What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow

daveyhouse

never grew before. Here is the hood I built
picture.php

picture.php

Bought ballast and t5's assembled and hung by cable
picture.php

picture.php

But my max height from floor to hood is only 42"
picture.php

daveyhouse

But i can adjust height with pully
picture.php

used white poly with black backing
picture.php

And here are babies at one week initial soak. soaked 24 hours then placed in wet paper towels day 4 they were placed in soil with about half inch root. day six and we have green.
picture.php

Any feedback or tips is welcome as this my very first grow. I just popped my cherry

WISH ME LUCK

daveyhouse

picture.php

3 weeks from seed

I almost killed them. Didn't see them for few days they were severely dehydrated. Laying over against the side of the cups with leaf damage.

picture.php

daveyhouse

Questions,

Is it normal for these plants to be this short? Is it because my lights are elevated too high?
When would be a good time to transplant into bigger pots?

pots as big as you can afford, more roots, bigger buffer
shorter plants is less light loss from top to bottom
also more water induces stretching

daveyhouse

Transplant

Transplant

Ok I put the kids in bigger pots, looks like they were ready. Do these roots look fine to you? Its the best I could do with my phone

Plant 2
picture.php

picture.php

Plant 1 This is the one that suffered the most leaf damage

picture.php

picture.php

Here they are in their new homes
picture.php

I have lowered the lights to approximately 1 foot above the plants
They are 4 foot long t5's (I have 6 of the 12 running)

N

NoSocSlic

I'd keep them as close to the lights as you can without harming them. Also get them out of the cups and into a next size. Plan on transplanting about every 4 weeks while vegging and double the size of the pot each time. Depending on how long you veg, try and time it so you repot your girls right before you start to flower. That will stretch out how long you can go without nutrient deficiencies. If you don't have many plants then maybe consider makin a screen (see SCROGs) of some sort to stretch out how much you get out of it. Other than that don't over water them. every 3 or 4 days as seedlings and longer once they establish themselves.

N

NoSocSlic

Now that they have some size they will really start to take off. Have fun =)

daveyhouse

NoSocSlic,
Thank you for the tips, it is greatly appreciated. I started with happy frog soil in cups and put fresh soil in the pots they are in now. They are being watered with DI water every 3 to 4 days.

I was going to put them in smart pots next weekend with ocean forest soil so I could start pulling them over with LST.

Or should I wait for transplant?

Here they are at 4 weeks from seed
picture.php

Tri_Cho_Me

Another thing,
I am only giving DI water, should I be giving any nutrients, or is the happy frog soil enough?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "DI Water". Is that distilled?

The Happy Frog will be enough for a couple weeks, then you should add nutrients. Unless you're repotting often enough and using new soil each time. This would introduce new nutrients each time, so it could extend the amount of time you wouldn't need nutrients.

I am using Happy Frog and Ocean Forest in my grow. Check out my Grow Diary in the Grow Diaries section!

Tri_Cho_Me

Last edited:

daveyhouse

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "DI Water". Is that distilled?

The Happy Frog will be enough for a couple weeks, then you should add nutrients. Unless you're repotting often enough and using new soil each time. This would introduce new nutrients each time, so it could extend the amount of time you wouldn't need nutrients.

I am using Happy Frog and Ocean Forest in my grow. Check out my Grow Diary in the Grow Diaries section!

Tri_Cho_Me

Thank you, I did use new soil from the happy frog bag. I also have a large bag of ocean forest ready to go, but don't know when to start using it.

DI stands for Deionized

I am using a 6 stage RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/De-Ionizing) system

picture.php

I bought it from http://airwaterice.com/ (Dual Home Reef Kit) many years ago when I used to have 2 salt water fish tanks. No longer have the tanks but I do try to keep the filters updated on it because I still use the filtered water going to my fridge. I did upgrade to a 10 gallon holding tank last year though.

daveyhouse

I wasn't even thinking (common for me)

Here I've been depriving my girls by using RO/DI water stripping the water of all its minerals.

I was a Sam's Friday and I got a case 1 gallon jugs of spring water to feed them.

Then it dawned on me this morning when I woke up. I already have the perfect water to feed them with in the back yard.

picture.php

Those fish have shitting in that water for the past five years, plus a turtle during the summer months, and he's a big dumper LOL

daveyhouse

5 weeks

5 weeks

Here we are 5 weeks from seed
picture.php

On the right is an unopened gallon of spring water. On the left is a donation from the fish pond.
YUM YUM for the DUMB DUMB
picture.php

I gave them a well deserved drink but I forgot to PH it. Not the first mistake on this grow and we all know it wont be the last. I'm sure its gonna be low.

Will report back with level