What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloudy oil

bhooil

Hey I've been having a problem with my oil coming out very cloudy. I'm extracting with pure butane chilled to -70 degrees in a column that is jacketed in dry ice. The temperature during extraction never gets above -30 but the oil is still coming out cloudy.

I threw a full jar of the oil in my freezer and added another 1/2 liter of butane and the cloudiness went away and a white layer settled to the bottom of my jar. Could the cloudiness be waxes? Or water? I was also thinking it's possibly something on the material that is getting through the 10 micron plate at the bottom of my column. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of the oil 5 minutes after pour off and a photo of the separated cloudiness in the freezer.

Attachments

• IMG-4953.jpg
    IMG-4953.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-4954.jpg
    IMG-4954.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 18

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Alcohol (terpenes) and water usually turn cloudy. Maybe condensation getting in somehow? Does the white layer disappear after you raise temperature?

WishDoctor

I see crystals crashing out of the oil.
it could be water if in the from of droplets or what another suspicion is, ie...lipids.

Do you have a cheap usb scope?
are they clear rectangular crystals or droplets?
I get the same reaction with a few strains.
What I see is a grainy texture which looks like rectangular clear crystals slanted facets.
THCA? maybe? no?
looks like it to me, don't know, but they go away with heat when decar'b
they don't separate or dissolve with water.

I've puffed the oil with it and without, can't tell if there is a head change.
I've made coonut oil pills and in 2 days they drop out of the oil in massive amounts
after a few weeks I filtered it with my vac funnel, recovered a mass of oily crystals that dissolve when touched.

still puzzled, have about 5grams left to play with.

cbd?

tests are way to expense

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey I've been having a problem with my oil coming out very cloudy. I'm extracting with pure butane chilled to -70 degrees in a column that is jacketed in dry ice. The temperature during extraction never gets above -30 but the oil is still coming out cloudy.

I threw a full jar of the oil in my freezer and added another 1/2 liter of butane and the cloudiness went away and a white layer settled to the bottom of my jar. Could the cloudiness be waxes? Or water? I was also thinking it's possibly something on the material that is getting through the 10 micron plate at the bottom of my column. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of the oil 5 minutes after pour off and a photo of the separated cloudiness in the freezer.

Sounds and looks like you put a jar containing butane in a kitchen freezer, this is crazy ass dangerous, I've never heard of anyone suggesting it. And why, when you have dry ice you could have used in an ice chest for a butane winterization.

It doesn't take much moisture to cause cloudiness.