What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using non-grow specific (industrial/commercial) LEDs?

kamyo

Veteran
I tried to search a bit for this, but wasn't exactly sure what to look for. Apologies if it's been discussed before.

I'm particularly curious about commercial led lighting in place of specialized grow lights. Something that would have replaced old hps or halides in a warehouse or something. I know that this seems completely counterintuitive, but it seems like there's currently a nice premium on good led grow lights. Almost like you could take a light selling for $100, call it a grow light, and sell it for $150. Not that that's actually the case, but I thought I'd ask you guys. The current grow led offerings and the diy route notwithstanding, is there a particular reason not to look into these lights and just stick with led grow lights?

I did see Hammerhead's thread on the high bays. Curious about similar experiences.

Edit: it does appear that spectrum might be difficult, as most of these lights are way over at 5000k and up. But 3500k and 4000k don't seem to be impossible to find.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
About 10 years ago, before QUALITY led grow lights were available at reasonable prices, I was buying early LED screw bulbs and cheap vanity fixtures

I would mix warm white and cool white bulbs 3:1 in veg and 1:3 in flower. Worked pretty well

kamyo

Veteran
Thanks. The more I look at these, the more it seems like it makes complete sense to go this route versus a cheap led. I think if money wasn't much of an issue, I'd probably just go for the ones meant to grow plants like hlg or whatever. But if the color temperature adds up, I can't really think of much reason not to go this route on a budget.

I have a feeling I'm going to give this a shot soon if I can't find a reason not to.

Also, it does appear that high bay LEDs for cannabis are a "thing," but just not super common. Now that I know what to search for, I see more information about it.

maraudeur

I'm looking to replace my cfls and hps and instead use all those sockets for philips lightforce, the high bay with 60 degrees would be laser territory i think.. but haven't seen the layout of them diodes between models.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks. The more I look at these, the more it seems like it makes complete sense to go this route versus a cheap led. I think if money wasn't much of an issue, I'd probably just go for the ones meant to grow plants like hlg or whatever. But if the color temperature adds up, I can't really think of much reason not to go this route on a budget.

I have a feeling I'm going to give this a shot soon if I can't find a reason not to.

Also, it does appear that high bay LEDs for cannabis are a "thing," but just not super common. Now that I know what to search for, I see more information about it.

I neglected to say that when using screw bulb leds you want spotlights, as all f their light faces the canopy

And, high bays are designed for tall ceilings. They can cause major issues when using in regular grow tents

I tried to search a bit for this, but wasn't exactly sure what to look for. Apologies if it's been discussed before.

I'm particularly curious about commercial led lighting in place of specialized grow lights. Something that would have replaced old hps or halides in a warehouse or something. I know that this seems completely counterintuitive, but it seems like there's currently a nice premium on good led grow lights. Almost like you could take a light selling for $100, call it a grow light, and sell it for $150. Not that that's actually the case, but I thought I'd ask you guys. The current grow led offerings and the diy route notwithstanding, is there a particular reason not to look into these lights and just stick with led grow lights?

I did see Hammerhead's thread on the high bays. Curious about similar experiences.

Edit: it does appear that spectrum might be difficult, as most of these lights are way over at 5000k and up. But 3500k and 4000k don't seem to be impossible to find.

I am very interested in this as well so I buyed first two LED cob lights for construction sites, for painting walls or something, one 80w 4000k 6400lmn and one 100w 4000k 8000lmn.
I'm not a good grower and got jacked by bugs but if you want to see how plants grow under this type of light, I have this thread wich is not in English ,page18 photo of the 80w Led wich is the same with 100w . I started with 10 seeds and ended up with 1 male 3 seeded females and 1 for smoking which didn't show sex during male was alive.
So, grow starts at page 20? on the last page is the result of 15 days in veg, 45days into 11/13 light schedule under 180w 4000k and 3x17w 6500k wich I discarded because I think its messing up the spectrum, 4000k is good... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343064&page=18
I just added 100w more, now I have 280w 4000k and some seeds just sprouted and will grow 11/13 from seed in the same grow.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I have had great results with cheap 100 to 300 watt flood lights from A-zon. About $25 per 100 watts, I like the 6K.

Latest posts

Latest posts