What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will there be a Cannabis Registration Catalogue of approved varieties?

shaggyballs

Veteran
This is done in Europe right now for food crop seeds.

Is it true that you can not grow and sell or give away crops grown from seeds not registered in this calalogue.?

Will Cannabis be treated this way soon?

Could this happen to your heirloom Cannabis cultivars?

I do not live in Europe so I do not claim to know the laws so this topic is in the discussion stage.

All comments welcome.:tiphat:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Maybe we should start with how the calalogue works for food crops in Europe.
Can anyone explain how things work?

shithawk420

Veteran
For the most part I agree with you shaggy but what are you gonna do? You got millions or even billions to stop this? No that's why all we can do is take it up the ass.my state is legal medical mj but you gotta be dieing and you'll still pay 400 at a clinic and there's no way there gonna pass a bill to let us grow.i don't see it happening.did come across some decent stuff for 150 an ounce or so what he claimed.all this legal and medical bs just makes me not even wanna think about cannabis.i grow it not legally.i smoke it.not legally.honestly the whole discussion makes me not wanna be involved at all.only people I know making serious cash are the fucks ripping people off in dispensaries and the the ones low balling everyone in the street.im done with weed period but I'll take the occasional toke but everyone beat me and my family out of the game.i had more to lose than anyone.but no one cares about me and my family.fuck it.im out of the weed game

shaggyballs

Veteran

shaggyballs

Veteran
When I read this I cringed!
Would the exchange of seeds have become illegal?
In many cases: Yes.

Would consumers be restricted in their product choice?
Yes.

Also non-industrial varieties of vegetables, fruits and grains would be highly discriminated against.
They are gonna try this shit with cannabis too.

How can I stay informed?
We would be delighted if you sign up for our newsletter and visit our website on seed policies.
Or write directly to saatgutpolitik@arche-noah.at

shithawk420

Veteran
Sorry about my rambling.i drank a 30 pack and was in a bad mood.ive been an asshole lately and wanna apologize to everyone.i hope things get better for everyone

shaggyballs

Veteran
Sorry about my rambling.i drank a 30 pack and was in a bad mood.ive been an asshole lately and wanna apologize to everyone.i hope things get better for everyone

No sweat brother.
We all need to vent.
Cannabis laws these days will do that to a person.:)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Canna seeds are totally legal in several countries in Europe.

That's why we been buying from there for so long and will have to again after "legalization" closes the US grey market seed banks down.

When the seed game goes from the closet checkers to corporate what do you think will be for sale?
Midz contaminated with hemp strains, trust me.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Researchers tease out genetic differences between cannabis strains

Researchers tease out genetic differences between cannabis strains

2-cannabis.jpg

Research from Washington State University could provide government regulators with powerful new tools for addressing a bevy of commercial claims and other concerns as non-medical marijuana, hemp and CBD products become more commonplace. The new analysis of the genetic and chemical characteristics of cannabis is believed to be the first thorough examination of its kind.

The current method is inadequate, says Mark Lange, a professor in WSU's Institute for Biological Chemistry. Regulators focus on levels of the psychoactive compound THC and just a handful of the more than 90 other cannabinoids. The industry makes various claims about different strains, from sedating indicas to invigorating sativas, Acapulco Gold to Zkittlez, but they defy objective analysis.

"There is a reason why all these strains have different names—because a lot of them are very different," said Lange. "But some strains with different names are actually very similar. The bottom line is there is a lot of confusion."

Until now.

Lange and his colleagues analyzed genetic sequences from nine commercial cannabis strains and found distinct gene networks orchestrating each strain's production of cannabinoid resins and terpenes, volatile compounds behind the plant's powerful aroma.

Their research was published today in the journal Plant Physiology.

Armed with this new tool, people can start to sort out a variety of issues that are already emerging as recreational cannabis is legal in 11 states, including the entire West Coast, and hemp is legal across the country.

Lange's analytical method, for example, can be used to clearly delineate between psychoactive cannabis and hemp, which by law has to have less than 0.3 percent THC. It might help identify the skunky smell that elicits complaints from the neighbors of pot farms, opening a way to breed and grow something easier on the nose. It can test the health claims of cannabidiol, known by the shorthand CBD, or the alleged synergy, known as the "entourage effect," between cannabis compounds.

It can truth squad your bud tender.

"One of the things that needs to happen in the emerging market is that you know what you're selling," said Lange. "You can't just call it something and then that's good. We need to be very clear that this is the cannabinoid profile that is associated with, say, Harlequin -it has a specific cannabinoid profile, a specific terpenoid profile, and that's what it is. If it has a different name, then it should have a different profile. Currently you can do whatever you want."

Lange is an expert on trichomes, the resin-producing glands of plants like mint. But in this case, he could not touch the plant if he was to comply with federal and university policy on cannabis research. All the material was handled by EVIO Labs, a private cannabis testing company licensed by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. Anthony Smith, an EVIO biochemist and co-author, drew RNA from each strain by abrading trichomes with glass beads and filtering the material. A third party sequenced the RNA. In the end, Lange and his team touched only a high-resolution data set that clearly marks both the genes of each strain and their end products.

Source : https://phys.org/news/2019-05-genetic-differences-cannabis-strains.html

RMS

:smoweed:

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Canna seeds are totally legal in several countries in Europe.

That's why we been buying from there for so long and will have to again after "legalization" closes the US grey market seed banks down.

When the seed game goes from the closet checkers to corporate what do you think will be for sale?
Midz contaminated with hemp strains, trust me.

I underline that 100% :)

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
View Image

Research from Washington State University could provide government regulators with powerful new tools for addressing a bevy of commercial claims and other concerns as non-medical marijuana, hemp and CBD products become more commonplace. The new analysis of the genetic and chemical characteristics of cannabis is believed to be the first thorough examination of its kind.

The current method is inadequate, says Mark Lange, a professor in WSU's Institute for Biological Chemistry. Regulators focus on levels of the psychoactive compound THC and just a handful of the more than 90 other cannabinoids. The industry makes various claims about different strains, from sedating indicas to invigorating sativas, Acapulco Gold to Zkittlez, but they defy objective analysis.

"There is a reason why all these strains have different names—because a lot of them are very different," said Lange. "But some strains with different names are actually very similar. The bottom line is there is a lot of confusion."

Until now.

Lange and his colleagues analyzed genetic sequences from nine commercial cannabis strains and found distinct gene networks orchestrating each strain's production of cannabinoid resins and terpenes, volatile compounds behind the plant's powerful aroma.

Their research was published today in the journal Plant Physiology.

Armed with this new tool, people can start to sort out a variety of issues that are already emerging as recreational cannabis is legal in 11 states, including the entire West Coast, and hemp is legal across the country.

Lange's analytical method, for example, can be used to clearly delineate between psychoactive cannabis and hemp, which by law has to have less than 0.3 percent THC. It might help identify the skunky smell that elicits complaints from the neighbors of pot farms, opening a way to breed and grow something easier on the nose. It can test the health claims of cannabidiol, known by the shorthand CBD, or the alleged synergy, known as the "entourage effect," between cannabis compounds.

It can truth squad your bud tender.

"One of the things that needs to happen in the emerging market is that you know what you're selling," said Lange. "You can't just call it something and then that's good. We need to be very clear that this is the cannabinoid profile that is associated with, say, Harlequin -it has a specific cannabinoid profile, a specific terpenoid profile, and that's what it is. If it has a different name, then it should have a different profile. Currently you can do whatever you want."

Lange is an expert on trichomes, the resin-producing glands of plants like mint. But in this case, he could not touch the plant if he was to comply with federal and university policy on cannabis research. All the material was handled by EVIO Labs, a private cannabis testing company licensed by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. Anthony Smith, an EVIO biochemist and co-author, drew RNA from each strain by abrading trichomes with glass beads and filtering the material. A third party sequenced the RNA. In the end, Lange and his team touched only a high-resolution data set that clearly marks both the genes of each strain and their end products.

Source : https://phys.org/news/2019-05-genetic-differences-cannabis-strains.html

RMS

:smoweed:

Damn.
How to remove the magic from the high 101.

They’ll be cutting open the golden goose to see where the gold comes from next....

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I can see fruits and vegetables seeds showing different fruit but with weed, how could the average PoPo tell the difference between possibly proposed govt approved seeds from ??? black market seeds/plants?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway

No problem. I worry about this too.
But when I started growing, I did it to save money, not make money. $100-$120 a q at the time.

Later I discovered I LOVED growing weed. More than smoking now days.

I try to tell myself, that if these patents actually happen- that I'll just keep growing illegally anyway.

Never have grown legally.
Even if it gets cheaper to buy, than to grow, this is my passion.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
No problem. I worry about this too.
But when I started growing, I did it to save money, not make money. $100-$120 a q at the time.

Later I discovered I LOVED growing weed. More than smoking now days.

I try to tell myself, that if these patents actually happen- that I'll just keep growing illegally anyway.

Never have grown legally.
Even if it gets cheaper to buy, than to grow, this is my passion.
I should be better at it but>ME TOO! :tiphat::tiphat:
I wish I could get a cologne that smells like my favorite 'terpene' at harvest time.. spray it all around :biggrin:

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
This is done in Europe right now for food crop seeds.

Is it true that you can not grow and sell or give away crops grown from seeds not registered in this calalogue.?

Will Cannabis be treated this way soon?

Could this happen to your heirloom Cannabis cultivars?

I do not live in Europe so I do not claim to know the laws so this topic is in the discussion stage.

All comments welcome.:tiphat:

Yes and no. You can grow and give away whatever seeds/crops you want, there is no plant-police that will come take away your heirloom strains and arrest you for growing stuff outside the official catalog. But if you want to market crops or seeds, then yes, they have to be registered.

Maybe we should start with how the calalogue works for food crops in Europe.
Can anyone explain how things work?

If you are talking about the 'Plant variety catalog', something like this:

EU database of registered plant varieties
The common catalogues of varieties of agricultural plant and vegetable species list the varieties which can be marketed in the EU.

Catalogues are based on the registration of plant varieties in EU countries after they have been technically examined there and notified to the Commission. They are published in the Official Journal.

Variety registration is a precondition for the certification of seed.

Criteria
To be listed, varieties must meet standards on:

Distinctness
Uniformity
Stability
Value for cultivation and use - for agricultural crops.
This value is based on:

Yield
Resistance to harmful organisms
Response to the environment
Quality characteristics
Legislation
Council Directive 2002/53/EC on the common catalogue of varieties of agricultural plant species.

Council Directive 2002/55/EC on the marketing of vegetable seed.

Council Directive 2008/72/EC on the marketing of vegetable propagating and planting material other than seed.

Commission Directive 2003/90/EC: Rules on minimum characteristics and minimum conditions for examining certain varieties of agricultural plant species.

Commission Directive 2003/91/EC: Rules on minimum characteristics and minim conditions for examining certain vegetable species.

Commission Regulation 637/2009/EC of 22 July 2009 establishing implementing rules as to the suitability of the denominations of varieties of agricultural plant species and vegetable species.

Fruit genera and species
FRUMATIS (Fruit Reproductive Material Information System)
On the basis of national variety registers of fruit genera and species, the Commission draws up an EU variety register to improve the traceability and promote the dissemination of information on the varieties that can be marketed in the EU.

The EU variety register contains the varieties with an official description - which need to be officially registered - as well as varieties with an officially recognised description. Before official registration the variety's identity is tested for:

Distinctness;
Uniformity;
Stability
Legislation
Council Directive 2008/90/EC on the marketing of fruit plant propagating material and fruit plants intended for fruit production

Commission Implementing Directive 2014/97/EU implementing Council Directive 2008/90/EC as regards the registration of suppliers and of varieties and the common list of varieties.

Hope this helps :tiphat:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Yes, it did!
Thanks!

So if I crossed my non-catalogue heirloom tomatoes and made something super tasty could I then bring them to market?

Or is this type of thing still excluded?