What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

Octagoner

Try this:

Get a hold of 1000-2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper. Gently ABRASE the stem prior to cutting the 45. If you are leaving plant material on the sandpaper you are using too much pressure. I hold the stem down and pull and twist, seal with a tiny dab of rooting gel and make a nother hole off to the side of the big hole in the Rapid Rooter.

As far as the Bloom Nitrogen ratio, I have to agree w/ J.J.

When I clone into rockwool or do naked cloning (EZ Cloner) I use 1/4 strenth Bloom pH corrected to 6.3 - 6.5.

Mothers get Bloom and then just water 1 week prior to cloning.

Was working on a fogger cloner which did not have spectacular results, but using the sandpaper to abrase the plants cutical, had root and node like appendages up the plant where it had been abrased. Problem with fogger was it took too long to wean the plants off the humidity.

Respect

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I checked the clones and half have now rooted. Here are a couple pics. The one coverd in roots is ready to be transplanted as she is hungry and wants to eat. I will do this sometime this afternoon and post some pics on how I do it for the new people.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When the clones are showing a dozen or so roots, it is time to transplant them into soil. The first thing I do is fill a 16 ounce cup, and form the shape of the Rapid Rooter in the soil. I then place the Rooter into the soil and fill in around it. I will not water these for 24 to 36 hrs. I want the roots to "reach", while they look for water. This will give me a stable root growth, and a healthy plant. When I water I will give them a full dose of vegging ferts as the mothers were getting this before the cloning.

The reason I use clear cups is to be able to watch the root growth, without having to remove the plant from the cup. I then just place the clear cup into a colored cup to keep the light off the roots.

Tunefull

Lol i love that idea of useing a clear cup,And just houseing it in a dark cup....

In your last Pic's JJS
I am going to show my ignorance here
But why are they only 3 blades(well nearly 5 blades)....

Is it just that the plant the cuttings are from where cuttings themselves months back?(i get revert myself at times)

Is there any issue against using these lesser bladed leaves for your cuttings?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good question Tune, lol. All of the clones are seedplants except the sour bubble and the boggle, which were gifts.

I would have to answer that it is because they are lower cuttings. The only advantage would be using an entire leaf, without having to trim it down.

Like that dual cup idea huh? I got sick of dumping plants out to check the roots and for a couple extra bucks it does the trick.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I checked the cuttings and they have now all rooted. They were in flower for 2 weeks before taking the cuttings and all have rooted within 10 days. I would call this faster then I expected as they had been put to flower prior. I have to go and get some more clear cups and get these transplanted.

dekab247

Hey JJ,

I have definatly had my ups 'n' down with growing. Yet using methods such as you have here. I have had excellent success with cloning. I have lost two clones in eleven years. Now that doesn't mean I have had success like that in all areas of growing. Just hit it on the mark with cloning.

To all who are reading this. JJ has some damn fine info. Read between the lines about them stubborn plants. The ones that can take longer than two weeks to root. Remember germinatin seeds some will also take longer. Good luck, and growing to all...peace...

issack

Veteran
Nice read. I used the Ez clone and just plain tap water. and i find the bigger healthier cuttings work best. 13 days and full roots.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dekab, thx for the compliment. Good to see you have it down.

Issack, I almost got one of them, but new lights always seem to take my money, lol. I have a friend with one and he lets the water get to warm and the roots turn to mush.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
The 60 site EZ Clone

The 60 site EZ Clone

JJScorpio said:
Dekab, thx for the compliment. Good to see you have it down.

Issack, I almost got one of them, but new lights always seem to take my money, lol. I have a friend with one and he lets the water get to warm and the roots turn to mush.

The 60 site EZ Clone uses the same Water Pump as the 120 site unit. It makes the rez over heat! A lot.
Lots of people I know had this problem.
I'd get the 120 site unit instead. Or make your own.
More fun and far cheaper.

Nice thread.

Sin

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good advice Sinfuldreams, and thx for the compliment.

Here is a couple pictures of all 18 clones after being transplanted and hardened off under 75 watts of floros. They are all doing good now and will be the next harvest, except for a couple which will be kept to take clones off for this years outdoor grow.

dekab247

As I said before. I have had awesome success with cloning. That is one area were I have shined. yet I have lacked in the other areas badly at times. A few years ago. i got it together, and started to "read between the lines" of what others posted, and bought a good book. Read it cover to cover going on a dozen times. I still keep it around for the reference. If it wasn't for that booth...The Bible, and good posts by a solid memebr such as JJ. I would have been lost. Thanks JJ, and all who bother to take the time..peace...

Kush King

JJScorpio said:
Thx for the addition Core. I am glad you got it mastered.

My biggest thing I would like to get through to people is don't think you have failed because you don't have roots within a week or so. This is not the norm. I got so frustrated when I first started because of this. It took me a long time to realize this. So what if it takes you 2 to 3 weeks, as long as they root.

Just be consistent with what has been said and let them root at their own pace. This will get you some confidence in knowing you can do it. That is 90 percent of the battle. Also, dont be afraid to cut some clones and practice, even if you dont need them. Each time you get them to root will give you more confidence. It took me years to understand that you wont get all of them to root everytime and be happy when you hit 50 percent. Work your way up from there. Each batch you will learn a little more about the plants you are working with, and soon you will be comfortable with what you are doing.

And when our plants are rooting at week one or starting to and they stat going yellowy on thetops what do you do :O?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kush King said:
And when our plants are rooting at week one or starting to and they stat going yellowy on thetops what do you do :O?

I put them into cups of soil with 30 percent perlite and 2 tbs of pulverized dolomite lime per gallon. If the mothers were getting a heavy feeding of ferts, wait 24 hrs and water them with vegging ferts.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
What chain store sells rapid rooters? I have seen some burpee ones but they come in little pucks is this similar stuff? How does using peat pots work with cloning?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are sold by General Hydroponics and I get mine at a nearby hydroshop. You can find them online at a lot of sites also. If you can't find them, let me know.

With peat pots you are going to have to pick a medium for the cuttings to root in.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
As in dirt? I dont intend to ever grow hydro lol. So peat pots will work? I can get those super cheepo.

Edit: are the rapid rooters little quarter sized thick pucks to begin with? Like I asid a local store sells burpee ones. I'm thinking of taking a few clones in case I get a feemale out of the two seeds I started for fun. Could be good for summer! They have a little bit to go before I will clone again though.

Last edited:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are thinking about Peat Pellets. They swell up when you soak them in water. If you go to www.Generalhydroponics.com they have a description of the rapid rooters. You can clone in a peatpot and some medium with a dome though. I just get more success with the rooters.