What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Insect Frass

Babombeez

I have heard about frass carrying some nasty buggers.

I will continue to avoid it

LOL.:bashhead:

You have "HEARD" frass carries nasty buggers??? So you have never tried it for YOUR SELF?

C'mon, man. Stop being so close-minded.

Put it in the soil or run it through the worm bin. Poo and dead bugs need to be decomposed before applying to plants.

Making teas and foliaring seems like it could transmit pathogens easily.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The above plants in the pics were grown with Insect Frass from Organic Nutrients... See any nasty little buggers in there? Or any evidence of pathogens? I don't have a single fungus gnat... Or speck of Powdery Mildew... or Botritis...

~beez

Babombeez

Nice what are they?

Kryptonite (Killer Queen x The Purps)

One thing I would like to add here is that we have noticed that Insect Frass increases the size/length of the trichome stalk and the gland head, thus increasing the amount of cannabinoids in the final product. Before using the Insect Frass, a good friend of mine who is a great grower would only get 4-5 grams of wax from running an ounce of trim. Now, he gets 8-10 grams of wax per ounce when running the same strain grown with Insect Frass! This is empirical proof that Insect Frass makes the plant produce larger and more prolific trichomes in order to "protect" itself from a perceived insect invasion, except there are no insects attacking the plant, it's just the chitin present in the Frass.

~beez

invocation

I looked up the price on this stuff and it's insane. I'll stick with my worm castings and crab for a buck a pound. I'd try it but that price is absurd.

Source

Kryptonite (Killer Queen x The Purps)

One thing I would like to add here is that we have noticed that Insect Frass increases the size/length of the trichome stalk and the gland head, thus increasing the amount of cannabinoids in the final product. Before using the Insect Frass, a good friend of mine who is a great grower would only get 4-5 grams of wax from running an ounce of trim. Now, he gets 8-10 grams of wax per ounce when running the same strain grown with Insect Frass! This is empirical proof that Insect Frass makes the plant produce larger and more prolific trichomes in order to "protect" itself from a perceived insect invasion, except there are no insects attacking the plant, it's just the chitin present in the Frass.

~beez

this is anecdotal. I have some frass still and have been feeding it to my worms. I used it straight in my soil and top dressed before this and saw no noticeable improvements in my plants from what I was doing before. Maybe it does provide chitin maybe it doesnt, but it's not some super ingredient that will change your life. It always bugs me when people claim certain things make their trichomes grow bigger and fatter. it would be really hard to measure a trichome to be sure.

Babombeez

Invocation -- that buds looks sweet and frosty. Chitin, which occurs naturally in crab meal (and other crustaceans), stimulates the plants immune response. The only difference between the crustacean derived chitin and the chitin occurring in insect frass is that the latter does not need to be composted first; in other words, the chitin is readily available in insect frass. I am not saying change a damn thing, and that pic looks great. As far as $1 a pound, cool! I am into cheap!

this is anecdotal. I have some frass still and have been feeding it to my worms. I used it straight in my soil and top dressed before this and saw no noticeable improvements in my plants from what I was doing before. Maybe it does provide chitin maybe it doesnt, but it's not some super ingredient that will change your life. It always bugs me when people claim certain things make their trichomes grow bigger and fatter. it would be really hard to measure a trichome to be sure.

all natural-- Sure it's anecdotal, but like I said, after using the Frass we pulled almost twice the amount of wax from the same strain as before. And it does make the trichs grow larger, at least in my experience. I'm not running out and telling people to buy the stuff, just stating my experience with Insect Frass. Also, in your initial post you say you bought a HALF POUND of Insect Frass. Have you ever bought more and used it to its full strength application, 1/2 cup per gallon? How much did you top-dress each plant, and in what size container were they? Did you PRE-MIX the Insect Frass??? :thank you:

~beez

~beez

B

BugJar

LOL.:bashhead:

You have "HEARD" frass carries nasty buggers??? So you have never tried it for YOUR SELF?

I have heard this from several people.

people do talk smack so maybe it was wrong of me to assume it is true

as far as not having bugs, powder or mold...did you have them before?

If not I heard AN is releasing a Lion repellent... see what I am saying?

Did you see improvement with strains you had already worked with?

the reality for me is that @ 10$ a pound locally I would sooner consider farming my own insects just for the frass

if it were less expensive I would consider testing with it. If I hadn't heard about bugs I would bare the expense but factoring both I can't do it

If it works for you I am happy for you

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Help me name this compost insect

Help me name this compost insect

Well I hate to start a thread this way but I am dont know where to begin.

Inside my worm bin, when every I add a fresh load of material, like MMJ leaves, veggie scraps, ext.....I get a heavy formation of tiny tiny white bugs. At first I didnt realize they were even bugs, they barely move but sure enough they are. They are probably about the size of a 1/16 grain of rice.

Ill try to get pictures later but honestly they are to small for my camera.

Start throwing names out there so I can google it and reference the two. I just dont know how to ID them.

Babombeez

I have heard this from several people.

people do talk smack so maybe it was wrong of me to assume it is true

as far as not having bugs, powder or mold...did you have them before?

If not I heard AN is releasing a Lion repellent... see what I am saying?

Did you see improvement with strains you had already worked with?

the reality for me is that @ 10$ a pound locally I would sooner consider farming my own insects just for the frass

if it were less expensive I would consider testing with it. If I hadn't heard about bugs I would bare the expense but factoring both I can't do it

If it works for you I am happy for you

Do you know for a fact that it was Insect Frass from Organic Nutrients? And by nasty bugs, what type are we talking about??? And yes, I have had fungus gnats before using Insect Frass, top-dressed heavily and root-drenched, and GOODBYE FUNGUS GNATS! A good friend of mine has had PM, and after foliar feeding with Insect Frass it reduced the frequency of it returning. Apparently with PM, it is extremely important to colonize the leaf surface with beneficial bacteria. And yes I have definitely seen improvements with strains I have worked with, and same with my friend who now pulls almost TWICE the amount of wax from his trim as before. It's not even that expensive, especially when purchased in larger quantities.

~beez

B

BugJar

Do you know for a fact that it was Insect Frass from Organic Nutrients? And by nasty bugs, what type are we talking about??? And yes, I have had fungus gnats before using Insect Frass, top-dressed heavily and root-drenched, and GOODBYE FUNGUS GNATS! A good friend of mine has had PM, and after foliar feeding with Insect Frass it reduced the frequency of it returning. Apparently with PM, it is extremely important to colonize the leaf surface with beneficial bacteria. And yes I have definitely seen improvements with strains I have worked with, and same with my friend who now pulls almost TWICE the amount of wax from his trim as before. It's not even that expensive, especially when purchased in larger quantities.

~beez

frankly it was one friend who had issues and they were some funky larva..gross. it was the only factor that changed.

in any case if it works for you then that is awesome.

Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and give it a shot.*

it better work amazingly well for 10$ a pound

* I gave it a shot and would recommend it to anyone for foliar

kushie

After using frass. I usually will get an explosion of blind springtails.

Maybe those are the nasty bugs folk are mentioning? They are a beneficial insect.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Alright. Next run side by sides Insect frAss next to crab/shrimp meal and without. Ill be sure and document the whole thing throughly. I got this Organic nutrients Insect FrAss on the way now 5lbs of it. For the price it better be amazing. Ill be adding it to teas and using the microscope to examine the benefits. Ill be sure and take some microscope photos of the resulting microbial bloom or lack of. Im keeping an open mind but I have a few doubts about some of the claims Ive read about it, we shall see...

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
I've heard nothing but good about the frass, i will be picking a 5lb bag up and staryt utilizing it in my AACT. Hater's gonna hate. If you dont like it... go mix some soil and GFY ;) Much love friends, SL

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahrite, heres my take..... dont waste your money!

I had over 100lbs and their liquid extracts, every combo was tried, like mixing it in and or topdress plus teas, and liquids....

It does nothing against bugs esp. fungus gnats/ root aphids........

oh wait it does do something.... hatch nasty little insects.. fuckin gross

2nd 50lb bag- straight to the dump

have fun

hahaha

but wait.. where were the bags stored? any bag opened or un-opened can introduce bugs / pests / un-wanted things into the garden.

but, sure.. I guess there is better ways to manage pests in the first place ( number 1 being never ever get a clone from someone ) number 2 having a good environment setup

also I remember once, GH had a product called CHI, it was from crustacean shell.. not sure at all on it's manufacturing process or content.... was throwing that out there just because.. I believe they stopped selling it, lack of sales?

Last edited:
B

BugJar

So I had to call and jab my buddy for shit talking frass and making me get egg on my face.

the stuff is pretty amazing for foliar and beat the pants off some PM I was wrestling with.
literally whooped it after 2 applications

after my previous statements I was too embarrassed to post again in this thread but the stuff is good. I started adding a few cups to my soil mix too

worth the money if you have a small garden