What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SPYDRX PLUS

dragonbender

Height is definitely a consideration. I do F & D, which limits my height, too. Trellising solved that problem. I train the longest branches horizontally

Also, been working on changing the rez to a shorter, wider one with more volume

I had a bit of a pH issue which burned the shade leafs

View attachment 399414 View attachment 399415 View attachment 399416

Trust me when I saw the specs on the Amare I was sold, but then did some digging and found out it wasn't possible due to my ceiling heights. Only a a handful of companies I trust with LEDS.

Anyways, Petflora thanks for all the information. I've read a lot of your posts and enjoy the thought provoking idea.

Cheers Mate

murran

I was wondering how does the quality of the smoke compare grown with the SPYDRx plus units to that grown under hps?

jocat

i have been growing the same strain under both gavita 1000w de/hps & spyder plus fixtures and have all the flower tested & the tests always fluctuate a bit but the potency from the last batch (spyders) was the best I have had for awhile, I would say for a 4 by 8 tray you couldn't do much better for uniform light coverage and flower development, I just hung one of the fluance vxprx lights over a 4 by 4 space and I can tell the plants like it, the spyder really puts the light right on top of the canopy vs the vxprx 18" above.. we'll watch this set flower & see. As far as bud size shape density flavor smokability they grow fire.

murran

Thanks for the feed back jocat, is this the first run with the VXPRx? Is it the plus unit you have?What is the light speed like on them as they are narrow, fluence Said to me the VYPRx PLUS units is designed to cover a 4x3 space.

MJINC

I love the look of the SPYDRx PLUS but the price on commercial LED's is just way too high at the moment. I know you save in the long run but from the numbers I've seen the savings only seem to come once you've been running them for two years or more. Building your own seems a great way to go but where I live the components aren't really available. I'm hoping that as the technology becomes more popular the price will drop quite a bit

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I bought '3' 300w vipar's led's for a 4ft x 3 1/2' tent- so far seems ok.. I'm in the 4th week of veg... going 12/12 in 10days... we'll see if its enough light... I do have a 4ft/8bulb fluro which I mite hang vertically if the led's aint enough..

jocat

Muran, yes it is the test run for the vxprx & it is the less powerful model...that was a mistake..at this $ you should buy the best they offer and the plus would be the one, I purchased this one thru growers house on sale but still wish I bought the +, I bet 3 of these would be serious coverage on a 4 by 8 tray though...I don't know what you mean with light speed? th design is so simple. the concept of passive cooling on a 10+ year lifespan fixture only makes sense.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry jocat i meant light spread lol.im wanting to cover a 4x9 ft area with 3 of plus units.

Keep in mind the outer perimeter 6" reduces your effective grow space to < 4 x 8, so save money, buy 2

jocat

picture.php
Murran either 2 of the vxprx plus units or 3 of the standard would be very good. A purchase I doubt you will regret, JC

Last edited:

Muleskinner

Veteran
I just ordered a Ray44 veg light from Fluence - 2.2 umol/J. 85 watts, $250. Looking forward to it, got the Indoor spectrum.

Muleskinner

Veteran
nice grow jocat! impressive layout. the plants look good - what do you think about the two light's performance. the HPS plants are looking dark green & healthy in these pics too.

jocat

Hey MS, I think the real advantage is reduced heat, those Gavitas where my favorite for some time with the master controller hooked up they are a great tool for remote growing...but after the second Gavita controller went tits up...including back up battery's on both controllers I was skeptical...I still use one but i'm on site 24/7 to deal with any power blips..as for production if you have the right setup I think the gavita's will produce on par with the spyders. this is the first flower run under the VXPRX so will see, the plants are praying to that light and that's always a good sign. It's the heat, & how big your power bill is & maybe some other case by case details that really come into play. I don't like spending money on AC's so I am gradually shifting to full LED's...but in the winter I might run a few gavita heaters. Also consider the vertical possibilities with lights only 6-10" over the canopy. Eventually my company will go all vertical doubling sq ft without adding another building. jc

murran

Impressive grow jocat the plants look a picture of health.
I run 1000 watt de dimlux units at the moment just like the gavita's they kick out a lot of heat. The real advantage for me would also be less heat.

JollyGGiant

After much research, I pulled the trigger on a Spydr Plus. Hope I see decent results. Aside from attempting to grow a couple of plants under 2' fluorescents in my closet in college over 25 years ago, this will be my first "real" grow

ptyred

Hey guys, I was literally seconds away from purchasing a SKS600 from Spectrum King when I came across a subreddit telling me to stay away from Spectrum King etc. etc etc. but the guy didnt work for any company and said that the only light he could honestly recommend were the ones from a company called "Fluence" I checked them out and have been amazed . I am thinking of going for a normal SpydrX because its a small gorilla grow and im not running co2/. What do you guys recommend??

Koondense

Veteran
I can't make a recommendation because I never used any of those lights but the Fluence looks very good with an even spread and a good spectrum.
While the SpectrumKing fills me with some doubts(around 100 lm/W) and there's not much proper(reliable) info on them posted by growers.

If I had to pick one from those two, I'd probably pick the Fluence light and grow scrog style.

Muleskinner

Veteran
The customer service and people at Fluence get the absolute highest recommendation from me. Seems like a great company with integrity and the prices are actually not bad considering the technology they use and being manufactured in the US, by a company that actually has smart people answering the phone.

Latest posts

Latest posts