What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in flower

DoDad

I have a plant in 12/12 not an auto. It's been in flower about 3 weeks.

I want to take some clones. Can I take the clones then put the clones under 18/6 light to send them back into vegetative state even though they have some small buds on them?

Ingski

I believe some growers intentionally do this and it can lead to some very desired results if you can pull it off. From what I understand it is a lot harder to clone a plant in flower, but if you succeed the clones tend to be monsters and get very bushy when they are back in veg. I would take a lot of clones anticipating that most will die. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Scrappy-doo

I do it all the time. Plant could take a little longer to root and will have to reveg once it does root which will take some extra time, but aside from that it's fine.

DoDad

Ok, I'm trying it. I used a mix of 25% vermiculite/75% perlite with a seedling tray with 1/4" of water. The perlite is supposed to wick up enough moisture. No rooting gel.

Attachments

• may24.jpg
    may24.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 19

DoDad

youll be fine

I have them now with 3 x 23w 5000k CFL's down within an inch or so from the tops. That's probably too much, maybe.

I have been trying to read up on this but I keep finding conflicting reports.

Some say too much light isn't good because the plant wants to grow leaves and can't uptake nutrients because it has no roots. This causes leaves to yellow and die.

Some say, the more light you give it, the more energy it wastes trying to grow leaves rather than roots.

Some people clone in the dark, other people just sit them in indirect light like a window sill. They say plants don't need direct light to grow roots.

But here we are reveging, telling the plant to revert back to the vegetative state AND grow roots at the same time. I'm not sure how much light is enough or too much.

I can give it up to 3 x 23w in my current setup, but the question remains is that too much?

Budley Doright

Veteran
Myself..... If I find a plant that I really like....and didnt take clones......

I prefer to reveg the plant.....

I harvest the plant a bit early......

leave a bunch of large leaves on the plant for it to feed from.....

then reveg.......

I find taking cuts this way is a bit too problematic for me.....

Certainly another option is to take clones.....if they dont work.....

then reveg........

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ok, I'm trying it. I used a mix of 25% vermiculite/75% perlite with a seedling tray with 1/4" of water. The perlite is supposed to wick up enough moisture. No rooting gel.

Its actually the vermiculite that does the wicking.....

see my signature...... vermiculite.....cloner..... = wicking cloner....

I would tend to use mostly vermiculite...and rooting gel......

Save the naked treatment until you have the genetics captured.....use the cloning gel.....

I also prefer....20-4...... I find that using 24-0 some plants seem to be confused by 24-0 and produce too many pistils.....

I might give them a week at 24-0 to reset the plant....then use 20-4 to establish a day night cycle....

Last edited:

DoDad

Its actually the vermiculite that does the wicking.....

see my signature...... vermiculite.....cloner..... = wicking cloner....

I would tend to use mostly vermiculite...and rooting gel......

Save the naked treatment until you have the genetics captured.....use the cloning gel.....

I also prefer....20-4...... I find that using 24-0 some plants seem to be confused by 24-0 and produce too many pistils.....

I might give them a week at 24-0 to reset the plant....then use 20-4 to establish a day night cycle....

Last time I cloned I used rapid rooters. Had some success but had some failures too. I didn't use gel.

I only have room in my tent for 8 plants and always have some growing in there. Even if only a few of these reveged clones make it, that will be plenty.

As the mother is growing buds and has been in 12/12 for 3 weeks, if I wanted to take more clones from her, now is the time.

I guess it's a little late for cloning gel. Maybe next time.

Scrappy-doo

I use a single 17w cfl daylight spectrum a foot above for cloning. I have a friend who uses I think a 100w t5 about a foot above. We both have similar results in similar time frame... about 10 days give or take, in rockwool. I use clonex. Some people have had good results without a rooting hormone. I'm not one of them.

I also use a bubbler which gets roots in 7 days, with no hormone.

Perpetual Nooch

Yes, I've done it. Like Scrappy-doo said, it just takes longer. Just when you think you've waited long enough and they're not going to grow, wait another 2 or 3 weeks. ;)

HillBilly1

Veteran
I have taken cuts at 7 weeks off OD plants
From the innnnner inner lol takes time but when
you find a winner and don't want to lose it do what
Ya gotta do lol I start at 18-20 hrs any less and
It don't work out so well, 3ft stick of larf.

Good luck with it

DoDad

Thanks guys. I put one 23w 5000k cfl over them. I'll run 24/0 for at least the first week.

I have some time on these. I still have plants that haven't flowered yet in my tent and others that just started to bud. I already have more plants than I have room to grow.

This strain btw came from the free seeds I got from Herbies. It's the Afghani that Herbies gives away with any order. They are regular seeds but I got lucky and got a female. Herbies said it's virtually identical to this one. https://sensiseeds.com/en/cannabis-seeds/sensi-seeds/afghani-1

I found this link that is helpful on what I am doing, come to find out it's called Monster Cropping.

http://www.theweedblog.com/monster-cropping-marijuana-plants/

Last edited:

DoDad

It's been two days now since I cut these clones. All look fine. No wilting, no yellowing so far. They seem a bit more perky and standing straight up now, like they want to grow to reach the light.

I have been using just plain tap water, no PH, I don't even let the chlorine dissipate.

I'll keep reporting back on the progress good or bad.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It also depends on the variety. Long flowering NLD varieties (Sativa) are easy to make clones from a flowering plant. A more determinate WLD (Indica) can be a problem, try and you will see. The earlier and more determinate you just need to take more clones to try and root, take a bunch and you will get one to root. I have found a few very early varieties that do not want to reveg, they just keep on flowering even under 24 hours of light. Almost as an Auto does. Very few can't be reveged if you try, the earlier in flowering you take the clone the easier.
I have reveged Haze cuttings after flowering for 10 weeks with no problem....
They rooted fine and took off, did take twice as long as normal.
Handy if you grow from seed and do not want to clone until you see something special.
Or do it the safe way and clone everything from seed and toss the losers after flowering, you can maintain 10+ clones on a graft under veg lights until the crop is done. Then kill the grafts that you do not want, be sure you use diamond lock labels on the grafted branches to keep track of their ID's.
Where there is a will there is a way....
-SamS

DoDad

8 days later 24/0 of 1x 23w 5000k cfl and these look great. Not a single loss, not a single yellow leaf. Not even a tip. They look like they might be growing or at least they have all perked up and reaching for the light.

No Root gel
Just plain tap water 1/4" deep in bottom of dish
75% perlite/25% vermiculite in a seeding tray
Temps have been in the 80's.

They smell strong and I have no idea if they have reverted back to veg, but they are very much alive and I suspect are growing roots.

Gone Camping

Have a bud who asked me to keep a clone from a flowering plant incase he had issues in his new grow room. Took forever to reveg.. had it under 24/0 as i was also running auto's in cold weather.

I pulled off a hundred single bladed leaves, the plant topped itself. Sidebranching from every node made it really bushy. It's about 3 weeks into flower right now.. just took some time. Best of luck..