What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Properly flushing question

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Im close to pulling, And have watered a couple times with filtered water.

my plants are in 3 gallon plastic grow bags, throughout flowering id give them a 1/2 gallon each.... It seemed like a lot for a 3 gallon container but thats what it took to get some runoff..

My question is: should i up it to 1 gallon per plant of H20 so it really runs off to flush it or what? My soil is pretty basic, Its bagged 707 Roots Organic, and its light textured soil...

Before i started the flush they got Humboldt Honey, I was using that as a molasses.... Thanks!

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
I usually start plain water 10-14 days before harvest and adjust pH to start at 5.6 and increasing to 6.1 in increments of .1 this for me flushes pretty well with just the normal amount of run off. If I want to speed it up, I do try to drench with greater run off. Pro-Mix is my medium.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I usually start plain water 10-14 days before harvest and adjust pH to start at 5.6 and increasing to 6.1 in increments of .1 this for me flushes pretty well with just the normal amount of run off. If I want to speed it up, I do try to drench with greater run off. Pro-Mix is my medium.

Thanks, I usually try and water 10 percent of what my container size is, but in 3 gallon bags it took a half gallon to get runoff. which would be more for a 5 gallon pot size. Been doing that pretty much since day one in those 3 gallon plastic bags...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yucca extract is your friend, be sure to add a bunch to your flush water. :) Helps everything get in, and stay in, solution so it can be washed out. :)

Drewsif

What are you flushing? Hard to leech anything from soil. Stopping uptake in soil requires a different approach. Or not if you want to be one of these guys who thinks dirt is a weed flavor.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Yucca extract is your friend, be sure to add a bunch to your flush water. :) Helps everything get in, and stay in, solution so it can be washed out. :)

Have you ever looked at Fox Farms soil feeding schedule?
Their schedule has them flushing with their "Sledgehammer" yucca flushing product.
But they do it three times during the grow- NOT at end of grow.
They recommended adding a fourth flush if in coco.
And they feed all the way to harvest!
What do y'all think of this?

I hear alot of growers say they only flush during the grow if there is a problem. So they can start over.
And most stop feeding 10-14 days before harvest and water only.

I haven't looked at a lot of commercial nutrient schedules, because I've always either did organic, no name nutrients, or the Fox Farms line that I got for free.
Is it normal for companies to schedule feeding all the way to end?
Looks like Fox Farms is just making you use more nutrients so you have to buy more nutrients.
Maybe I'll feed one all the way till end, and see if there is any differences in taste, smell, burnabilty

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I used to flush out indoor plants with 3gal of water to every gallon of soil....so with 5 gal of soil Id flush about 15gal of water. I read that in Jorges indoor grow bible many yrs ago. After you flush them let the soil dry back out before harvest. If you cure them properly you'll have some good tasting weed, and I use Fox Farms entire line except sledgehammer. There's been times Ive not flushed at the end and I taste the fertilizer/nutrients

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Have you ever looked at Fox Farms soil feeding schedule?
No, I don't look at mfg feeding charts. Nutrient mfgs are in the business of overselling nutrients, and cannabis happens to be a plant which will still grow and look 'ok' while absorbing quality demolishing levels of nutrients.

Their schedule has them flushing with their "Sledgehammer" yucca flushing product.
But they do it three times during the grow- NOT at end of grow.
They recommended adding a fourth flush if in coco.
And they feed all the way to harvest!
What do y'all think of this?
I think they're on to the fact they recommend excessive levels of nutrients. As for not using at the end of harvest, it doesn't make much sense to me. Yucca helps things go into and stay in suspension, helping the flushing process. What else is in their sledgehammer you would not want at harvest time in your flowers?

Is it normal for companies to schedule feeding all the way to end?
Looks like Fox Farms is just making you use more nutrients so you have to buy more nutrients.
Maybe I'll feed one all the way till end, and see if there is any differences in taste, smell, burnabilty
Yes, they're in the business of selling nutrients and all the popular magazines of the past show nutrient full (super green) flowers at harvest time.

Flush one, leave the other fed till harvest. You'll want to give away the fed till harvest flowers. ;)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
for not using at the end of harvest, it doesn't make much sense to me. Yucca helps things go into and stay in suspension, helping the flushing process. What else is in their sledgehammer you would not want at harvest time in your flowers?

Good point. Yucca is the only listed on the bottle of sledgehammer

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Do any of you guys thats used sledgehammer or anything besides water think it works better or what. Ive also just flushed heavy with water

Latest posts

Latest posts