What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NoobwannaB's Fabric Pot SIP method (works with hard pots too)

2 Legal Co

Veteran
cannawhatsis;

If wicking works as well on the 'big pots' as it does on the beer cups, You'll not be needing them. If you were going to be absent for a while...... nah, never mind. Just put'em in so they are available if needed later, but I'm guessing you won't.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Again, for the 'bottle feeders', that too can be done outside the tray, much as an organic grower would use teas and drenches. Just remove the pot from the perlite (it just sits on top afterall) and add whatever (including water periodically to 'flush') and then put it back on the perlite after it's drained to maintain the water level.

On of the guys trying this at the other place travels a lot, and has used a 5 gal bucket as a reservoir for the perlite, and sits his pot on top of the bucket. Again, I like to advise at least an inch of space between the water level and the bottom of the pot, but that's a LOT of water, and the perlite HOLDS a lot of water as well. He's been gone 7-10 days and returned to find no standing water, and nearly dry perlite but the soil is still nice and moist.

I'm retired too and add water daily just because I can, and enjoy it as well, but depending on the size of your res you can go a loooong time without adding water. I started using a seedtray, then moved up to a dishpan and cat litter trays (big ones). I'm running 5 strains this grow and wanted to use a hard shell kiddie pool this grow but when I mentioned it my better half gave me a bit of a look, so I bought a 67 gal underbed tote instead. It easily holds 3-7gal smarties, and I'll use the cat pans for the remainder. You can really use anything that holds water and the amount of perlite and water you want. I plan to build a wooden frame this summer with plywood bottom and put casters on it, then line with a pond liner that's still sitting in the box from a decade ago lol! Never got around to expanding my watergarden, then my back gave out, so it'll be nice to get SOME use out of it.

Pretty sure I mentioned it, but you can also use lava rock, or hydroton. I've not used it myself, but a lot have with great success. I have no issues with using perlite, but a lot of folks seem to, so there's that. And to answer your question, I've personally used anywhere between 2" and 6" of perlite...but it absorbs water so you can go as deep as you like!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thx for the info on the depth of perlite.

I've been using 11''x 16" Rubbermaids as catch pans ( in case of blumat run aways). They fit very nicely under my 2' x 4' T5 fixture. I run scrog, with a wire fencing as a 'flattop' device. They are clear, so I'll be able to see the water level.

Guess I'll go get some Perlite, after the snow melts a bit tomorrow. lol

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I've got plenty of pearlite. Will be taking clones today, as well as starting seeds for the summer vegi garden. I suppose I'll take a whack at this.

Seems to require a little more maintenance than the blumats (which are so far the best thing I"ve done for my room) but it can't hurt to try.

noobwannaB

Excellent...you're gonna love it, honestly. Lemme know what you think when the explosion starts will ya?

I just moved my seedlings (couple of weeks old) out of the solos in seed trays into the BIG rez (67 quart under bed tote with wheels, woohoo!!) Got all 5 of my 1 gals in it with room to spare for my lavender, lavender seeds and cup o' pennyroyal. It easily fits the 3 -7 gal pots I have planned for it, and I'll throw the other 2 in single pans on the side. I'll post a pic later when I get a minute.

I just potted them up from solos into the 1 gal smarties, and I've got healthy white roots poking out of them already...after a week. Thanks again for your input, and for giving me a bit of traffic anyway, and good luck!!

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I've got plenty of pearlite. Will be taking clones today, as well as starting seeds for the summer vegi garden. I suppose I'll take a whack at this.

Seems to require a little more maintenance than the blumats (which are so far the best thing I"ve done for my room) but it can't hurt to try.

Since you've got the blumats figured out. Why don't you run both systems? I'd sure like to know how much water the mats put out, while the wicking system is working. I'm guessing It'll be pretty much inactive.

Give us a report for sure.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Since you've got the blumats figured out. Why don't you run both systems? I'd sure like to know how much water the mats put out, while the wicking system is working. I'm guessing It'll be pretty much inactive.

Give us a report for sure.

Well. my initial thought is to do a 1 gallon smartie on the pearlite wick,.... tho a possible plant in a larger smart pot (5 gallon being the smallest) is possible. I'd imagine this will work fine with the smaller pots,..... tho a 15 gallon? I know that the standard blumat won't cut it on that pot, so I'm thinking of 2 maxi's and distributors,.... or possibly blumats for the top and wick from the bottom?

Not a lot of room for side by sides with cannabis (need to stay under 12 plant limit) And the veggies will only get started in my room, then moved outside for summer.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
. or possibly blumats for the top and wick from the bottom?

That what I was hoping for..... since you've got blumats figured out already, it should (hopefully), be a piece of cake.

I'm thinking that once the wicking is up to par, the blumat res. won't go down much, if any. But I'm far from the expert on either of these systems.

Why not combine this with the mechanism used in automatic water bowls for pets.

For this you would need for example two pop bottles of the same size.

Bury the larger of the bottles as described, with the bottom cut off. Now you want to cut of the top of the bottle, this bottle will be the outer cylinder of the feeder. Make sure there is no perlite inside this bottle. When you're done.

Take the other bottle and cut a hole in it's side, as close to the bottom as possible. The size of this hole determines the level of water in the tray, the water level will always be at the top of the hole when this bottle is placed within the other bottle.

When the bottle is getting empty, just pull it out - refill through its side - slide it back in.

It may not give a very large reservoir but you could add more of these bottle feeders if you have the room for it.

Hope that helped!

noobwannaB

Hey noob
What are the dimensions of that 67 quart monster?

Quick pic..(my busiest time of day) will try and do more later

16597051f3ea6ad09b21192771981a14_zps8a4f63cd.jpg

e83c9a554a4ecee7112ed8ffa4918a2c_zpse3730916.jpg

noobwannaB

will this work with co co coir swamp man

You mean instead of soil?? Absolutely.

I have gone as high as a 7 gal and it wicked perfectly...can't speak personally for larger pots, but the principal is the same...don't know why it wouldn't work with a 15 gal.

As for the upside down water bottle...YOU try it lol!! I've tried it with my dog's water bowls and always got more on the floor than in the dish....but that's how I roll ;)

You mean instead of soil?? Absolutely.

I have gone as high as a 7 gal and it wicked perfectly...can't speak personally for larger pots, but the principal is the same...don't know why it wouldn't work with a 15 gal.

As for the upside down water bottle...YOU try it lol!! I've tried it with my dog's water bowls and always got more on the floor than in the dish....but that's how I roll ;)

Actually just put the thumb over the hole when you flip it down and you'd be alright.

You mentioned it also works with hydroton. Have you tried it, how's the performance?

Im asking because I don't have perlite but hydroton (LECA, hydroton is TM right?) I can buy at my local grocery store like twenneth steps away. Thrilled to test it out with felt pots since I'm looking to buy some pots anyway.

I could fill the entire floor of my grow room, that'd be perfect!

noobwannaB

Actually just put the thumb over the hole when you flip it down and you'd be alright.

You mentioned it also works with hydroton. Have you tried it, how's the performance?

Im asking because I don't have perlite but hydroton (LECA, hydroton is TM right?) I can buy at my local grocery store like twenneth steps away. Thrilled to test it out with felt pots since I'm looking to buy some pots anyway.

I could fill the entire floor of my grow room, that'd be perfect!

I personally have not used hydroton, but a lot of folks at the other place have....lava rock too. I was going to buy a bag just to test it out, but luckily some guinea pi....uhhh...friends came along that already had it and they report excellent results.
Everything from fine to coarse perlite, and small lavarock to the large chunks apparently work. HARD POTS need finer material, but with the felt pots it doesn't seem to matter.

I always suggest you keep a close watch for the first couple of days... to me it's common sense, but you know...