What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed run outdoors at 45N?

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hey guys,

I know there is a cannabis breeding section of the forum, but I figured this would be an appropriate place to ask seeing that it would involve ACE genetics & you folks have a great deal of experience in using Dubi's genetics in breeding projects.

Up here at 45N I don't have the ability to grow many sativas outdoors because of the climate. Sure I could opt for using a greenhouse + light dep, but I'm not really wanting to go through all of that. I have female + male cuttings that I took from my Purple Haze x Honduras. Since I really only need 4-6 weeks for the seeds to mature is doing an outdoor seed run a realistic idea with sativas this far north? Is there something I'm missing here? I'm not looking to get mature flowers, just seeds.

Here's my idea; I have 5 holes ready to rock and roll from last outdoor season. I would like to place a clone of each female around the circle and place a male clone smack dab in the middle of all the girls. I could shake this fella up and get the pollen going like crazy. If nothing else, I could harvest the pollen and use it indoors. Any thoughts guys? I'll toss a pic below so you can get an idea of how things would be laid out.

Cheers,

Kas

Jammal

Honestly that far north I wouldn't waste the summer growing seeds that might not set, that can be done indoors in the winter with what ya got with a couple shop lights.....I would try Violetta

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
They should be flowering by end of 3rd week in July. I would leave them in the sun until 1st week in October. If the weather is nice still even longer. I'm basically doing the same thing at 49, just different genetics. I think mine will mature just fine. You should have such an abundance of seeds. That even at 50% mottled mature seeds should be well over a thousand seeds if not thousands. Peace brother

Kaskadian

Veteran
Honestly that far north I wouldn't waste the summer growing seeds that might not set, that can be done indoors in the winter with what ya got with a couple shop lights.....I would try Violetta

Hi Jammal,

Thanks for the feedback! I’m not really looking to grow these strains to maturity outdoors. I’m already growing indoors and this outdoor area isn’t currently being used (or planning to be used this season) so I thought a seed run would be worth attempting. If I had plans for that area I’d use one of the strains I have that is better adapted for the climate overall. You’ve still given me a few factors to take into consideration.

They should be flowering by end of 3rd week in July. I would leave them in the sun until 1st week in October. If the weather is nice still even longer. I'm basically doing the same thing at 49, just different genetics. I think mine will mature just fine. You should have such an abundance of seeds. That even at 50% mottled mature seeds should be well over a thousand seeds if not thousands. Peace brother

Farmerlion,

Cheers brother! That’s awesome to hear. Up here where I live it’s a roll of the dice by the end of September as to whether or not the weather will be bad, but I think it would be safe into the first or second week of October since I’m not aiming to produce mature flowers.

This is an exciting strain for me and if I could get even a few hundred seeds for future breeding projects I’d be thrilled. A thousand + would be a remarkable success in my eyes! I also plan to collect a bit of pollen as a backup.

I appreciate the advice my friend!

Kas

burningfire

Veteran

at 45N flowering usually starts around the 2nd week of august, it's not unrealistic to expect some seeds but you'll have a lot of unformed seeds as well.

Jammal

With those genetics at that latitude from clone, you will probably get 20% good seed yeild of total seed at best...even something sativa dutch style might have a hard time finish at that latitude....I've seeded WW and Delahaze,Nebula,near that latitude and still had lots of immature seeds.

Kaskadian

Veteran
So guys at the very worst I should at least be able to collect plenty of pollen by throwing a male outdoors at 45N right? If producing seeds outdoors isn’t a reasonable option I can still expect the male plant to produce a good amount of pollen within 3-9 weeks of flower. I don’t really mind if I only got 10% viable seeds as I’m only looking to have 100-150 viable ones, but if collecting pollen and using that on lower branches indoors is a better use of time + energy than I’ll absolutely take that into consideration.

I have no problem pollenating the females indoors, but unfortunately due to space restrictions (my wife would kill me if I tried to take over another room to grow), I either have to flower those males outside or dedicate the entire flower room to producing seeds. I’m by no means experienced producing seeds, so I’d be more worried about dusting my entire grow room and having future accidental pollination incidents.

That’s why I love all you guys/gals here because I learn something new every single day from all of you. I’m an amateur when it comes to these landrace strains and the only reason my current grows are possible is because of you all. The same can and will be said for the seeds I produce.

Forgive my ignorance on these subjects and remember I’ve got a ton of respect for all of you and all of these opinions being shared are valid. Sometimes it’s hard to decipher with varied opinions, but that’s what makes ICMAG such a stellar place — we learn and grow together.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with me on this subject. I’m not sure which route I will take, but know that I’m listening to each and every point that has been made here.

Kas

burningfire

Veteran
you would be surprised at how much pollen one male can produce. You can keep them small, collect the pollen and paint your female plants using a brush dipped in pollen.

troutman

Seed Whore
You can make seeds if the strain finishes fast enough. :tiphat:

I made seeds further North than 45N using an outdoor strain and it was my largest seed haul ever.

If the strain takes too long forget it though.

As for pollen, I've never seen so much and I had bumblebees on my males all the time.

Kankakee

I had snowhigh's durban thai highflyer II going in midwest at 42º latitude but never got a chance to visit the plant after november 15th because of family issue took me out of state and was backed up with work when coming back into town. It was in a guerrilla grow deep into woods onto forest preserve lands. Just one plant as I killed off the male ( 13fter... )

Anyhow after area being flooded once in late october with standing waters for three days then getting hit by frost in early november multiple times it still looked outstanding on my last visit and would have finished no problem ....

Good luck

PS - I also stepped on underground wasp hive near this plant that sounded like i stepped on an old piece of bark. When i first looked down i was like wow a bunch of fly's are around a dead animal. But when stung in neck it felt as if someone plunged a 15 inch syringe into me and i ran like the wind. Ive never had a bee sting swell up and get rock hard like this. And the pain lasted for a week.... I have no idea what they were but if ten of them would have attacked ........ And I'm not even allergic ...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If you're going to do it, try to collect pollen as soon as you can and manually pollinate the females as they grow. I wouldn't wait for a gust of wind to do it if I can do it even a few days early.

troutman

Seed Whore
I don't think you need to collect pollen. :tiphat:

Best time for pollen release is right after the dew evaporates in the morning.

I shook my males and pollen clouds would have pollinated anything within a hundred meters no problem I bet.

I also shook the males at night with a lantern on and it was wild seeing gold pollen clouds.

Once you see the pollen clouds you'll know why pollination is easy. :biggrin:

Kankakee

And you can get extra time at end of season by packing straw on top of area for keeping root zone warmer if it gets real cold. not hay as hay gets moldy

PDX Dopesmoker

Hey guys,

I know there is a cannabis breeding section of the forum, but I figured this would be an appropriate place to ask seeing that it would involve ACE genetics & you folks have a great deal of experience in using Dubi's genetics in breeding projects.

Up here at 45N I don't have the ability to grow many sativas outdoors because of the climate. Sure I could opt for using a greenhouse + light dep, but I'm not really wanting to go through all of that. I have female + male cuttings that I took from my Purple Haze x Honduras. Since I really only need 4-6 weeks for the seeds to mature is doing an outdoor seed run a realistic idea with sativas this far north? Is there something I'm missing here? I'm not looking to get mature flowers, just seeds.

Here's my idea; I have 5 holes ready to rock and roll from last outdoor season. I would like to place a clone of each female around the circle and place a male clone smack dab in the middle of all the girls. I could shake this fella up and get the pollen going like crazy. If nothing else, I could harvest the pollen and use it indoors. Any thoughts guys? I'll toss a pic below so you can get an idea of how things would be laid out.

Cheers,

Kas

[URL=https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/kaskadianrepublik/009_zpsryov57tc.jpg]View Image[/URL]

If your male is producing pollen by about Sept 1 then it will work out. The earlier you can pollenate the better because growth of outdoor plants really slows down towards the end of September. If you can kill your males before Aug 20 then you're really golden. Have you grown any of these plants outside before or have any idea about how late they start flowering? If you only partially pollinate the plant the seeds will mature quicker.
Outdoors fully seeded you'll get like 10-50k seeds per plant in holes that size

Shooters

I've done this a degree north of you, works just fine, and it is a good start for your own IBL that will be bred for your climate. My current Shooters' Dubi started as a cross I made of Lionheart bagseed (US Sativa #14 x Unknown African Sativa) and Dubi's F1 release of Zamaldelica (zamal x Malawi/thai). I threw out some ice hash leaves and seeded buds that sprouted in Early April and survived the spring rains. The first two to flower were kept (male and female) and the progeny of those two gave me a progeny that finishes in 8weeks indoors and by Croptober in a green house. I'm on the 5th generation now and it has done well for me here. Give it a go, you'll be surprised at how fast these plants adapt to your environment.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've done this a degree north of you, works just fine, and it is a good start for your own IBL that will be bred for your climate. My current Shooters' Dubi started as a cross I made of Lionheart bagseed (US Sativa #14 x Unknown African Sativa) and Dubi's F1 release of Zamaldelica (zamal x Malawi/thai). I threw out some ice hash leaves and seeded buds that sprouted in Early April and survived the spring rains. The first two to flower were kept (male and female) and the progeny of those two gave me a progeny that finishes in 8weeks indoors and by Croptober in a green house. I'm on the 5th generation now and it has done well for me here. Give it a go, you'll be surprised at how fast these plants adapt to your environment.

Good idea. I'm going to try this by tagging the early ones. I'm at Lat 45 and it's usually good to october and even november, but every once in a while mid october is a blast freezer. And in that case, I'll tag the survivors.

gorilla ganja

Lot's of good advice on here already.

I would not dedicate garden space for males. Like someone mentioned you don't need much space for collecting pollen. I took 6 clones of males and triggered them in solo cups before they were even rooted and have more than enough pollen for many seeds. Also collecting pollen outdoors can be a nightmare.

If you control the pollination of females you can only dust a few branches, and still have loads of good bud. Also to avoid under ripe seeds just stop pollinating the females with 5-6 weeks to go. Then they can concentrate energy on seeds that will be viable and not waste it on seeds you can't use.

Best of luck

Peace GG

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Kaskadian,

Glad to know you want to produce seeds with our genetics.

Tropical sativas like Purple Haze x Honduras usually start to flower outdoors after autumn equinox (around 3rd week of September), if you are starting from old clones then they can start to flower a bit earlier, especially old males.

These tropical sativas can handle well the rains, but your limit will be when the first snow or freeze comes. So if it doesn't snow or freeze in your location until November then you have high chances of being successful with your seed reproduction.

Another thing to take in consideration, if producing the seeds is not a must, i would consider to use such nice place to grow some high quality sinsemilla using more early flowering strains which are more suitable for your climate.

Hope it helps. dubi

PDX Dopesmoker

Lot's of good advice on here already.

I would not dedicate garden space for males. Like someone mentioned you don't need much space for collecting pollen. I took 6 clones of males and triggered them in solo cups before they were even rooted and have more than enough pollen for many seeds. Also collecting pollen outdoors can be a nightmare.

If you control the pollination of females you can only dust a few branches, and still have loads of good bud. Also to avoid under ripe seeds just stop pollinating the females with 5-6 weeks to go. Then they can concentrate energy on seeds that will be viable and not waste it on seeds you can't use.

Best of luck

Peace GG

Yeah there is also the possibility of angry neighbors if you grow a big male outside

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Yeah there is also the possibility of angry neighbors if you grow a big male outside

It's going to be 1970 all over again here this year, when leagalization starts, as everyone and their mother will plant weed, and abandon them like they do their tomatoes. There won't be a plant within Ottawa that won't have seeds. Everything will be crossed with everything, just like a greasy spoon's Friday Minestrone soup.

Latest posts

Latest posts