What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Today I'm bottling a couple variations (yeast-wise) of a stout today whilst sipping on E.H. Taylor small batch bourbon and Alpha Ambush IPA by Fat Heads. Four cases of beer should take at least three beers to bottle :D

But I can't be too hung over tomorrow. I'm brewing an IPA in the morning. I made sure that I got a bottle of Blanton's just in case the going gets rough. There's a pledging padawan that would like a rundown top to bottom and I figured I could burn breath until I'm blue in the face but I invited him over to take notes while I stumbled through my typical brew day.... come to think of it I should probably make some edibles. For anybody for any possible contingency.

moose eater

Well, @buzzmobile , they're holding a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12-year Single Malt in town for us.

My wife figured that if I got a new snowmobile at an ungodly price (at her direction, I might add), that she was entitled to an $80 bottle of scotch.

Difficult to argue with that, even if I'd wanted to.

I'll give a report after a trip to town, after I snowblow the driveway..... again; the "less than 1/2-inch accumulation" NOAA predicted 2 days ago, turned into between 5" and 6" of wet heavy shit on the ground.

If they went on the carnie circuit as fortune tellers, they'd be fired, beaten and broke.

Last edited:

moose eater

It's $105 plus tax here.

Dayum.

Too bad I think Scotch is wasted on me.
I found it online at some of the mail-order liquor outlets for as little as $50 to $55. But that would require a true ground type of shipping, and almost all 'ground' shipping to Alaska goes by truck to the West Coast, where it's put on an aircraft, then flown into Anchorage (as a rule), then shipped by truck to where ever it's going.

So our 'ground' shipping to Alaska isn't the same as the Lower-48 States, and once it involves an aircraft, it'd need a hazmat slip to accompany it (somewhat serious money), and even then they likely wouldn't ship it... just as a matter of shippers' pollicy.

And this discussion has already been had with the various 3rd-party shippers and Post Office over the years, where shipping my PH reagent (alcohol-based) has been an ongoing pain in the ass; "Just ignore the fact that the many thousands of commercial passenger aircraft flying overhead each and every day are loaded with hundreds (each) of those mini bottles of all sorts of liquor. Apprently those aren't the same risk factor as a larger bottle?"

Never argue logic of policy with people answering phones for their paycheck. It just gets all parties involved frustrated, and almost 100% of the time, resolves nothing in a positive way..

Though I've had a third-party friend/acquaintance in a Lower-48 States ground-connected state, send me the PH reagent in a flat-rate box with padding. Low alcohol percentage.. and thus far no airccraft have dropped from the sky as a result.. Maybe I'm just lucky? :)

moose eater

Picked up a bottle in town today.

Unique flavor, imo. I'm accustomed to scotch that's silky smooth. This one has a very smokey/woody flavor. A slight (intentional?) sour or "twang" as my wife described it, in a positive way.

She said "Three thumbs up."

Thanks.

Not a run-of-the-mill scotch.

buzzmobile

Veteran
My wife figured that if I got a new snowmobile at an ungodly price (at her direction, I might add), that she was entitled to an $80 bottle of scotch.
That's not too far out of range because a bottle here goes for $69.

I hope she enjoys it. If she does not like it just send me the remainder and I will dispose of it humanely. That's just the kinda guy I yam.
;)

@mean mr.mustard , I'd do a hard NO on that price. When I first found it in an ABC in Virginia the price was just under $50.

enter sandman

I tried some of that not long before i quit caffeine. Went well with my sativa buzz
I found it while perusing amazon & thought it was funny...the name. It does have high amounts of caffeine but the taste is very lacking to me personally. It's kinda bland and will fool you because the taste will make you think it's very weak when it definitely is not. It will activate the Warp 10 Hyperdrive when combined with some good sativa!

Last edited:

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Good for you, Doober.

From the movie 'Regarding Henry', you need to "know when to say when."

All things in moderation. Including moderation.
Funny thing is when I was drinking I never drank beer. Now that I don't drink I LOVE non-alcoholic lager. Can taste the water and malt and hops (extract)

moose eater

Funny thing is when I was drinking I never drank beer. Now that I don't drink I LOVE non-alcoholic lager. Can taste the water and malt and hops (extract)
Every Friday our local liquor warehouse does a freebie of limited number, starting at 4:30 P.M.

Some weeks it's really good, and others it's a "why bother." Though I admit to sometimes aarranging a town run for errands, etc., to revolve around that freebie moment.

Yesterday they offered Guionnes Zero (I'd never heard of it) as the freebie.

I guess even Guinness is now into the non-alcoholic beer biz.

I didn't make it there in time.

Then there's my preference for low-glucose, high abv beers. And the 49th State Brewing Company (Healy, Alaska) Dry Stout with some Irish name on it, (all on sale lately for St. Patty's Day) they had for the freebie the other day is a 4.2% abv beer, so I skipped the freebie, as well as the reduced price 4-packs of the stuff at Costco.

I figure if I'm takig in a pro-cancer, higher glucose beer, it needs to have a respectable alcohol content.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Every Friday our local liquor warehouse does a freebie of limited number, starting at 4:30 P.M.

Some weeks it's really good, and others it's a "why bother." Though I admit to sometimes aarranging a town run for errands, etc., to revolve around that freebie moment.

Yesterday they offered Guionnes Zero (I'd never heard of it) as the freebie.

I guess even Guinness is now into the non-alcoholic beer biz.

I didn't make it there in time.

Then there's my preference for low-glucose, high abv beers. And the 49th State Brewing Company (Healy, Alaska) Dry Stout with some Irish name on it, (all on sale lately for St. Patty's Day) they had for the freebie the other day is a 4.2% abv beer, so I skipped the freebie, as well as the reduced price 4-packs of the stuff at Costco.

I figure if I'm takig in a pro-cancer, higher glucose beer, it needs to have a respectable alcohol content.
Yeah if you're gonna do it you gotta do it right. You didn't miss much with the Guinness 0.0 - it tastes like flat beer.

moose eater

Yeah if you're gonna do it you gotta do it right. You didn't miss much with the Guinness 0.0 - it tastes like flat beer.
I find similar complaint with their canned draught with the CO2 cartridge in it.

I drink (typically) their Extra Stout in a bottle; 5.6% abv, and only 15 grams of carbohydrate.

I used to occasionally drink their Guinness Export Extra Stout at 7% abv, in a 4-pack, but haven't seen it up here in a good while. It was very tasty, as well.

Last edited:

moose eater

1 jigger of silver tequila, <1 jigger of pomegranate juice, hefty squeeze of lime juice, hefty squeeze of lemon juice, about 1/4 can of citrus seltzer water of your choice, 3 decent sized ice cubes, and.... Mmmmm. A 7.5 grams of carbohydrate glass of fruity tequila goodness.

Now, off to play with 4-wheelers, log wagons, peavey picks, gasoline, oil, and chainsaws.

Gives a fellow that sense of living on the edge again when life has seriously slowed down due to aging.

Finding those places in life to feel like an irresponsible adolescent once more.

Someone's got to do it, right?

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Somehow, I turned some pork loin into the schnitzel in the background while drinking the wine in the foreground and smoking some pretty decent hash. Multitasking at its best!

IMG_20230603_191420004.jpg

moose eater

Somehow, I turned some pork loin into the schnitzel in the background while drinking the wine in the foreground and smoking some pretty decent hash. Multitasking at its best!

View attachment 18849679
I think under similar circumstances I once had shrimp etouffee morph into jambalaya. Still tasted quite excellent, and the munchies made it that much better.