What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Storing Manure

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Quick question. I picked up some rabbit manure and goat manure from a friend's farm. It's been outside for quite some time (the goat manure has been sitting out for about a year, the rabbit manure is what I dug up from under their pen), but as a result it's wet.

As of right now, I have it all stored in 5 gallon buckets, but I'm worried about keeping it there due to the fact that it's wet. Could anything bad happen as a result of keeping it in the buckets? Should I put it in burlap bags instead?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You don't want it to sit in water. Holes in the 5 gallon buckets?

Spread it out and let it dry then cover with plastic.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
You don't want it to sit in water. Holes in the 5 gallon buckets?

Spread it out and let it dry then cover with plastic.

No holes in the buckets.

I also don't have enough room for the time being to spread all of it out. It looks like the burlap might be my best bet.

h.h.

Veteran
I would just occasionally dump it into another bucket so the bottom is on top and gets a chance to dry out a bit.
Exposure to air will off gas nitrogen. Sort of a balancing act.
It may get a bit anaerobic, but spread it out when you have room and give it a day or two before using it.

Better yet, mix it with aeration material. Use it to charge up some pumice or biochar.
Some newspaper at the bottom and sides of the buckets may help as well.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
As of right now I've got the buckets open. I've got an old screen I'm about to set up to let some of it dry out for a couple days as suggested.

I guess my biggest reason for doing so is that I'll be able to carry a bit more when I start to haul it in. I'm only planting 1 or 2 plants at each plot so hauling won't be too back-breaking anyway, but every little bit helps. It's rabbit and goat so they should both be safe to use even if they haven't sat/dried/composted (though the goat has sat outside for quite some time, about a year I believe my friend said)

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
The rabbit manure's got a lot of bedding in it -- that's not something to be concerned with in terms of needing time to sit after being mixed in, is it?

One of the reasons I'm so keen on rabbit/goat/insect shit is because I plant germinated seeds directly into their final holes, which means my manures all have to be cold so as to avoid burning/killing seedlings right off the bat. I can mix some holes now (and so cow/chicken shit would be okay if I wanted), but most of them will have to be dug and mixed relatively close to planting, and so anything that's liable to burn the plants is a no-go.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
The rabbit manure's got a lot of bedding in it -- that's not something to be concerned with in terms of needing time to sit after being mixed in, is it?

One of the reasons I'm so keen on rabbit/goat/insect shit is because I plant germinated seeds directly into their final holes, which means my manures all have to be cold so as to avoid burning/killing seedlings right off the bat. I can mix some holes now (and so cow/chicken shit would be okay if I wanted), but most of them will have to be dug and mixed relatively close to planting, and so anything that's liable to burn the plants is a no-go.

the bedding is, im assuming is hay which will be fine. i just got done mixing my holes this year as well. i used a bunch of stuff from coast of maine this year. i was able to find a local source. their stoneington blend is fucking surpurb,but i do add some other things as well. i found a new product that i think will replace my insect frass. its called Optiveg. its chitin and amino acids! it has At 8.2% chitin. im gonna be trying it out. i got my soils heavy loaded this year with chitin from the lobster compost to lobster meal. if i was u i would buy some beneficals to add to your holes. a good cheap one that i use is from bioag called VAM. i also bought rootwise mycrobe compete bennies this year. looking for a epic organic year :)

OptiVeg™, formerly InvigaRoot, is the markets first truly tested chitin product. As an all natural and organic soil amendment, chitin has an array of benefits such as reducing the effects of light and transplant shock, preventing the growth of detrimental soil bacteria, improving plant vigor and resistance, increasing root growth and fungal inoculation all the while increasing yields down the line. Since chitin is present in the cuticle of all funghi, incorporating a chitin based product in conjunction with your favorite fungal inoculant speeds up the inoculation process allowing you to use less product and reduce costs. Unlike all other chitin based products, OptiVeg™ is not derived from marine sources and thus does not include detrimental minerals that affect nutrient uptake, soil pH and overall plant health. In addition to chitin,OptiVeg™ is chock full of amino acids which make up roughly 60% of the overall composition.

Titan Biologics worked tirelessly to develop a testing protocol which ensures a stable and consistent chitin content. OptiVeg™ is not salt based and contains no synthetic components therein reducing the risk of feeding too much. At 8.2% chitin,OptiVeg™ is a must use product for any growers who wish to speed up the vegetative process while yielding healthier, more robust plants with improved resistance and potential for higher yields.

MCGold

something to keep in mind. when using manure outdoors it will attract animals that smell it and come to investigate. mainly predator type animals but they still could chew your plants up. hope your plants do well and you have a great year! also I hope you get the info you need!

hamstring

Veteran
the bedding is, im assuming is hay which will be fine. i just got done mixing my holes this year as well. i used a bunch of stuff from coast of maine this year. i was able to find a local source. their stoneington blend is fucking surpurb,but i do add some other things as well. i found a new product that i think will replace my insect frass. its called Optiveg. its chitin and amino acids! it has At 8.2% chitin. im gonna be trying it out. i got my soils heavy loaded this year with chitin from the lobster compost to lobster meal. if i was u i would buy some beneficals to add to your holes. a good cheap one that i use is from bioag called VAM. i also bought rootwise mycrobe compete bennies this year. looking for a epic organic year :)

OptiVeg™, formerly InvigaRoot, is the markets first truly tested chitin product. As an all natural and organic soil amendment, chitin has an array of benefits such as reducing the effects of light and transplant shock, preventing the growth of detrimental soil bacteria, improving plant vigor and resistance, increasing root growth and fungal inoculation all the while increasing yields down the line. Since chitin is present in the cuticle of all funghi, incorporating a chitin based product in conjunction with your favorite fungal inoculant speeds up the inoculation process allowing you to use less product and reduce costs. Unlike all other chitin based products, OptiVeg™ is not derived from marine sources and thus does not include detrimental minerals that affect nutrient uptake, soil pH and overall plant health. In addition to chitin,OptiVeg™ is chock full of amino acids which make up roughly 60% of the overall composition.

Titan Biologics worked tirelessly to develop a testing protocol which ensures a stable and consistent chitin content. OptiVeg™ is not salt based and contains no synthetic components therein reducing the risk of feeding too much. At 8.2% chitin,OptiVeg™ is a must use product for any growers who wish to speed up the vegetative process while yielding healthier, more robust plants with improved resistance and potential for higher yields.

Kygiacomo
good to see you around brother. I don't grow organic but wanted add Potassium Silicate to my soil for my plants. Thought it would be great if it could be delivered via root system. I'm on board for disease protection it provides.

Everything I read said it was for foliar spray applications. Is that true? There is nothing you can add to your soil? If its a foliar that I have to spray weekly its not for this guerrilla.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Kygiacomo
good to see you around brother. I don't grow organic but wanted add Potassium Silicate to my soil for my plants. Thought it would be great if it could be delivered via root system. I'm on board for disease protection it provides.

Everything I read said it was for foliar spray applications. Is that true? There is nothing you can add to your soil? If its a foliar that I have to spray weekly its not for this guerrilla.

Hey Hamstring! how u doing bro? what u growing this year.

potassium silicate silica is best used as a folair from what i have read. just throw u some azomite in the holes as it has plenty of silica and will break down over time. it would be interesting if u could add it to the hole..

hamstring

Veteran
Hey Hamstring! how u doing bro? what u growing this year.

potassium silicate silica is best used as a folair from what i have read. just throw u some azomite in the holes as it has plenty of silica and will break down over time. it would be interesting if u could add it to the hole..

Hey brother thanks fot the info. Right now on the list is

Sugar Black Rose
LA Con
and just for fun not sure if it will fly at my lat.

Bruce Banner
Bangi Haze
and maybe something by female seeds not sure which strain yet.

Yeah I was reading about all the benefits of Silica but guess I didn't realize it could not be supplied via the root system. Bummer!
When I looked up azomite it referenced both plants and animals need the trace minerals. Are animals attracted to azomite?

Just tossing out a idea I use with fruit trees.
If you have any mink farms in your area, the mink manure repels critters. It's not as high in nitrogen as horse or cow manure so you may need to supplement N.
It's also generally mixed with wood shavings which is great mulch but the decaying of wood shavings also sucks up nitrogen so keep that in mind.
I

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
...So I've got moldy shit.

The canvas bags are in some spots molded through, i.e. the mold ate through the canvas and I've got moldy rabbit/goat shit on the inside.

Is moldy poop safe to use? Should I just discard it?

MedResearcher

Veteran
The mold should be fine, the worms love it. Just don't inhale it.

We have a rabbit cage, the shit drops through the cage into a giant worm bin. I will see white mold cover the fresh rabbit manure when the climate allows for it, then the worms quickly devour it.

I know a woman who breeds rabbits. Has tons of manure, and grows tomatoes with it. Everyone brags she has the best tomatoes.

I am just about to top dress our starts with the rabbit/worm manure. We also will make a rabbit manure lechate. Some manure in a empty barrel at night, add some water, the next day stir it a bit, then apply.

Mr^^

Latest posts

Latest posts