What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to transplant?

bongoman

Hi there

I have some 3 week old seedlings in 100mm pots of straight coco. They seem to be doing well and am noticing roots just starting to show through the bottom of the pots.

Is this a signal to transplant? Or can they sit in these 100mm pots for a little while longer?

Last edited:

jocat

thats a good question bongoman, i was just reading some other posts related to this and i lean towards the guideline of the watering needs of the plants, when i need to water them everyday, and by then roots have been showing for awhile, i transplant to a bigger pot, i go from rooted cut or seedling in a party cup to a one gallon pot to a 5 or 10 gallon. in coco some strains grow so fast it's good to go from cup to big pot. jc

AbaZabba

Hi there

I have some 3 week old seedlings in 100mm pots of straight coco. They seem to be doing well and am noticing roots just starting to show through the bottom of the pots.

Is this a signal to transplant? Or can they sit in these 100mm pots for a little while longer?

That's really a judgment call, coco is known for it ability to grow large plants in a small container.

As a general rule of thumb, I generally allow the plants to get a maximum of 4 times the height of the container, and by that time the roots are rapping around the bottom of the container well.

If you continue to see vertical growth everything is fine, coco is an amazingly forgiving medium.

bongoman

Thanks jocat & AbaZabba

These babies are outdoors and it's humid here so they aren't tending to need much watering. Only every 5 days or so at this stage. Have progressed from 1ml/litre to 1.5ml/litre to 2ml/litre of Canna A & B and will stay at 2ml/litre for the next couple of weeks I think.

Just had another look and they are all showing an air root or two out the bottom...

Last edited:
S

stoned teacher

From the sounds of it, a few roots out the bottom, and being cool w/ a watering every 5 days....I'd give it a bit more time....

Long before transplant time, I have a full ring of roots wrapped around the bottom of my coco cup....to the point where i can pull the rootball out as one clump....usually at that point theres still plenty of room for roots to fill above the bottom and through the medium.....

A few weeks later, I pretty much have to water once a day or you can tell leaves are not happy...Then I transplant

@45 days in a 32 oz yogurt cup :joint:

lloydberryat45.jpg