What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spinner Room "Slackers Lab-or-a-tory"

S

slackerbri

Hey everyone, I decided to start a thread about my Spinner room. I have a 42" Life-Light spinner with 2 400w Lumatek ballasts, one with a MH bulb and the other with HPS. The spinner spins at aprox 60rpm and if you are not careful it will fuck you up pretty good. I turn it off if I have to go anywhere near it and am working on a system where if you get too close it automatically shuts off, similar to what a garage door has to keep from closing down on someone or something.

I run all Canna Bio nutrients in a mixture of BioCanna Plus soil with Chunky Expanded perlite with a dash of Sunleaves Seabird guano(high N) using Botanical Brothers self watering buckets.

On the side of the main spinning area I have a clone-station along with power from 2 separate breakers, one dedicated to this room and another shared with the flower chamber the latter handling lesser power consuming devices like Co2 controller, camera, computer, fans, etc.

Then rather then hand watering or running a drip system I have set up an auto-feed system which is set on a timer but can be over-ridden manually as well as remotely. It has 2 ball valves setup in place so the moms and the babies can receive separate feeds by closing a valve or can be left open for feedings when everyone can take the same solution.

Rather then traditional timer setups I tied almost everything into a P/C so I can control and manually over-ride any switch or setting, including the spinner, a/c, each light(MH and HPS), pumps, exhaust, circulation fans, flouro's for the clones, Co2 and cameras. If from some reason the power fails or the computer dies everything is set to restart and all switches as well as timers can operate independent of the p/c, even the video feed.

I've also gone as far as to make all these functions available remotely via iphone, a live video feed is available as well.

During the setup of this room I took a bunch of cuttings and started them under a 400w MH for about 2-3 weeks, here they are getting their start.

And here are the babies under the spinner, they were recently transplanted from 8" pots to either 14" for moms or 12" for ones to go to flower, the moms are along the rear.

Anyone please feel free to chime in with critique or suggestions. I would appreciate any and all help.

Last edited:

smokey117

ver cool man!!! never seen a spinner light lol great job i love the automation of it. is it really compicated to get it all automated to a pc?? if its a bitch dont bother telling me how you did it

im def gonna pull up a chair for this one! :lurk:

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
is that the comp program that uses the telephone wires to attach to all the gauges??? i cant remeber name of program,,,

how you like it,,, how much??? does it record and monitor temp,,,rh,,,ph,,,ec,,ppm etc... ??

8bitNES

That looks like one expensive setup you have there. Is the fan still necessary since you have a light spinner? What is your fail-safe if your computer crashes?

Is this a new setup? I'm wondering what yields you're getting out of it.

8bit

G

Greyskull

Wow. Very nice work B. Impressive. Clean.

And you can not only get the weather report remotely, you can control the weather remotely! You are doing some good things dude!

S

slackerbri

Smokey,

It's not too much but its all relative on how complex you want the controls to get. A couple hundo in equipment will get you straight.

BHT,

It's a simple home control program, hit me up and I'll send you the info you need. As far as temp goes I just use a very visible thermometer but I have a temp sensor control monitor on order which ties in and can be used to control other items thru a relatively simple process, like if the room hits a certain temp the Co2 comes on and if it hits a higher temp it shuts off and the exhaust fan and or A/C comes on depending on the season, time of day or even outside temperature, all programable whichever fits your needs best. I dont have to worry about Ph and EC in this system as its all canna and all made to match together, I've been using this formula for a while now with great results although one of the things I have in the works is a regulation system for the nutrients in/for a hydro system.

8bit,

This setup is mainly for Veg so I havent got yield info on it yet. The spinner does work like a fan and the system is supposed to promote branching so it should increase yield but we wont know for a bit. As far as reliability goes I can yank the PC and it'll all work as if there are timers attached, the modules and outlets are "smart" and retain their timer info. The PC has to be involved for any over-rides. I've setup the system where I theoretically could leave it alone for up to 10-weeks.

GS,

Thanks for the positive vibes, hopefully this works out well.

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve coming up in the next few days/weeks, hopefully some will work out pretty cool and I wont set my house on fire.

Last edited:

EuroToker

very very nice, the software is called activehome?
Do you access it remotely using some kind of "pc anywhere" kinda program? or does the automation software itself handle things?
What kind of security is there when viewing the camera remotely. Any sort of encryption?

How long can this system run on its own.

Im trying to build something for my place, so it can go up to 2 weeks without me visiting, technically my place already does it, with the timers in place / drippers etc, But i dont trust not knowing whats going on.

Also in case of the computer crashing, is there any kind of automatic restart? so you dont have to drive all the way to the place?

B

Bigtimer7

Deff not a slacker lab! This is NICE.. Glad to see the spinnner comming back up i remember there was a lot of debate on it. Cant wait to see results should be great!!

I love the program, check the pm's

Mad rep+++

Quazi

This setup is cool as hell man.

I can't wait to see how it performs.

Pulling up a spinning chair for this one :lurk:

-Q :rasta:

I like these high tech set-ups....as long as you don't have a black thumb like our resident "high tech guru"....we might learn something.

That spinner kinda looks like a rigged ceiling fan...whats it consist of ? Seems like a better deal than a mover.

Good Luck. Hope you don't have any comp problems or anything like that.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
bro, you got it goin on! reminds me of days gone by!!! such a sweet setup!(hit subscribe button! done) so..i know you got j1 and gdp goin, what else you got in there?

S

slackerbri

JR,

The spinner is made by a company called life-light technology. I hope it don't break either but if they do I know help is not that far away for these things and there is always a plan B. One of the main reasons I put video in here was to monitor the spinner.

SR,

What's up man, glad you could stop by. Right now I have C-99, Schrom, Banana Kush, Blackerberry Kush, Black Russian, MTF, J1, GDP, FFA as moms and am about to put my new Grape Romulan in the mix. I am vegging out a group of C-99 now as well.

Here is a picture I took in my office today just to show off my ghetto roots....

Yep I made a dome out of a gatorade bottle, drilled a 1/4" hole in the top for some ventilation and to spray down into. So far so good, the cutting is rooted and firmly in place and she seems happy.

Last edited:

motofox16

wow.. 60 rpm. dam thats moving. so this system pretty much sets it up so you don't have to run ventilation through your lights because they can cool while they are spinning? seems like they should get pretty cool spinning at these rates.
Dam. I love the Iphone idea man. that is way fucking sick. you never know when your going to have an unexpected problem.
This whole system is LEGIT!
So do you have a way of measuring ppm for your CO2 plugged into your computer? Or do you just have it set on a timer through it?
I love the fact that you could take your computer out of it and it would still be working perfectly fine. Man nice work. mad props

S

slackerbri

hi

hi

Good afternoon everyone, I took a few pics today. Not a whole lot has changed although I did take a few cuttings for my next batch and some friends.

Moto,

I do not have a system of Co2 measurement yet, I just did the long math to figure out the rate of which the Co2 had to be released to make the room 1600ppm from an ambient 300ppm in 15 minutes. Currently the exhaust/intake system is set to flush the air for 15 minutes at the :45 of each hour with lights on and then release Co2 at :01 of the hour for 15 minutes. So Co2 rich air sits for the better part of the hour. The exhaust/intake system as well as circulatory fans are set to be on for all dark hours as well for humidity control purposes.

Here is a snapshot of the group under the spinner. More then half of these cuttings were originally started under a spinner so they are at home and the others are adapting nicely.

And here are some pics of the babies room.

I am going to try to post a small video on here or at least a link to one, this may take a few minutes though.

metamorf

Looking sweet. The auto-feed, is that the Tropf Blumat you're using or what is the stuff poking down into the pots?

S

slackerbri

MM,

They are the Botanical Brothers "self watering" buckets. They come in a bunch of sizes, shapes and are simple to use.

Hopefully this link works so it shows the video clip. this is what the light looks like when going.

Short video - View My Video

Enjoy

Last edited: