What's new

cookies cross hermed

sourkush

Hi,

First, sorry for my bad english.

I just want to let you know my experience with CSG seeds.

I always grow from feminized so i know it can herm, but i've always had 1/16 to herm.

This time i put 16 plants in flower. 13 from other brands, 3 cookies cross (connoisseur, TK and Chem D cross cookies)

I confess one thing, i've had a timer problem, and at the end of the 2nd week of flowering, only one night, the light stayed for like 2/3 hours more than it should have.

At 3 weeks, i checked everything for sexing.
1 OGK seeds from RP had one ball -> no risk -> out
Chem D cookies is full of balls so i take it out too
All the others = no balls

So i think it's ok, only females.

I put the cookies in the back of my tents and start enjoying budding

I don't check everything when i water, only once a week because it's very long to check real good.

End of week 4 i water and check evrything, and realize that the 2 other cookies are hermies but have balls only in the middle height so couldn't be spotted without taking the other plants out.
The TKCookies was full of little balls but closed. The Connoisseur Cookies had only 2/3 balls, but opened with the little bananas out and pollen on a leaf.

So i took them both out. But the other plants just stopped growing bud. Now it's end of 5th week and all the buds are so small it makes me want to cry.

So i know you gonna tell me that with feminized you have to check real good and it's my fault, and the light problem has probably do them bad.

I just wanna say - 13 seeds other brands = 1 herma so 7,6%
3 seeds CSG = 3 hermies so 100%

I'm really pissed cause all my grow is now fucked, i will harvest probably less than 100gr with a 600w, it's so annoying!! Specially cause some of them smell so goooooood and have almost no bud.

Anyway, becarefull with these seeds, they doesn't seem to be very stable...

PS: i sent a PM to ojd but no answer....

And if you have advices to how i could make the buds grow again i'd love to hear them

Capture d’e?cran 2016-03-24 a? 18.00.20.jpg

Capture d’e?cran 2016-03-24 a? 17.59.48.jpg

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey sourkush,,,,
sorry to hear of your "problems",,,
very frustrating to hear that some of your plants went to the "darkside" ,,,,,
light leaks and timer problems can be catastrophic if not sorted very early in bloom but i am suprised so many went he/she after a small problem and a problem that you attended to very quickly,,
i have a huge window that i am forever checking and amending bits that have tiny leaks and try to make sure totally no leaks before i go into bloom,,,,
just keep on pm ing OJD and he will get back to you,,,,
busy time of year for breeders with the various cups/competions,,,,,s2:tiphat:

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I also had 3 nanners on my recent CSG grow (6 plants), but I plucked them off and they were all sterile as I would expect from a Chem cross... have you actually seen any pollen on your CSG plants? you might be worrying for nothing...My yields weren't affected by this issue, if anything my yield was up on that run (avg 84g per 10 liter pot)

I guess when you're talking about crosses with a potential to throw nanners, any timer issues are bound to have an adverse effect... hope it works out bro ...

FireIn.TheSky

I had some full blown herms from the og s1 x gsc, basically the entire lower sections of the plants were full of seeds. The few that were stable were pretty good though.

sourkush

hey sourkush,,,,
sorry to hear of your "problems",,,
very frustrating to hear that some of your plants went to the "darkside" ,,,,,
light leaks and timer problems can be catastrophic if not sorted very early in bloom but i am suprised so many went he/she after a small problem and a problem that you attended to very quickly,,
i have a huge window that i am forever checking and amending bits that have tiny leaks and try to make sure totally no leaks before i go into bloom,,,,
just keep on pm ing OJD and he will get back to you,,,,
busy time of year for breeders with the various cups/competions,,,,,s2:tiphat:

Hey, thank's for your answer.

Appart from that timer shit, i have no light leaks, the plants are in a tent, in a dark room, and i don't even turn on the lights outside the tent at night so no light leaks.
I'm not gonna PM OJD again cause i'm not waiting for anything, i won't grow replacement seeds, won't take the risk again. I just wanted to hear his thoughts.

jedi5891

Sorry to hear your woes mate, I've had problems with fem seeds in the past. I may be wrong here, but my understanding of intersex plants etc is that if the plant shows female and male traits, ie the balls and the 2 white pistals. Then the plant is intersex anyhow and the timer problem wouldn't of mattered. If the plant flowers normal then chucks out Nana's in the buds later on, then stress has usually caused this to happen.
Stick with regular seeds you'll have less chance of these things happening.
I'd see this one through but start cracking some better regular beans and genetics to go in when these are finished. I've grown over 100 different seed varieties and Bodhi seeds have some real nice genetics.
Forget feminised go with how nature intended not man's manipulation.
Stay green
Peace Namaste

sourkush

I also had 3 nanners on my recent CSG grow (6 plants), but I plucked them off and they were all sterile as I would expect from a Chem cross... have you actually seen any pollen on your CSG plants? you might be worrying for nothing...My yields weren't affected by this issue, if anything my yield was up on that run (avg 84g per 10 liter pot)

I guess when you're talking about crosses with a potential to throw nanners, any timer issues are bound to have an adverse effect... hope it works out bro ...

Hey,

Yes i have seen pollen. When i found out the nanners, one of the cookies had dust on a leave, which was pollen, and when i took them out, i shaked them a little and the one that had the open nanners threw pollen out.

My yield is definitely gonna be affected greatly, i think most of the pants gonna give me about 5 to 15 g max, when i usually have between 35 to 55 g / plant. They are at the end of week 5 now and the buds have stopped growing after i found the nanners. I don't know if it's only because of the herms but everything else has been on point. Temps are 23 to 27°C during lights on, nutes are ok, very healthy looking plants. Etc...
The buds just stopped getting bigger at end of week 4...

I know some strains are more prone to hermies but almost all the others are OGs so they should be sensitive too, and only 1/13 did herm.

I have 2 tangies that smell incredibly amazing, and i don't even think i'll have 10 g out of them... So depressing

general picture

sourkush

Sorry to hear your woes mate, I've had problems with fem seeds in the past. I may be wrong here, but my understanding of intersex plants etc is that if the plant shows female and male traits, ie the balls and the 2 white pistals. Then the plant is intersex anyhow and the timer problem wouldn't of mattered. If the plant flowers normal then chucks out Nana's in the buds later on, then stress has usually caused this to happen.
Stick with regular seeds you'll have less chance of these things happening.
I'd see this one through but start cracking some better regular beans and genetics to go in when these are finished. I've grown over 100 different seed varieties and Bodhi seeds have some real nice genetics.
Stay green
Peace Namaste

Hey,

I know regular is better, but since now, fem has done me great, 1/16 to be herm so 15/16 to be full female was a great ratio.
I don't keep mothers for now, so i veg my plants to fill my space, and if i was doing the same thing with regs, i would have to take half of them from my space and the remaining plants would not fill out the space.
Next year i will probably go in austria to grab some clones. We don't have the chance to have clone only cuts available where i'm from. (you lucky british!!)

And i think S1 can be good too, OG18 is probably one of my favorite strains of all time and it's been an OG s1...

FireIn.TheSky

Stay green
Peace Namaste

Self pollination is what nature intended, maybe not as the first option of reproduction but as a last ditch effort to save itself.

The plants will develop male sex and pollinate themselves if flowered long enough or if they encounter rough environmental conditions that make conventional breeding not possible.

sourkush

I just don't understand why all the buds stopped getting bigger. Can it be only due to the pollen? The timeline is corresponding but i've never experienced that before so i don't really get why

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You should finish the plants, as you normally would, then report back what your final yields are. If thats what's important to you.

Then when done, collect the seed resulting from this incident & save each plants in a separate container. You can then test those seeds to see if they're going to toss nanners as well. Most should grow just fine but you'll have to be more diligent about checking plants for nanners from here forward. Even w purchased seed.

sourkush

You should finish the plants, as you normally would, then report back what your final yields are. If thats what's important to you.

Then when done, collect the seed resulting from this incident & save each plants in a separate container. You can then test those seeds to see if they're going to toss nanners as well. Most should grow just fine but you'll have to be more diligent about checking plants for nanners from here forward. Even w purchased seed.

Yes i will finish them, yield is definitely not too important for me, i grow full organic, only taste is important. But i won't grow again before summer, so my next run will be in september so i won't have another harvest before end of 2016 and that's my smoke, it's not fro selling. So for 3/4 monthes i will have to buy the very shitty and expensive weed they sell in my country.
I will never grow this kind of seeds if i get some, hermies polinating unselected females, nothing good can come from that.
Next year i think i'll go to Flowery field in vienna to get clones

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just don't understand why all the buds stopped getting bigger. Can it be only due to the pollen? The timeline is corresponding but i've never experienced that before so i don't really get why
hey sourkush,,
just to let you know that i have 2 tangies in bloom at the moment and one of them is very,very, small,,,
gonna yield very little but is the most tangerine smelling of all the citrus strains i am running at present,,
be lucky if i take 7 gram off her but the aroma is so dense and lovely,,,,,
these 2 were freebie fem beans,,,,s2

sounds like bad seeds! you should not have to be more diligent checking for herms that's just bullshit LOL at that! those seeds are not the quality you want in your garden those plants were full blown herms actually environmental stress like your timer which did nothing to them BTW would have created "better" seeds LOL don't save them thats garbage they are of no value. The cookies are hermies look at DNA genetics they crossed THE cookies cuts from the cookies fam and made a ton of crosses all hermies thats why you don't see any cookies from DNA beware the cookies and the crumbs surrounding them! Good luck I'm sure you will have a great next grow

sourkush

hey sourkush,,
just to let you know that i have 2 tangies in bloom at the moment and one of them is very,very, small,,,
gonna yield very little but is the most tangerine smelling of all the citrus strains i am running at present,,
be lucky if i take 7 gram off her but the aroma is so dense and lovely,,,,,
these 2 were freebie fem beans,,,,s2

Oh yeah the smell is just amazing. Sorry to hear about it yielding small. Last time i grew 2, both were more than 40g in the same configuration (16plants/600w/4x4tent) (one was tasteless though, the other one was amazing)

It's the best smoke i've grown from about 60 seeds

sourkush

sounds like bad seeds! you should not have to be more diligent checking for herms that's just bullshit LOL at that! those seeds are not the quality you want in your garden those plants were full blown herms actually environmental stress like your timer which did nothing to them BTW would have created "better" seeds LOL don't save them thats garbage they are of no value. The cookies are hermies look at DNA genetics they crossed THE cookies cuts from the cookies fam and made a ton of crosses all hermies thats why you don't see any cookies from DNA beware the cookies and the crumbs surrounding them! Good luck I'm sure you will have a great next grow

Yeah i know it sucks, but i will for sure be more careful in the future.
I talked to don in january in dam, i asked about the cookies cross, he told me the cookie fam were just not organized so it shouldn't lead to something but they gave some pollen of the sunset sherbert to crockett to make his banana sherbert crosses...
But cookies really seem to be prone to herm when you hear the stories with BCBD and Cali Connection cookies...
Just wanted to give a try to the hype and i'm sure if you have a good cut it can be a great strain but i'll just have to be lucky one day to see how it tastes.
Even in grey area in dam they had "thin mint gsc" that was tasteless, but they didn't have good og either so... Cookies kush was tasteless too from barneys (@18€/g lol)

The Revolution

Veteran
Idk if its been said yet but you should expect berms when growing genetics from seeds made from herms. This is why I try to stick regular seeds

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
I thought I'd chime in here quickly.

I grew entire packs of Chem D x Cookies and OG s1 x Cookies as testers. I noticed a few balls on lower shaded nodes, and I saw a bit of pollen, but chose to leave them as I was feeling lazy.

Not a single seed was found in any of the buds and I smoked it all.

If all your other plants have been pollinated that is very unlucky, there lust have been a lot of pollen. Can you see the seeds forming in the calyxes? They are normally pretty obvious after a week or two as the calyxes begin to bulge and become seed shaped.

Peace

sourkush

I thought I'd chime in here quickly.

I grew entire packs of Chem D x Cookies and OG s1 x Cookies as testers. I noticed a few balls on lower shaded nodes, and I saw a bit of pollen, but chose to leave them as I was feeling lazy.

Not a single seed was found in any of the buds and I smoked it all.

If all your other plants have been pollinated that is very unlucky, there lust have been a lot of pollen. Can you see the seeds forming in the calyxes? They are normally pretty obvious after a week or two as the calyxes begin to bulge and become seed shaped.

Peace

Hi,

Yeah i know it wasn't a lot of pollen, and i don't see seeds growing for now...
I just don't know what happened with all the plants. Everything was going just fine, buds were starting to grow nicely, and then i found the hermies, took them out, and everything stopped getting bigger at the same time. I have no idea what happened... It could be unrelated with the hermies but everything else is ok so i don't know. Even when you see the pictures of my grow it doesn't seem to be unhealthy so i'm clueless...

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
I wish you luck man, hopefully they're all just slow developers and you don't have a fully seeded crop. Have any of the pistils on the remaining plants died back and turned red/orange/brown? That's usually the first signs of pollination.

I hope you have a successful harvest, I know it sucks when a grow goes bad for no apparent reason.

Peace