What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Late 70`s early 80`s Hawaiian

• Thread starter fry like an egg
  • Start date

Lrus007

Veteran
i remember mowie and kona from late 70's
to early 80's. was $10 a gram and came in grams
sealed in a seal a meal bags. was a moist pot
but stoney as hell. i do not know what the strains
were. just where it came from. a friend lived over
there and would send to another friend. came already
sealed in grams from hawaii.
Lrus007

Betterhaff

Veteran
…any strain grown here is called Maui Wowie by you guys over there.
Yep, Maui Wowie was a “brand” name applied to most so called Hawaiian we got here. Kind of like Acapulco Gold in the day (premium Mex). You would almost have had to get it directly from the source for it to be the real deal. The good Hawaiian I encountered was light green and sticky as hell and was the most expensive of all that was going around, even more than Thai Stick.

Jon 54

Back then you must remember what had brought the greatest influx of young people to the Islands. This event was called the VIETNAM WAR.
The best weed ever to hit the Islands during the Sixties through the Seventies came from Southeast Asia. Thai weed be it sticks , Buddah Sticks or just loose weed was all over the place. Great Marijuana from 18 ft. plants was all over Vietnam,TRUE SATIVA a light green with gold streaks running through it that really BLEW YOUR MIND just invaded the Hawaiian Islands with the Servicemen on R&R. This weed was so good that the leaves and shake was better than anything ever on the mainland to this day.
I am going out on a limb by saying this but I lived and got stoned through this time period and believe it or not can vividly remember it.I can recall a group of Kiwiis who smuggled over a ton of Opiated bud into the islands and it sold to the public as Maui Woowie. This weed was so good that a well known British Rhythim and Blues band had some shipped to them during there '72 Tour!! on the East Coast!!! This stuff went over $500.00 a Zip back then.
Most of the GREAT Hawaiian Sativa's came from the seeds scrounged from the pound's of this weed and others from the Orient.

Jon :plant grow::plant grow:

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
My this is an old thread, but wtf. If someone has something to add about a strain the information that gets shared is timeless.

Old Haole is probably dead on correct on this. One time I was on Oahu and bought some goldish weed that looked just like the skunk I was buying at home, but it was gold. It could have just been Colombian gold that was grown on the Island. This was in 1985 and by then Colombian had probably hit everywhere. It was about the same as Colombian Gold, but it was fresh and not abused. I asked the local what kind of weed it was and he looked at me funny and kind of laughed Kona Gold. I am sure that has happened to a lot of people that were insisting on a name. It was just homegrown in Hawaii by some dude that knew how to grow.

In the late 70s I did smoke some Hawaiian that was insane and straight up the best pot I ever smoked. I spent my life in Colombia, smoking the best we had to offer in my part of the country, but this Hawaiian was on a completely different level. It come on in waves, several of them. We were laughing so hard our faces and stomachs hurt. It was just unbelievably good weed. Very trippy, like taking acid.

I was just told it was Hawaiian and cost 200 USD per ounce in Alaska. The guy that had it was someone that was working in a camp or something and had a lot of money saved up when he left. We were paying 45 USD for Colombian in the states back then, and 200 seemed outrageous.

The guy told us to be careful loading the bong in the car, because it was very expando. I had no idea what expando meant, but I packed a good hit for my partner. He coughed and coughed forever. The guy told me to be careful loading the bong when I did and the same thing happened. I coughed and coughed. It was sweet and beautiful and every cough seemed to make me higher. But in the course of an hour or so we just kept getting higher. It come on in like three waves. I never had anything like it in my life.

It was probably just some guy's crop that that was awesome and he just got busted or whatever. Never seen it again.

I have no idea what it looks like because I was loading bongs at night in a car.

Last edited:
ahhh the hawaiian. i used to sell lots of pot but when we'd get some of that it was mine all mine. i was in the air force in the early 70s and we'd get some a couple times a year. then i started selling pot in the phoenix area and i'd get at least 1/2 pound once a year.

hawaiian pot was always the most beautiful pot around. great smelling and very nice highs. some of the buds were multicolored. thai pot is my all time favorite for the high but hawaiian comes in first in looks and smell and in the top 5 for the high.

we'd get jamaican (huge airy buds) columbian, panamanian, and there were some lovely mexican strains back then but when i wander down memory lane, it's about hawaiian and thai.

i grew indoors for 20 years and i've grown many of the top of the line genetics. i'd trade any of it for some of that old time hawaiian.

i'm a legal med user now. we've come a long way. :)

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Nobody is getting it... There Is No Hawaiian Weed. Just like there is no Californian Weed. It is just weed grown in those places by people like you and me. It would be like me growing some Kush and calling it Seattle Weed.

Ready4

Veteran
Remember the cans back in the 70's...there collector items today...yes bra da kine did get canned up and sold......

Back in 1977-81 a friends older brother would get cans with Pineapple chunks labels. What a super cool experience to get to open one of these cans and see it full of green. Different greens and some golds, all good , much absolutely incredible.
It was very special, different than the thai , thai sticks or columbian gold & red. Great memories, the taste and buzz was very special.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
. This weed was so good that a well known British Rhythim and Blues band had some shipped to them during there '72 Tour!! on the East Coast!!! This stuff went over $500.00 a Zip back then.
Jon :plant grow::plant grow:

'over $500.00 a zip' in 1972.... sorry no can believe....

sota

got some totally black and shiny seeds from a friend 1978.
they was very large and the plants were compared to my columbian landrace more vital and growing faster.
He said it was hawaiian seeds. we loved that suff, was much more potent, then our very good columbians......
but maybe the modern strains are much better, i don´t know.
greetings

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was lucky to have tried the great “Hawaiian” of the seventies. I had heard of it for years before but it was never available to me until 79. I was living in Del Rey beach FLA with my brother and our upstairs neighbor Dan had a great cannabis connection. This guy got the best Colombians and Jamaicans South Florida had to offer at the time, not to mention really exotic stuff like Thai stick and Nepalese hash. ZZ Top had just released their 6th album “Degüello” and my brother, Dan and I got tickets to see them play in the Hollywood sportatorium. Dan told me he was getting something “special” for the event and on the way to the concert he showed us. I never saw the bud but he had 4 pin joints of what he called “mowie wowie”. We were drinking and doing other substances at the time but I remember the taste of that Hawaiian. Maybe it wasn’t really Hawaiian but it was the best tasting and effect I’d ever had up to that point. Before lighting the pin joint of Hawaiian we had smoked two or three big joints of Colombian Gold and I thought I couldn’t get any higher but the Hawaiian cut right though. The Hawaiian made the concert exceptional and was the drug of choice throughout the event.
The next time I saw it was the same year and I was living in DFW Texas. This time I was able to “own” some and I remember it was super expensive. I went in on a two finger bag with two of my friends and ended up with a couple joints. But the weed looked almost blue to me and was 100% sinsemilla. It was said to have come to the mainland in cans and was the best the Islands had. It had everything, looks, smell and the most beautiful high you could imagine. One hit and your mind was on a tropical holiday. The effect to me was like a really good Sativa hybrid, mixing a very intense balanced high. That Hawaiian and one or two batches of Thai stick were the only weeds to come close to Punto Rojo in quality of effect. I never saw the Hawaiian again but I am thankful I did get to try it and mark it as one of the best.
I went to Kauai in 1996 for two weeks, never smoked anything but the island looked to have perfect growing climates. When I was there I “really” wanted to try some authentic Hawaiian grown cannabis but I guess I wasn’t cool enough for locals to hook up with them and score. I drank a lot when I was there.
Red rider

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Ok you older guys and maybe gals remember the Hawaiian that was making it to the States at that time. It was dark green and would take you out with a couple hits and rip your lungs out if you thought you were a man and bogarted it.

Late 70's Hawaiian is/was most potent smoke I ever had. One tiny joint with a buddy, I was completely unable to speak, move or form more than rudimentary thought. Unbelievable.

Mel Frank

Mid to late 70's had a couple of different friends who got pakalolo sent from military relatives stationed in Hawaii. They did not piss test back then so military guys could smoke. Piss tests came with ronnie raygun. The weed was great sativas with a speedy buzz and sweet taste. I was told a lot of seeds came from Nam in the late 60's to early 70's from guys getting R & R in Hawaii. In the mid 80's 50 did a sting in which they were posing as growing equipment and fert suppliers. Busted the people that bought a lot of supplies. That took out the core of the big growers and hurt the local grow scene. I was at Little Beach on Maui 7 or 8 years ago and smoked some really nice Blueberry a naked local had.

Kurla

Stationed in Pearl Harbor 75' to 77'. Had direct experience of Puna Bud. Fond memories and spoken of highly. Major flashback thinking of those good times.

DJXX

Veteran
In 1980 i was on the way back to the states(in the military)and stopped in Oahu at Hickam AFB...well I went up into the hills to a butcher shop(per my buddies there) and asked if UNC was there and he pulled out 2 or 3 to choose from..just $20... i hadn't smoked in a cpl weeks cause i was on Diego Garcia..indian ocean...well i was pickled to say the least...the best tasting weed i had tasted to date..DJXX

Skip

Veteran
I can recall a group of Kiwis who smuggled over a ton of Opiated bud into the islands and it sold to the public as Maui Woowie. This weed was so good that a well known British Rhythim and Blues band had some shipped to them during there '72 Tour!! on the East Coast!!! This stuff went over $500.00 a Zip back then.
Obviously that was NOT Maui Wowie. But I once had a pound of black bud all stuck together. It was dark, sticky and sent you to the MOON! My friends started calling it "Rocket Fuel". I was sure it was adulterated somehow. Opiated? Possibly, but the effect was an immense THC rush, so I'm guessing it was hash oil, not opium. When I was staying up in Ketama (the Rif Mountains of Morocco), I watched them make hash oil, heating it in a pot on a wood stove. It was just as stony as the Rocket Fuel and reminded me of it, but it was nowhere as clean tasting. Hash oil was back then was crude, compared to today (aside from the excellent honey oil that appeared in the 70s, made in the US)

Getting back to Hawaiian, yeah, thanks OldHaole for making those points about the various strains grown there being referred to generically as Maui Wowie or Puna Budder.

I lived on Maui for many years and when we got "Maui Wowie" it always seemed the same, bright green, sweet buds. I suppose that was the Mango. That's why I always assumed there was one strain around. Never saw anything dark. Pretty much smoked the same buds on Big Island when I visited there. And yes, on Big Island (Waimea and Captain Cook) I smoked with the sources (growers). But I never thought to ask the strain back then, as I assumed everyone grew the same.

I really don't have much to add to what's already been said about how great Hawaiian pot is to smoke. I believe the old hippies growing back in the early 70s selected great genetics (from Asia and Latin America) and the Hawaiian climate & geology did the rest.

There is NOTHING like smoking some top quality Hawaiian IN HAWAII! Talk about relaxing...

ctg

Veteran
not to get off topic but I was a member and admin at the ssc for those of you that were members, many of us are still around and miss that place for sure.. as far as haw goes I remember the old strains that came from the islands to the cali southern coast.. one that stuck out over the years was kuai electric.. awesome herb, great flavor and straight to the sky high...
just about the perfect enviro for many sativas of old..
-ctg-

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts