What's new

WTF, Fleas in the grow room????

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
.. anyone ever encounter this problem, it's a first for me?!

Yeah, I could have posted this in the Infirmary but it's not causing an issue with the plants.

I did however have an issue with fungus gnats which I attempted to solve with a thick top-dressing of aquarium substrate (no sand available) over the infected soil.

It worked well for the most part, I still see some gnats but noticed a flea a couple of days ago and now when I go into the closet I'm bombarded by lots of hungry fleas looking for a meal, adults and juveniles - they have been reproducing on this substrate!!!

My dogs don't have fleas but not that bad (yet!) and they certainly don't go in the closet.

Is it just me?:dunno:

It's always something!:wallbash: :muahaha:

Last edited:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I would bet they are not flees. Flees eat blood, not plants.

My thoughts exactly but they jumped all over me when I got close.

... and yes, they are definitely fleas, just like you'd see on your dog or cat, look the same, act the same, bite the same just reproducing on the soil/substrate instead of the dog.

Maybe it's the 24/7 light schedule.:confused:

I'm afraid to spray for a lot of reasons.

Tynehead Tom

oddly enough, this has happened to me.
I used to grow in a ensuite bathroom converted to a grow room.
my cat used to accompany me in there sometimes and whenever I went in there, the dog would lay just outside the door.
One day I go in there, wearing shorts and as I'm standing at the grow table I feel sensations on my legs. I step back and look down and fak me if my legs aren't crawling with fleas..... hundreds, maybe thousands.
I freaked out, starting brushing my legs off and got the hell out of there. It took weeks to rid the house and pets of fleas.
I figure what happened was the fleas were mostly dormant over winter and as spring rolled around, they hatched from the carpets in the house and went to the warmest place in the house, my grow room.
never seen anything like that again but they were fleas alright and there was a fricken horror movie worth of em crawling on my legs, it was crazy.

Tynehead Tom

You sound confident, so I would have lost that bet.

This might help: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/nontoxic-ways-rid-fleas-carpet-80448.html

Also, if you have access to C02, maybe just pump the closet full to toxic levels for the flees, but the plants will dig it. Double check me on this, but an hour of co2 at full blast would do it.

I don't think so..... my room was sealed and ran 90F 1850ppm C02. Surely they would have died from that... but no they were thriving LOL

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

they sell glue traps for fleas, fleas are also attracted to green light, glue traps w/green lights nearby would solve a huge %age of your issues w/o a drop of poisons/toxins. check Amazon for flea glue traps w/green lights.......

best of luck, keep those bastards contained. :)

EDIT:
okay, checked there myself and no mention of units w/green lights, but several affordable flea glue traps and one unit ($12) w/a small white light bulb, which could be changed to a green bulb from your X-Mas decorations, a green light will work better.

http://smile.amazon.com/Aspectek-Fl...qid=1463088330&sr=8-2&keywords=flea+glue+trap

Last edited:

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
b2573529c7608de7addf89909e2b15cf.jpg

idiit

Veteran
I used to have a huge flea problem in the yard and the pets kept bringing them in.

raid flea killer+. spray once and again 11-12 days later for eggs.

also works great on spider mites. does not hurt the plants.

hard to get in stores but amazon for one carries it. that's where I get mine; 3 packs. CHEAP, WORKS.

raid trade name evokes severe knee jerking. raid flea killer plus uses Pyrethrin as it's main ingredient. I have had some chemist types here at ic come to my rescue re the allegedly toxicity of rfk+.

I've had fleas literally close to a 100 times due to our yard flea infestation. they are finally killed after years of eradication efforts. could not practically use rfk+ outdoors.

I've killed spider mites over 20 times with rfk+; over 25 years of indoor grows. I bring in outdoor stuff sometimes since i'm an outdoor grower.

I've killed powdery mildew with another type of remedy many times as well.

nobody either believes me or wants to try out my tried and true, very inexpensive remedies.

no skin off my back.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Adams products are also a good control that use Pyrethrins. Probably have to get at a pet store or farm supply.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I agree they seem to be attracted to light and heat.

The first time I experienced a grow infested by fleas I thought they were using the soil to lay their eggs.

It is very disturbing.

I hate any bug that sucks blood.

Like our "representatives".

Good luck with those fuggers.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Fleas in grow room ? You got Carpet?

Throw carpet out or clean it.Don't use chemicals.I used to lay out a white blanket and wrap my finger with sticky tape with sticky side up and wait for the fleas to land on the white blanket.Nowadays I use just use my lighter on my legs or socks..they like white socks and I would just point the lighter to the fleas.My white sock would not be white anymore.

I moved into a place and just got a cat and fleas would be jumping on me so I think the previous owner had a dog,cat.All it takes is one female to lay that egg on the carpet and wait until spring and you'll have many fleas in that area.

Wash pets with warm water to get rid of flea poop on their bodies.

With knats..I would just add like 2 inches of white perlite on top of soil and never looked back.First I would vaccum the top soil since it doesn't hurt the plant then add the perlite.Knats like wet,wet soil so be careful of root rot and let the top soil dry out a little before watering.

N

noyd666

ha, wife tried one remedy that she had seen on pet show, got two cats that get flea treatment but anyway you put a tray -bowl of water in front of tv and the fleas in carpet jump at tv and fall back into water with a bit of soap in it and they sink to bottom, caught a few so it do's work.
picture.php

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Get a Flea Comb with a metal tooth.Not the plastic ones.

My Cat loves it when I say "Flea comb" And make the grooming pattern with my hand as if I was brushing its hair.

She could be the most pissed off cat in the world but When I say "Flea comb" she melts like butter.

MECO Toothed Flea Comb Cat Dog Pet Grooming Steel Small Brush Random Color
by Meco by Amazon.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Am I the only grower who just imagined the two guys from Space Balls with the huge hair pick combing down a grow room with a huge flea comb?

:bigeye: