What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

asperger's syndrome

TripleDraw27

Veteran
anyone have asperger's syndrome? one of my doctors thinks i have it but i havent been officially diagnosed with it yet mainly put it off because there is no treatment for it only therapy i think. but i also did some research online and meet all the criteria for it.

so does anyone smoke and have asperger's syndrome or know of someone that does.

So many syndromes, so many pills to choose from, so much money being made. Wow...I wonder how people from my generation and earlier even made it without all these Guadalajara Med Grads pushing syndromes and pills. Oh yea I remember. There use to be men, new culture is about unisex and prescriptions and labels for every little fucking thing under the sun.

The Bling

wow there are alot of us. very cool like I said before just evolution at work, stay safe, lots of loving and light in your lives remember to be mindful when you medicate and in between when you medicate too.

thefifth

although not officially diagnosed i'm starting to realize at around mid life that i have most likely been living with this syndrome my whole life... ocd and anxiety disorder are all i could describe it as till i read about Aspergers....

I was diagnosed when I was 25, the psychologist said it was asperger's at first, then went back on his word and called it "high functioning autism". Many years later I'm being treated for anxiety and have people around me saying I have OCD. Theres definately something or many things wrong with me, no one can seem to agree or understand.

S

SeaMaiden

Hello SeaMaiden. :)

In regards to my mom's decision when I was a kid, I understand why people would find that sad. But the truth is, my mom is a good person, and was always a great mom, she is just a bit of a young soul, and sometimes her fears got in the way. But she gave me and my siblings nothing but unconditional love, attention, and support. She always had the best of intentions and no one is perfect.

But that being said, I have to tell you, I am SOOOO glad she didn't actually have me diagnosed. I can say that now, as a grown man. I've seen what happens to children when they are prescribed all these psychotropic drugs, and amphetamines, and half the time they are diagnosed incorrectly so they end up taking drugs that won't help them anyway, that sort of thing.

The reason why I have associated Aspergers, Touerettes, ADHD, and autism is because when I became an adult and started looking into what was going on in my head, each one of those conditions had symptoms that matched up to what I had always dealt with! But the further I looked into it all, the more convinced I became that I simply have asp. Regarding Tourettes, it's actually a condition that I find myself understanding, or empathizing with. Like, I just understand it, the tics and so forth, and it seems easy to relate to people who have it, for some reason, so I've always intuited that there is an association there. Until you posted what you posted above, though, I've never actually encountered a real life example of the "closeness" of the 2 conditions... That actually confirms that my intuition on the matter has been correct! I really do believe there is some kind of relativity between all those aforementioned conditions.

I guess that's all for now. My wife just brought me home some more medicine, so is finally time to slow down again. I hate running out! That's why I have begun a project to make my setup perpetual, once and for all. Only 5 more weeks to go til first harvest of perpetuity!

I apologize, I did not mean to impugn your mother, I am positive she did the very best and what she felt was right. You are correct, the typical reaction is to medicate, and it can cause HELL. I won't get into that. The positive aspect was that we were better able to tailor education and such needs to each child.

I truly and deeply regret, however, not being aware of the possibilities of cannabis when my boys were young. I cannot tell you how I wish I'd had some idea. I would have opted for that before *any* of the other medications, in a fucking heartbeat. To think... well, now people are getting an idea, and thank goodness.

***EDIT*** Missed this post.

I was diagnosed when I was 25, the psychologist said it was asperger's at first, then went back on his word and called it "high functioning autism". Many years later I'm being treated for anxiety and have people around me saying I have OCD. Theres definately something or many things wrong with me, no one can seem to agree or understand.

It's common for there to be what are called co-morbidities, that is to say other conditions that tend to occur along with the main diagnosis. Did they do the brain tests on you, with the patterns, etc? That type of testing, the testing for autism, is far different from those used for determining OCD, or ADD/ADHD. In fact the guidelines for Dx are fairly stringent, comparatively speaking. What you describe is my son's main issue, along with not being able to eat without the appetite stimulation of cannabis.

What do you find does you better, as far as anxiety and the like? Combustive methods or consumption like eating?

Last edited:
Wow, I just self diagnosed.

Thanks HS. I've seriously been wondering all my life.

Is the "visualization" the same for the rest of you guys too? I don't/can't see pictures in my mind only words/concepts. It's simply dark "visually"

thefifth

***EDIT*** Missed this post.

It's common for there to be what are called co-morbidities, that is to say other conditions that tend to occur along with the main diagnosis. Did they do the brain tests on you, with the patterns, etc? That type of testing, the testing for autism, is far different from those used for determining OCD, or ADD/ADHD. In fact the guidelines for Dx are fairly stringent, comparatively speaking. What you describe is my son's main issue, along with not being able to eat without the appetite stimulation of cannabis.

What do you find does you better, as far as anxiety and the like? Combustive methods or consumption like eating?

I was seen by a supposed autism "expert" who after the course of several meetings reached the conclusion of his diagnosis. My understanding is there is no medically proven test to establish that anyone has any mental disorder listed in the DSM manual. I live in a nonmedical state so I have been treated with a variety of noncannabis psychotropics. Non of them have been effective or allowed me to lead a normal life. From my experience, edibles are not the best thing for anxiety. Perhaps a CBD tincture which I have not had the privilage to try would be better than say cannabutter edibles. I have found that smoking has helped greatly with many of my OCD and anxiety/aspergers/autism related symptoms. But since I don't live in a medical state, regualr treatment with high CBD or any strains for that matter is not an option. :frown:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I was seen by a supposed autism "expert" who after the course of several meetings reached the conclusion of his diagnosis. My understanding is there is no medically proven test to establish that anyone has any mental disorder listed in the DSM manual. I live in a nonmedical state so I have been treated with a variety of noncannabis psychotropics. Non of them have been effective or allowed me to lead a normal life.
Definitely stay away from chemical Rx... most of those are bad and some of them are really bad, doing permanent damage to processes in your brain. *sigh*

thefifth said:
From my experience, edibles are not the best thing for anxiety. Perhaps a CBD tincture which I have not had the privilage to try would be better than say cannabutter edibles. I have found that smoking has helped greatly with many of my OCD and anxiety/aspergers/autism related symptoms. But since I don't live in a medical state, regualr treatment with high CBD or any strains for that matter is not an option. :frown:

You live in a non-medical state. I understand as I also spent quite a few years in a non-medical state. The cannabis you have access to will be very "not so good", as your post points out. Strain choice has a lot to do with effectiveness and edibles from the right strain are astoundingly effective.

My option (short of moving to a medical state back then) was to set up a stealth grow and grow my own. These days there are such things as "Dixie Dew Drops" (Legal in all states) which may provide the cbd you need, in addition to the cannabis you can get. Everyone is different and has to make their own choices.

Personally... I have huge issues with doctors and have yet to have a 'good' experience with one. Ran into a fabulous SURGEON... but no good doctors yet. lol :tiphat:

Wishing you the best and hoping for 'awesome'!

Builtaforest said:
Wow, I just self diagnosed.

Thanks HS. I've seriously been wondering all my life.

Is the "visualization" the same for the rest of you guys too? I don't/can't see pictures in my mind only words/concepts. It's simply dark "visually"
Crazy... isn't it? :) As for the visualization... some things I can turn over and picture, like gears and simple machines... it's very difficult though and I have to almost meditate on it.

So.. for me, yeah. LOL I guess. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

LeeROI

OK, Asperger's no longer exists:

"Asperger's syndrome will be dropped from the latest edition of the psychiatrist's "bible," the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM-5.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) announced on Saturday [Dec 1] the changes to its flagship manual that doctors use to diagnose patients with mental disorders. It's the first major rewriter to the DSM in nearly 20 years. The familiar "Asperger's," along with some similar disorders, will be lumped together under autism spectrum disorder, "to help more accurately and consistently diagnose children with autism," the APA said in a statement."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...from-american-psychiatric-association-manual/

After the Connecticut incident, I took the wired.com autism quiz. Wow, it doesn't make me feel any better about myself but a lot of things make more sense now.

S

SeaMaiden

Hmm... I'm not sure that's going to be *more* helpful. Oh well! I look forward to seeing the new DSM.
I was seen by a supposed autism "expert" who after the course of several meetings reached the conclusion of his diagnosis. My understanding is there is no medically proven test to establish that anyone has any mental disorder listed in the DSM manual.
Hmm... well, I don't have access to the DSM at this time (I usually use my father's medical books as my reference material), but I recall very clearly that the county folks down in LA had these puzzle and pattern tests, including some that reminded me of the vision and brain tests that were used for my younger son when we were trying to figure out if he had epilepsy or what. And, again as I recall without any material to go back to, those tests are very specific for autism spectrum disorders. In fact, it created a problem for me because it meant the autistic, yet higher functioning son, could receive help from the county, but my Touretter, who needed a great deal more help, especially therapies, did not qualify. I wish I had my son's files up here just so I could see!

I live in a nonmedical state so I have been treated with a variety of noncannabis psychotropics. Non of them have been effective or allowed me to lead a normal life. From my experience, edibles are not the best thing for anxiety. Perhaps a CBD tincture which I have not had the privilage to try would be better than say cannabutter edibles. I have found that smoking has helped greatly with many of my OCD and anxiety/aspergers/autism related symptoms. But since I don't live in a medical state, regualr treatment with high CBD or any strains for that matter is not an option. :frown:

Yes, and I think I have an idea of what meds have been used, and I would not expect them to be very helpful at all, perhaps making some things (depression) worse? Let me see if I can find a link for you, because IIRC tests for marijuana use only test for THC and no other cannabinoids.

Here we go, look for Dixie X dot com. I know nothing about this outfit or the product, but if it's extremely low THC and mostly CBD/CBN, then it may offer you some help, and you may be able to order it online and have it sent to you directly. It does not appear that they require you to show recommendation or anything like that, and I can't see where they say they won't ship to certain states or anything like that.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
<b>Very interesting read here,</b> I have 2 family members on the autism spectrum, both too young really to try anything cannabis...
Only because we live in a barbaric country.

Cannabis is (or should be) the first medicine prescribed by doctors for children and infants. Those that are opposed to that are unaware of the facts of cannabis, including that it can be prepared in a multitude of ways according to the intended application. A far cry from a doobie in a kids mouth. *shrug*

In time, the truth will become universal again... do your part and educate yourself and others.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
my oldest son was diagnosed as an Aspie when he was 9 or 10 years old. was WAY smarter than most other kids in his classes, but so socially awkward that his brother is probably his only real friend (besides his mother & myself). so many of you here have described him to a "T" by describing yourselves IE- incorrectly interpreting social cues, facial expressions, need for structured time. he cries like a baby when a pet passes away, but nary a tear for his grandmother/grandfather. in a way, not missing people when they go may be a blessing in disguise. by the way, he just walked up behind me as i was typing this & said "would smoking pot make me more social?" i told him that "your mother would kill me if i suggested it, but you are 19 years old now. you have your life in front of you & she will not make all of your decisions for you..." so, who knows? he cannot concentrate well enough to drive a car, & came to that realization on his own during driving lessons. if only more people could see themselves as clearly as he does. i hope to one day sit & smoke a legal (or not, LOL!) joint with him before i die. i started life late, was too busy getting my wild oats sown(am 55 now)but better late than never. i will be checking back in on this thread every few days, and hope to read of others experiences...thanks.

S

SeaMaiden

Oh... my goodness. Sometimes I wish I could get my son to talk about his life and experiences more. Strangely enough, he's always had friends and hasn't suffered the socialization problems my younger boy has. But, people have taken advantage of him, sometimes very badly, and he's still got a tough row to hoe learning how to tell friend from foe.

So, to your son, smoking very well may make him more sociable, because it may open him to different types of thought processes. And since cannabis can expand creative thinking, there may be other unexpected effects. If he suffers from anxiety, it can help that, but take care because some lines may make it worse. It always seems to help with appetite, if that's another problem he experiences. Smoking may help him concentrate better. Not that I'm advocating getting him and taking him out driving, but there are other areas where concentration is necessary.

jayd

my son suffers from aspergers and he has the odd smoke every now and then but i dont like him smoking as hes too young.
im waiting for an assesment myself for adhd/autistic spectrum disorder. when i have a break from smoking i clearlyt act a little hyper and sillier. when i was young i had to go special schools but adhd autisum wasnt about back then you was just called a problem child

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
my son suffers from aspergers and he has the odd smoke every now and then but i dont like him smoking as hes too young.
I agree... smoking is bad, especially for kids.

What you want are called "Canna-Pills" or "Canna-Caps" and there are a lot of methods on here for making them. I make mine from Holy Anointing Oil.

Test a few strains with edibles and watch for memory and focus improvement... mood stability... attitude, over the next day or so. Once you find something that works, work to get a lot more of it.

I highly recommend making the canna-caps very mild (even for adults)... so that the effects can be barely felt, if at all. Have them take 3 a day. Morning, noon and evening. Every day.

In a month you'll see a dramatic difference... most visibly starting about week 3. :tiphat:

The Bling

I have aspergers I get taken advantage of in this industry all the time I really believe in this medicine, it saved my life. In 2012 I got majorly ripped off by the "collective" I grew for. leaves me seriously pissed off I just got taken advantage of grew 100s of #s and now I am struggling to pay rent and have a garden next year. Honestly I am so pissed that I still cant tell friend from foe.

It really hurts I dont know what my recours is when I have the money maybe I can get a lawer and sue or something. Right now it just hurts bad as fuck they had me relocate for the job, and lease a house, then just left me high and dry. I honestly never thought I would feel this way on top of it all they left me with a huge cc bill for materials I had purchased for the job that I was supposed to be repaid for, I started the new year in lots of debt not knowing how I was going to pay rent.

Luckily I have had real friends and family come to my aid but, its still humiliating. I have really been struggling with depression because of this whole situation. My credit card is still maxed out collecting intrest which I cant afford to pay right now. I am so fucking pissed off.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. I really feel like shit and its really hard on my relationship with my fiance which even when our finances are stable is tough for her because of my aspie querks.

Just sucks to be taken advantage of especially when these people have enough funding to be fair with me.

What would you do?

The Hatter

Veteran
Interesting thread. I've had just about every diagnosis under sun when it comes to my neurological problems. Asperger's was on that list at one time before they found out I almost died of asphyxiation during birth and they have since decided it is more likely to be brain damage and severe atypical bipolar behind most of my symptoms. On the other hand given that my youngest nephew has now been diagnosed with asperger's it does suggest it may be part of the problem after all since it appears to run in my family.

Long story made short I have found cannabis useful for controlling some of my more psychotic rage and agitation related symptoms along with some of the social isolation. Like most of the others on this thread, I avoid most indicas since the stupor they induce leaves me confused, nervous, antisocial and depressed. I find clear, upbeat sativas most helpful but not in high doses.

Last edited:

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
we are a way away from understanding autistic spectrum disorders yet, but basically its the effect of different exogenous chemicals on genetics, epigenetics, and since they vary so widely its unlikely they will really be pinpointed, the genes implicated however have been isolated and will be cut out of the species eventually which is sad because if we lived in a completely natural environment these genes would be no problem and the people possibly still savant geniuses..

purplez

This forum just gets better, I never thought I would see an Autism/Asperger's thread.
I have Asperger's syndrome and in short from my experience:

I would say that anyone considering taking cannabis for the first time or if they are younger, should be careful which strain, the environment they take it in, who is with them etc. I have had a couple of nasty experiences with being in the wrong place, and the wrong strain.

Sativas can increase anxiety terribly if they are high THC. A heavy indica could really disorientate and confuse someone if they don't know what to expect. I don't know if it's just me, or whether it's an aspie thing, but I am really sensitive to drugs of any kind and on cannabis it can make communication worse. I think that it is great for the person with autism/aspergers but for me personally it definitely doesn't make me more neurotypical it makes the aspergers more pronounced. But then as the saying goes it is better to be who you are rather than trying to be something you are not, and cannabis can help with that because you are chilled and the anxiety over being around others isn't there.

That said, I agree with the folks that have said small amounts to see what the benefits are for the individual, as everyone reacts differently. Sativas can really help clear the head and help focus, indicas are great for escapism, anti-anxiety, pain relief, and all the other conditions that are common such as IBS, depression, muscle problems etc. A lot of people use sativa dominants during the day to relieve depression and indicas in the evening or when they can just chill out and not need to go anywhere or do anything.

I am hoping to try some high CBD strains as it's said that they are less likely to cause anxiety or other unwanted effects. Dutch Passion has some high CBD strains, and CBD Crew specialize in them.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful to some folks, feel free to ask me any questions. I have a lot of prescription medication right now and it's not helping my brain lol. Role on harvest day :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The IBS, in the majority of the population, is completely diet related.

Used to have all kinds of issues... even ones I wasn't even aware of that I dealt with daily. Choose your foods by your blood type and all that goes away. *shrug* Absolutely amazing and has to be experienced to be believed. :)

Here's a link to the best list I've found and been using for a few years. Notice there aren't any man-made, chemical or other crap on that list that's 'neutral'. It's all avoid. Gotta stop eating the crud in all the food out there... it DEFINITELY affects how your brain functions.

Helps NT's too. LOL