growth. On pure sativa I've shortened the cycle but that was all indoors.
You can go from longer to shorter cycles without causing stress to plants. Make sure your indoor cycle is longer than your outdoor cycle of natural light. Otherwise you will confuse your plants and growth will slow for a while. Equatorial days are very even for the most part. + - a few hours. You are acclimating genetics to your part of the world and natural light cycle. What ever the length of day light is going to be when you move them outside. Set your timers at that now and let them adjust indoors. When they get in natural light you will see them flourish. Peace

petert

It really depends on strains. Generally I move outside May 20th. I start indoors and keep at 20-4 then in April dial it back to 18-6 a week before 16-8... all kind of gradually. Some of my more photosensitive strains (Oregon Diesel and OGS strains)start showing very early signs.. but then Reveg.
Last year I put everything outside before May 10 and had zero issues!

I’m in the gorge 55 miles east of PDX!

Sun-Light

farmerlion - i haven't had time to read up on the diff in sativa and the 5-6 kinds. on june 1, 2018 daylight table shows 15:16 (15 hours and 16 minutes) so i interpret that as set the indoor light from day one to around 15 hours 10 minutes.

quote- [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What ever the length of day light is going to be when you move them outside. Set your timers at that now and let them adjust indoors.[/FONT]

Sun-Light

i went to the LAST grow shop yesterday. (and i buy $300 up each store so it's not like i'm a leech asking questions). nice guy/owner said
1. sees are diff than clones. my seeds should be more resilient to problems (light, times, dark...) than clones.
2. germinate, put in potting soil on 24 hours until first round leaf then first marijuana leaf the cut back to 18/6.
3. don't fertilize for about 5 days, got a weak Tea fertilizer and make it half what the bottle says. i believe 1/2 teaspoon to gallon.
4. he said indirect household lights (even direct) won't hurt a plant in vegetative only hurts during flowering. (but i read some places extra light hitting plant in dark period could force into flowering?)
5. i got all my seeds from long time/reputation european seed banks. i got regular, feminized, autofem mixed CBD and the normal. i chose only "does well outdoor" and most are "quick flowering" because one got powdery mildew but that could have been from the clones or i closed the green house up too tight with no fan.
6a. in oregon legally we can have no more than 4 flowering at a time which i adhere to. (no reason to be greedy just thankful.) but i will do one extra because i see infestation/disease can kill plants at the end so i'll have a backup.
6b. i will try to start autoflower indoor lights about may 15 then move outdoors june 1 (not sure how to maximize the autoflower grow when starting indoors? but this way i can legally have those flower while the feminized are in vegetative.
7. i have 2 2x4 8 bank T5 and 1 1x4 8 bank (tray not in picture). do you think 15 two gallon pots is too many in one try? i think so , they won't be able to bush much? maybe i should do 10 10. i plan on having real vegetables seed starts mixed in. is it okay for vegetables to touch marijuana?
8. i'm really nervous but i think i'll start tomorrow germinating in 30 year old Ziplock bags. (i called ziplock and they said they've never had BPA and ziplock bags last forever. LOL. i better go get some shot glasses too!!!! or rats, i didn't test the timer yet! thank you for all the posts!
QH6nK43.jpg

thejact55

Regarding veggies touching mj plants, here is my thoughts.
I think certain ones are a no-no. I keep my plants on opposite side of garden from squashes and cucumbers. I tend to get powdery mildew on those plants, so i dont keep em close. Marigolds, although have good pest resistance, are a home for spider mites, so they stay away. Other veggies can easily harbor pests, so in general i try to keep some spece between em all honestly. That being said, in general if you keep a clean garden amd healthy strong mj plants, theyll be fine around other plants.

Im 48N washington, i keep my babies on 24-0 and put them out mid may. No issues. This is for anything. Indica to sativa. No issues for years, they flower when they are supposed to. In general, sativas shouldnt be on 24-0 (but those ones aint gonna finish outdoors anyways) but for 3-4 weeks veg it doesnt hurt.

Sun-Light

thejact55 thanks! i'm going to have a problem them touching indoors. the germination rate is 100% out of 17 (highly rated customer reviews off of seedsman). germinated in paper towel/ziplock in 30hours. placed into these fabric pots. 11 have broken the soil and growing in 24 hours, waiting on 6.

8pm last night tues, the first top break the soil ALL had very yello[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]w cotyledons and i felt something wrong. i moved the 432 watt banks from 12" to 16" and opened a window, room was warm about 80F. i decided NOT to do 24 hours and turned lights off at midnight. in the morning all the cotyledons where healthy green color. not sure if it was the sleep, too wet, too hot, to bright? included is pic from morning with i didn't take a pic of the yellow cotyledons last night. some it was a yellow tip, some the entire round leaf.

i asked a bunch of grow shops and regular nursery how much extra power/work will these 8'x5' windows give plants but no real answer. actually it seems like the lights are bright at night but like now the sun is out (even when mostly cloudy the sun light is so bright you can't tell the lights are on. so i'm guessing the additional sunlight will be helpful. they are LowE so not sure if that filters out the good stuff but even a normal colorful food box is severely faded from 2 to 6 months.

all the vegetables are breaking soil too. i'm out of space and getting a 1'x4' tray tomorrow but no new light bank. they're just going to have to do they're best with the sunlight and light bank overflow.

since this the living room floor i can't puncture for drain holes these trays. i have to regular the watering so it doesn't totally flood the trays.

the grow shop told me we had a freeze may 30ish 2017, i don't remember it, didn't have plants then. i'd like to get these outside middle of may like you do thejact55! a nice grow shop gave me the idea of when a big rain is coming and you just don't have shelter built to put extra large hefty plastic trash bag over it. i think that's a good idea as a total last resort and it probably would work really well. i wonder if a trash bag would stop a late night frost?

thanks!
the cotyledons were really yellow last night!
RA1BCFw.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sun-Light

does it look like these are stretching because the light is too far? one of the longest around and i believe experienced employee told me 12" is too far and 4" to 6" but move the lights down over a few days. i've seen a few internet grow sites with light bank watts charts say 432 watts (8 bank) 12" to 19".

should i have a fan on even when this small? is it a must do or can i wait a 3 days until i go to town. costco has a (about) 4"x4"x3'high swivel tower fan (ultra quiet it says). also the solar security motion detection is on sale US$30.

i got, mixed strains, 17 out of 17 germinated in wet towel but 2 did not come out of so in 6 days. i dropped one on the floor and crawled around looking for it, did, and it is sprouting fine. all 20 fruit/vegetables germinated in towel and broke soil except the watermelon. the company told me watermelon won't germinate that way and sent me a new pack which was nice.

as long as it lasts i really like the homedepot defiant electrical outlet timer. it has so many functions. but now i think it doesn't have decrease hours over a period of time. but it was only US$15

PDX Dopesmoker

What I've been taught is that the length of the night period is the lone factor in instigating flowering with photoperiod plants and that night lengths between 9-11.5 hours are the range that will trigger photoperiod plants to begin their reproductive cycle. You can put light on them at night outdoors in June if you think you'll need to, but that seems doubtful to me. I've seen reveg in April, but not as late as June.
What seeds are you using?

Sun-Light

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PDX Dopesmoker - i have a set of autoflower that i planned to do but i've run out of lights/space. because if i started the autoflower about may 15, moved outdoors june 1 they would be legal because they'd flower long before the leaf/vegetative plants. in oregon we can legally have 4 flowering plants at a given time, no rule on leaf plants. (half of the of the trays are vegetables/fruit so i might be able to move they outdoors then have space for autoflowers).

can you or someone take a look at this image, the white widow fast looks like it's already being chewed on. if so what organic pesticide suggestion? all same soil, same conditions, same place. also any input on light bank distance from plants? thank you!!!!
iuVcr1h.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] Name Gender Company Acapulco Gold Feminized Barney's Afghani #1 Feminized Sensi Dance World Feminized Royal Queen Seeds Hash Passion Regular Seedsman Hash Plant CBD Feminized Seedsman Jamaican Dream Feminized Eva Seeds Northern Lights Regular Sensi Original Skunk #1 FAST Feminized Seedsman Pineapple Skunk Feminized Humboldt Seed Org Power Africa x MK Ultra FAST Feminized Seedsman White Widow FAST Feminized Seedsman [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }[/FONT]