What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

G

DurbanPoison said:
I wish I would find that old thread on OG about making bonsai mums that were super micro-mini that actually LOOKED like the bonsai plant. Of course not the leaves but the true growth style. He did something to put the plant into a stasis under really low lighting and make it grow extremely slow. I just remember the thread being difficult to read as english wasn't this guy's first language and he had a hard time explaining how to do it but essentially you had a plant that really looked like the bonsai style plant and it was extremely small but produced something like 7-10 cuttings per week.

Thats actually the thread I was looking for when I found this one. I actually like this one better though because as you said the OG one was way to hear for my newbie ass to understand.

na it was understandable - it just liked the fact that it teaches u how to make a really small bonsai style mom and he explained it almost step by step day by day - it was very logical.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
RiverJade said:
hi all... dp i have the original og post on "bonsai mothers" if you want, if i knew how to post it here i would...

I'd definitely like to see that. I was never sure if I wanted to keep mothers or not, but this way makes it look nice and simple, I'd love to see the other thread from OG.

G

Well I really wasnt trying to say that the thread was not undertstandable, just that to someone who had not even finished 1 grow, it was very hard to grasp at times. It was a good thread though from what I remember.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
guerilla your tut is perfect and has inspired me to bonsai thx buddy

G

all praise is due to oldtimer1 from OG, not me. Well it did take awhile to copy/paste and format, so thanks ;) Let me know how your venture turns out

guerilla

G

Diluting the strain?Its been over 2 years now and the strain is not diluted trust me,I know someone that has a strain going for 5 years now.As long as you take all your cuttings in veg starting with the original seedplant you can go as long as you want and all this talk about degradation is just that,talk.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
you can keep bonsai mums for a long time as long as you take care of them. Proper feedings and maintaining them (root trimmings, regualr cuttings, etc..).

G

Just wanted to say a quick thank you and your welcome to everybody whos visited this thread. It seems that the thread is doing its job.

THANKS OLDTIMER WHEREVER YOU ARE :wave:

guerilla

My personal preference is to have 3-4 mothers of different strains. Yes its more work to take care of them, but then I can grow out a bunch of cuttings and choose the best ones and retake them if they didn't turn out the way I hoped. Also in addition to this 'dilution' - I was under the impression that the clone is just like it sounds - a clone. I don't see how the strain could possibly be diluted if you keep making new clones from the same plant during veg. Seems like it would be even fresher in a sense because you keep re-jump starting the growth and the medium is refreshed. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us - but until then I remain to think its a true clone. To each his own. :)

G

I am not sure but I have read that over an extended period of time, if you continue to take clones of clones of clones etc. that it will dilute a strain by reducing potency, yield and vigor. Id love to hear from someone who knows for sure, but like I said thats what Ive read.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
It's a myth Guerilla1018...MTF going strong for right at 30 years and NO degredation. If you cause mutations via chemicals, I guess I could see it happening but we're not dealing with xerox's of xerox's...it's actually the exact same genetic material as the parent.

G

Thanks for clarifying MTF. I was always suspicious of that claim but some of the people who said it seemed pretty knowlegeable. There seems to be alot of myths about things like this. Anyways, thanks again.

guerilla

G

Here's firsthand knowledge like I said before,its actually been a bit over 2 years and I've just got started with this pheno.If you've noticed,"degradation" or dilution is something that somebody has "read about",In all my years on Overgrow and other sites I have yet to see someone say they've experienced this "degradation" themselves,its always something that someone reads.I'd say my current "generation" of clones are probably a little better than the original,being that I have adjusted to what they like.I hope you folks believe me and dont disregard perpetual cloning because of this supposed degradation bullshit,it just doesnt occur and if it did it would be because someone took cuttings after 12/12 which is a major no-no in perpetual cloning

G

Thanks for the info skeletor. Oh I definately believe someone with firsthand knowlege over "things people read". I always doubted the theory but never heard any definattive evidence to support either side. Also, from what I can recall, the degredation only happens after looong periods of time such as clone of a clone of a clone through years and years. Anyways, glad to hear that its not true.

Wamen: your very welcome. The real praise goes to oldtimer1 from OG. Thanks for the kind words

guerilla

Last edited:

BubbleBoi

nice, so glad you found this cause I was wanting to look into bonsai mothers in the very near future. I've always done the perpetual cloning, usually take a cutting from each plant and label them accordingly and get the clones started out.... then figure out which plants I want to keep after flowering and toss the other clones, lather, rinse repeat. Never tried keeping a mom mainly just because I was worried about the space... back to the point, I'm glad you found this article, definately find it usefull : )

Latest posts

Latest posts