What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fuck Those #$% Ass Cops - Go Hard or Go Home

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
whats goin down fellas and chicks, i'm back with a new cab, i was wondering if i could still call it micro, but if someone has an 8sqft grow in here, i think i can hang.

my name is troy mcclure stihgnobevoli, you may remember me from such grows as, "misha, Misha, MISHA", "G13 torture chamber grow", and "Hello guys i'm growing a random bagseed, help identify this strain. here's a picture of the leaf" i'm back again with another thread you won't care about.

i'm just going to document all my grows here minus the special ones which need a separate dedicated thread. my new box is (outside dimensions OD) 4 feet tall, 22 inches wide, and 22 inches wide again on the opposite side. purty much 22 square inches and 4 feet tall. if you have been with me in any of my other adventures you know my other cabs have been pretty small. when i was building this cab my main concerns were stealth as always since we can't all live in cali and get medical cards for chronic hang nails, and enough room inside so i don't have 4 plants in 1 gallon containers being cramped in the space while trying not to be scorched to death from the lights.

picture.php

here's a picture for reference.

new box was sourced from the scrap wood pile at Casa De Pot, built the whole box including the cost of the hardware (handles, hinges, casters, nails etc) was...

....wait for it...

under $15 us dollars. i'm talking just the box itself mind you. the rest of it, fans and lights and whatever are all from previous grows. even factoring original costs it was still all under $100.

on to the box in question.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

sideways pic ^^^ you aren't high...not that high anyway.

the top part i sectioned off like 12 inchers or so for my electricals as you should always. i was gonna make a veg section too but that was too much work and i'm new to woodworking, shit i'm lucky it turned out this good. the lights dangle precariously from very thin metal wires and screws. i shoulda used eye hooks in hindsight but i think i was pretty high when i was building this which is why i used screws.

the screws and wires are supported by a really thin piece of wood also from Casa De' scrap pile, the regular price for a 2x4 sheet is like $15 i got it for 51 cents. i covered this wood in spray adhesive and mylar then i attached my bulbs. the bulbs are 1x70w HPS, and 1x100w MH total blinding power is 170 watts.

the bottom of the cab has simple 6 inch holes cut into 2 of the 4 corners opposite each other. this is the intake holes (these are) i have them covered with this black fabric that came with my laptop, its decent at blocking light, and it is breathable for airflow.

back to the top, i salvaged a couple outlet boxes from the trash, some leftover heavy gauge wire from when i built my ballasts years ago, a stolen male end plug and voila. stealth electricity. only thing on the outside of the box are some recessed prongs for me to plug an extension cord to. painted the inside, first with spray paint which did very little, then later with a couple coats of flat white. which did very lot.

there's also a couple of 80mm aka 4 inch fans up there, only one is on right now and it keeps my temps at around 80 during the day. no other airflow in there cept suck in at bottom blow out the top. i'll have to stick my camera in there and close the door to see if the leaves move from the air flowing.

lets see...blah blah blah blah, imma add a carbon filter later...blah blah... first up imma be running, "whatever the fuck" wtf for short, i dunno what it is, i gave my friend some seeds and then i forgot what i gave him, he sprouted a couple and gave me the ones he didn't/couldn't run. i think it might be misha/sasha or a goldilocks cross. 3x satellite fuel, 2x SSK (super silver kush. made up name -lowland oaxaca crossed to a bagseed kush male-) and 2x bagseed i got from my friend i call mizzy in his honor.

i also have some g13 f2's from gypsy , and 3 more seeds which i don't remember what they are right now.

picture.php

whew that was long. ill just put this last picture for now, i'll post more after i take a nap. this wore me out.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
My god man! More air flow, simply as a matter of principle.

what do you mean? there's enough airflow. the temps are never above 85. there's no fan blowing right on the plants but they seem to be alright to me. i'll maybe put a small one on the light platform to blow down on the plants and make em do the heirloom shake.

got 2 6inch holes in the floor and 2x 4 inch pc fans at the top, with only one currently on. the holes for the exhaust are only like 3 inches. intake is 2x the exhaust which is in line with the formula.

i keep the door closed.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
this is WTF, i don't know what it is but it could either be one of my sasha or misha crosses, goldilocksxg13 or goldilocksxcirca94. it's just whatever the fuck (wtf) for now.

picture.php

day one after i got it from my friend, it was already sexing. he started it in miracle gro in a cut off 2 liter bottle. i transplanted it into a gallon or so sized pot with organic mix.

i mix my own with materials found in the garden section of your local big box hardware store.
1 bag/1cf composted manure
1bag/1cf mushroom compost
1bag/1cf topsoil
1 brick of coco depending on the brand between 5 and 9 quarts.
1 small bag of perlite, about 8quarts
to which i add
1 cup of dolomite lime
2 cups of bone meal
and about 1 cup of jamaican bat guano.

i water with tea made of molasses, epsom salt if needed, some ewc, and some guano, or alaska fish if needed. sometimes i also add some hydrobact, which is beneficial bacteria.

picture.php

week 2 still looking good.

picture.php

week 3 started to take a turn so i fed it some.

picture.php

week 4 still getting worse, very fast, i had heard people say that the salts in chemical ferts kill the bacteria in organics and i also heard people say that they mix chem and organics. i have seen for myself that it does not mix very well.

picture.php

week 4 buds severely underdeveloped.

G

GoodyTwoShoes

Not very professional effort, you need to get some proper lights, your skimping shows in the outcome of the plants. First thing get a decent light, 400 W minimum, 1000 W will give you some bud to sell to offsett the electricity cost.
Anyway looks like you would have ended up with some bud to smoke.
But please, lights before anything else. The starting point is a strong light.
You can skimp on the rest.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
picture.php

week 6 still looking bad, lost almost all the major fan leaves and the secondary leaves are yellowing fast too like i'm not feeding it at all.

picture.php

week 6 bud.

picture.php

week 7. i stripped all the lower shit, i shoulda just chopped it all but i'm growing seeds in it. wtfxpurple stuff jr?

thats that one. wish i could post more than 5 pics at a time.

this is gonna be a long thread.

picture.php

picture.php

week 7 buds.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Not very professional effort, you need to get some proper lights, your skimping shows in the outcome of the plants. First thing get a decent light, 400 W minimum, 1000 W will give you some bud to sell to offsett the electricity cost.
Anyway looks like you would have ended up with some bud to smoke.
But please, lights before anything else. The starting point is a strong light.
You can skimp on the rest.
well i appreciate your opinion, but i have grown with cfls, tubes, hid lights and all micro over my 15 years of growing. this is just fine. maybe you are just inexperienced or you bought some really good hype for a sweet price, but 4sqft and 170watts of HID light is hardly skimpy. i could run this same space with 6 cfl's and pull good results. lemme run some math real quick. these bulbs are new so they are putting out, 6300 or so lumens on the 70w HPS, and the 100w MH is doing around 9000 lumens. 15,300 total. in 22 square inches. which after consulting a calculator is actually 3.36 square feet not the 2 i previously wrote before this edit, or the 4sqft i estimated in my revision up there. but back to the numbers. the old rule was always 50w per sqft more being better obviously. in my 2sqft model and also the dimensions of my old cab i was getting 85watts per square foot. not skimpy. in my new model 3.36 sqft and 170watts is still 50watts per square foot which is in line with the rule. some people say lumens. minimum of 3000 per square foot and the sweet spot being around 6-7500 per square. my bulbs put out 15000 to 8500 lumens as they fade with age. referring to the chart below which most serious growers have seen at least once in their lives if they've ever been on the internet and grow indoors. 15000 lumens is in line with the 150w hps on the chart, theres one for MH lights too but i don't have it readily available. this will suffice for our purposes. at 4 to 12 inches from the tops of the plants is the optimum range for this setup give or take an inch or 2 to account for the greater fall off of MH light vs HPS. if you will look up a little to one of my full cab shots you will see the tops of the tallest plant are RIGHT at the bulbs. and if you know the inverse square law you know that lumens increase and multiply the closer you are to the source. so at 12 inches from the bulb we have ~(this symbol means roughly/equivalent)5000 lumens per square foot, when we get as close as 4 inches we are up to 45,000+ lumens, and when we are at 2 inches from the bulb like the tops of my plants are now we have 183,348 lumens. WOW thats sooooo goddamn skimpy. i should go get a 1000W so i can have 1,604,268 lumens at the tops of my plants and i won't have wispy buds.

http://calculator.tutorvista.com/inverse-square-law-calculator.html
this be the calculator i used to calculate past what the chart shows. math is not my strong suite.

picture.php

allow me to break out this old ass chart for a second i dunno if you've ever seen it but you really must if you should want to grow indoors.

also is the only reason you guys come to sites like this to learn how to grow weed is so you can do professional grows and sell weed?

i grow cuz i love it.

i hope you don't read this before i finish my edits. i would hate for you to think i'm a ghost editor, i just got a little annoyed at the 10000th person coming and spouting off about how x amount of light isn't enough or the right type to grow weed. get some knowledge about yourself son. KIP knowledge is power.

Last edited:

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think he was just trying to help.

Wow 15 yrs huh, every plant ive seen you post has not looked that great so maybe open yourself up for a bit of change. Your ph,water or soil moisture is has been way off not allowing the plants to properly finish their life cycle, when I first started the same thing you got going on happened (yellowing fans die off by week6).

Try letting your soil dry out more and check your water(ph,ppm). I have a feeling your coco addition is retaining to much moisture aswell. Try it straight youll love it, coco rocks!
You can still use teas and such its just harder to overwater and you can still call it hardmode.

Another thought is that you may have bugs? Got any fliers buzzin about?

"Fuck Those #$% AssCops - GoHard orGo Home"
By the title I thought I was in to see atleast 18k or maybe even 9k. If u call that going hard compared to other threads here those fellas would receive death by firing squad if caught. Anyhow 1 of those look real tasty and looks like she's screaming for a hid. Happy growing. Stay safe.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Think he was just trying to help.

Wow 15 yrs huh, every plant ive seen you post has not looked that great so maybe open yourself up for a bit of change. Your ph,water or soil moisture is has been way off not allowing the plants to properly finish their life cycle, when I first started the same thing you got going on happened (yellowing fans die off by week6).

Try letting your soil dry out more and check your water(ph,ppm). I have a feeling your coco addition is retaining to much moisture aswell. Try it straight youll love it, coco rocks!
You can still use teas and such its just harder to overwater and you can still call it hardmode.

Another thought is that you may have bugs? Got any fliers buzzin about?

i know you guys are just trying to help, but i got this, been doing it a long time, i don't have a sterile "professional" textbook type of grow, i like to carve my own path rather than grow on autopilot like some people i see holding a watering can in one hand and someone elses notes in the other.

yes i do have a small gnat problem i'm dealing with but they come with the coco and the soil you just gotta deal with em by using teas with bacteria and a little mosquito dunk in the water. they aren't enough to cause any serious impact and they're on their way out. if you would read the words i wrote you would see i covered all your concerns, just sit back and enjoy the show i'll either succeed or fail. only one of two outcomes.

as for my past grows shit happens, i learn and move on. i would never learn anything scrapping all my grows soon as i ran into a problem. anyway back to the show.

anyway where was i... oh yeah my men.

picture.php

Purple Stuff Jr? i put a question mark because i didn't take any notes in the beginning of this grow session it might be some random seed i had in front of me when i was inspired or it might be the son of this.

picture.php

Purple Stuff, a seed i gave my friend who wanted to learn to grow. i started 3 random seeds from some shit we smoked then i left town for a few weeks to see what she could do. of the seeds i gave her 2 lived, one was a male one was this girl. i threw her outside in the fall since i didn't have any cab set up for a grow yet and let her go over winter she turned purple and i dusted her with a male.

picture.php

one of my goldilockxg13 males.

so anyway like i said i didn't have a cab so i just put the seedling in a windowsill and neglected the shit out of it, it was still alive by the time i built my cab so i let it stay.

picture.php

it eventually recovered when i repotted it in the new mix and put it in the cab. it turned male so i put it outside with the rest of my males to see what it can do.

picture.php

not bad at all, i'm gonna use it to dust something when the time comes.

Next up the rest of the contestants.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
"Fuck Those #$% AssCops - GoHard orGo Home"
By the title I thought I was in to see atleast 18k or maybe even 9k. If u call that going hard compared to other threads here those fellas would receive death by firing squad if caught. Anyhow 1 of those look real tasty and looks like she's screaming for a hid. Happy growing. Stay safe.

i'm glad you think the only real grows are commercial ops running one strain dialed in in a sterile environment. those are soooo exciting. me i like to grow in a small stealthy area in a hardcore state where you can go to prison for a year over 1 whole gram of weed. i also like variety which is why i mostly grow from seed, and why i use bagseed and seeds i made vs buying genetics where you already know what you're gonna get.

hard mode means simply that, doing shit the hard way, its the best way to grow really you learn a lot, and the weak get culled much faster. if you can't survive a few gnats then why the fuck am i growing you? there will always be pests, you don't want to cater to your plants, you want strong plants that can survive.

anyway sorry to disappoint, no warehouse here, and no clones. just adventure and excitement.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
almost done with the intro.

i'm also running some of 40AmpsToFreedom seeds Berry Sour Creme, BSC for short, i will be running 2 SSK cross i made of a lowland oaxaca and a kush bagseed i got from a friend, and 2 Mizzy, seeds i found in a bag of weed i got with one of my good friends and i named them in his honor. i also threw 3 random seeds i had in my pocket into cups. i don't know what they are though. i had 3 seeds i threw into 3 cups and only 2 came up, so i put 2 more seeds into the third cup and 1 came up. i think that those last 2 seeds i put in might have been purple stuff jr? another question mark till i either find or definitely do not find any trace of the envelope i had the 2 purple stuff seeds in.

picture.php

picture.php

group shot of the aforementioned plants some weeks ago minus the last 3 pocket seeds.

picture.php

pocket trio, the tallest in the middle is the purple stuff jr? which is the tallest and also a week younger than the other 2.

picture.php

a week later. or some days...maybe not a whole week.

and in the interest of brevity this is a picture from yesterday.

picture.php

in the back row, the large plant in the pot is still what's left of WTF, next is a yellow rootbound SSK#2 only bought 4 square pots. need more. next are the pocket trio, one is hidden behind WTF, next to that in the green pots are SSK#1 which is really short and bushy, and Mizzy#2, mizzy#1 was male and can barely be seen in the above shot of purple stuff jr? male, in front of those are S.Fuel#1, S.Fuel#3. S.Fuel #2 was a male and is also in the picture above. I won't really be documenting those in this thread they are in the thread linked in my sig. they may show up in some of the pictures.

finally in the foreground we have some clones i'm rooting while i build my veg box. the left side has a cut of SSK#1, and 3 cuttings from WTF, the right tray is some cuttings from a G13 f2 my friend grew.

alright. i'll see whoever is still around next week.

life is long, have fun.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i know you guys are just trying to help, but i got this, been doing it a long time, i don't have a sterile "professional" textbook type of grow, i like to carve my own path rather than grow on autopilot like some people i see holding a watering can in one hand and someone elses notes in the other.

yes i do have a small gnat problem i'm dealing with but they come with the coco and the soil you just gotta deal with em by using teas with bacteria and a little mosquito dunk in the water. they aren't enough to cause any serious impact and they're on their way out. if you would read the words i wrote you would see i covered all your concerns, just sit back and enjoy the show i'll either succeed or fail. only one of two outcomes.

as for my past grows shit happens, i learn and move on. i would never learn anything scrapping all my grows soon as i ran into a problem. anyway back to the show.

anyway where was i... oh yeah my men.
Dude seriously? I've never had a prof setup either, started with a small cab like yours. I've successfully pulled good numbers in soil,dwc and coco with no one elses notes just the capacity to learn and change to new info whether it be input from the plant, data from notes, or research from the web. Your logic is flawed and ridiculous, as far as sitting back and enjoying the show, it would be ultimate frustration to continue to look at your efforts. Carving your own path lol get real.

p.s. I know how to get rid of "gnats" if thats what your calling them, for good microscopically not just
"i dont see any fliers, Im awesome! they are gone forever"

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah that's what they are gnats, i do too its called BTI i'm already on top of it like i said, not my first rodeo. i also know about the starchy wedges and the sticky traps and the sweet liquids for them to drown in. i think pulling 7 grams under 70watts with a freshly rooted clone in a beer cup is decent yield for a 2sqft cab which is the most i've recorded in my old cab which was way harder mode than this read my other threads. i can fit like 20 beercups in my current cab comfortably 7x20=140 grams is possible or close to it. that's like what? almost 5 oz under 170watts in 3 sqft. i would be happy pulling that out every 8 weeks. but i'm not at that stage in my career yet, i'm having too much fun running through my seed collection so i can find some moms to run and pull 5 oz every cycle, or to toss outside and bush out.

watch or don't watch is up to you, i'm mainly doing this for myself and anyone else who likes to see some good old fashioned hard mode.

i'm bout tired of seeing the same clone grown in a different room under a bank of 600 watters and a different drip system. also this is the micro section why were you all expecting a 10 kilowatt op? the cops i refer to in my title are both cops in general and the cops in particular that ruined my last efforts and cost me my clone collection.

i'm glad you think the only real grows are commercial ops running one strain dialed in in a sterile environment. those are soooo exciting. me i like to grow in a small stealthy area in a hardcore state where you can go to prison for a year over 1 whole gram of weed. i also like variety which is why i mostly grow from seed, and why i use bagseed and seeds i made vs buying genetics where you already know what you're gonna get.

hard mode means simply that, doing shit the hard way, its the best way to grow really you learn a lot, and the weak get culled much faster. if you can't survive a few gnats then why the fuck am i growing you? there will always be pests, you don't want to cater to your plants, you want strong plants that can survive.

anyway sorry to disappoint, no warehouse here, and no clones. just adventure and excitement.

No disappointment at all. Just the title teased me a little. Like going on a Friday night date to a movie and finding out she's on here cycle on the way to a hotel. I'm not knocking what you have goin its just I'm from a state that's similar to yours and I be amazed to see anything over 8k. I actually give you micro grows a lot credit because it seems harder to be able to control your environment. I'm humble bro. I'm mostly here to learn in which I do everyday. Thank YOUSE. Keep doing you and stay safe.

If your set up supplies your needs, and at an affordable and stealthy manner, then go for it.

I think most growers tend toward extreme cleanliness and uniformity in order to prevent disease and maximize yield. I'm sure you are aware that you could improve the appearance and efficiency of your grow, but you like to focus on breeding and experimentation. Again, more power to you.

All that said, there are things about your project that are going to bug the perfectionists out there.

If you think cannabis growers are bad with this, you should hang with the mushroom growing community for a bit!

hobb3s93

i used to hate on grow tents supers hard(kus i thought they were way overpirced) till i bought one USED 4x4 for $100 then i relized for 100 bucks its hard to build somthing(especially if ur consider time adding to ur cost) that is so easy to take down,pop up and throw sum lights in at ur new spot , ud be running in a night. not to mention they fold down to save space when not in use.
i dont wanna tell u what to do ,im sure ur well aware of the product, just thought id throw it out there.:tiphat: