What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider miles in week 4 of flower in 9 week strain

PDX Dopesmoker

Im going to experiment with this one day - stripping a living flowering plant of its resin with a quick alcohol dip followed by water dip, 3 seconds total for both dips. I want to see if-

1.the plant dies or hermis
2.howmuch resin i get off
3.if the plant replaces the resin
4.if this delays the onset of senescence

The reason Im interested is because I read that the only resin that has THC in it is the newest that has accumulated in the last few days. by this theory, the plant could be stripped with alcohol a week before harvest and a week later it would have as much THC bearing resin as it ever did. So the buds are just as good AND you have a load of extract that would have degraded had it been left on the plant under the lights another week.

Thats a neat idea, but I doubt some of whats said about THC production because it wouldn't explain the appearance of amber trichs laden with decarbed THC only later in the flowering cycle.

Spaventa

Veteran
Spaventa, where did you read this?

I cant remember it was ages ago. Its may well be incorrect or I misread it but I will still experiment with the idea, when Im really bored and have nothing better i should be doing that is :biggrin:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Oh and I think maybe he (or she) read about synthesis in the trichome.

Once the cuticle is gone the stipe cells would just ooze, I would imagine anyway.

Spaventa

Veteran
maybe he (or she)

This is why we have names mr.mustard, saves the bother of troublesome pronouns ;)

Guys, I have to admit that I came up with the idea while in an induced coma. I worked on more of the details while on very strong Antipsychotic drugs to make the people in my mind go away but they were the ones who came up with it in the first place so I have to give them some credit.

therevverend

Veteran
This is too late to help the original poster but I'll write it anyway. I'd never spray a plant 4 weeks into flower with a pesticide, 'safe' or not. Even organic stuff is going to leave residue and affect the taste. And could possibly have bad effects when burnt and inhaled.
Water is the best solution. If you carry the plants to a bathtub and hose down every leaf three times a day for a week or two. You'll save the plants, destroy enough mites for the plants to finish flowering.
This is the simplest solution for any infestation at any point in a plant's life. If you clean your plants regularly you'll make it very difficult for any pest.

Spaventa

Veteran
This is too late to help the original poster but I'll write it anyway. I'd never spray a plant 4 weeks into flower with a pesticide, 'safe' or not. Even organic stuff is going to leave residue and affect the taste. And could possibly have bad effects when burnt and inhaled.
Water is the best solution. If you carry the plants to a bathtub and hose down every leaf three times a day for a week or two. You'll save the plants, destroy enough mites for the plants to finish flowering.
This is the simplest solution for any infestation at any point in a plant's life. If you clean your plants regularly you'll make it very difficult for any pest.

I agree.

I guess I devalued my endorsement with my previous post :chin:

PDX Dopesmoker

This is why we have names mr.mustard, saves the bother of troublesome pronouns ;)

Guys, I have to admit that I came up with the idea while in an induced coma. I worked on more of the details while on very strong Antipsychotic drugs to make the people in my mind go away but they were the ones who came up with it in the first place so I have to give them some credit.

Yeah I'd give them credit too, they sound like creative thinkers who might be on to something. Maybe rinsing the plants in ice water to do a not solvent extraction could do the trick if it turns out that the solvent rinse hurts them too much.

Might be the cleanest solution but definitely not the simplest. And if your don't get the fuckers in the room they'll just look at that clean plant and be like damn no competition let's move in and double down on reproducing.

Im going to experiment with this one day - stripping a living flowering plant of its resin with a quick alcohol dip followed by water dip, 3 seconds total for both dips. I want to see if-

1.the plant dies or hermis
2.howmuch resin i get off
3.if the plant replaces the resin
4.if this delays the onset of senescence

The reason Im interested is because I read that the only resin that has THC in it is the newest that has accumulated in the last few days. by this theory, the plant could be stripped with alcohol a week before harvest and a week later it would have as much THC bearing resin as it ever did. So the buds are just as good AND you have a load of extract that would have degraded had it been left on the plant under the lights another week.
I've used isopropyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol on spider mite ridden plants 1 to 2 weeks before harvest. Alcohol may have stripped a little of the resin glands off. Not enough to extract. No color change in liquid, etc. Nothing to indicate that it would have been chemically changed by the contact. Still tested 16 to 22% THC.

Spaventa

Veteran
I've used isopropyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol on spider mite ridden plants 1 to 2 weeks before harvest. Alcohol may have stripped a little of the resin glands off. Not enough to extract. No color change in liquid, etc. Nothing to indicate that it would have been chemically changed by the contact. Still tested 16 to 22% THC.

Yes I'm quite convinced of the efficacy of alcohol as a pest control.
Yey we found another to cause millions of deaths with alcohol :)

Spaventa

Veteran
I'm not convinced if it's efficacy.

Two other members both say it works and you just said it doesn't have any deleterious effect on the resin/cannabinoids. What are your specific doubts about it? Id hate to waste good alcohol I could be using for extracting.

therevverend

Veteran
Rubbing alcohol is a good idea it would work fine. I would only use it on the leaves, not the caylxes. Wouldn't want to dip the entire plant in the solution. The mites tend to 'work their way in' from the older shade leaves to the newer leaves to the bud sites.
If you took a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol and cleaned of the individual mites it would work fine. I use rubbing alcohol after a heavy trimming session, one of the few things to remove the resin from super sticky hands. So I'd avoid the frosty colas. The mites tend to avoid the frosty colas as well unless the infestation has progressed to terminal. If you've got mites that bad you lose your green thumb license.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Rubbing alcohol is a good idea it would work fine. I would only use it on the leaves, not the caylxes. Wouldn't want to dip the entire plant in the solution. The mites tend to 'work their way in' from the older shade leaves to the newer leaves to the bud sites.
If you took a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol and cleaned of the individual mites it would work fine. I use rubbing alcohol after a heavy trimming session, one of the few things to remove the resin from super sticky hands. So I'd avoid the frosty colas. The mites tend to avoid the frosty colas as well unless the infestation has progressed to terminal. If you've got mites that bad you lose your green thumb license.

Unless you are using a systemic solution, you must have 100% coverage with foliar. A couple missed bugs turns into an infestation quickly. So, it goes back to the solvent on the flowers. I think alcohol is better for veg and early flip only.

cflauto

Try the shield diffuser. Its a peppermint(and others) liquid you put in a diffuser so it gets to every mm of the plant. it has worked wonders for me in the past. Give it a google. Its the only thing that has worked for me. I believe its pesticide free.

This is what we did. The problem is that when you're going leaf to leaf to bud to plant individually, you basically create a small pocket of fresh plant habitat for mites to breed into and become super happy. Unless you have 1 plant, by the time you're done, the mites from the last plant have gotten to where you started. Also it doesn't address any mites in your equipment, grow media, etc.

Sure if you take a spider mite, put it in a petri dish, and drop some drops of alcohol on it, yes it will die. But a population of spider mites is literally a different animal.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Look at the Mite's reproductive rate vs room temp.

Mites don't like the cold, cool things down and it slows down the cycle and can let you get a handle on things.

1 mite = 400 mites every 3 days
VS
1 mite = 400 mites every 20 days.....