What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Read Any Good Movies Lately? (Great Movies w/Subtitles)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Occasionally I come across a great movie which is not in my native language. Last night I watched/read a very well done movie from bollywood called "PK." Sci-Fi, romantic comedy, tear-jerker. It's currently on Netflix.

What's a great movie you've read in the past and recommend? :tiphat:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I collect Japanese Samurai movies.

My favorites are the old black and white Zatoichi movies.

Lone wolf and Cub. Shogun Assassin. Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai. Rashoman.

Ran is another longtime favorite of mine if you can find it.

kaochiu

Veteran
Kieszlowsky too, the Dekalog or the Trilogy of Red, White and Blue. Also The Double Life of Veronique, really haunting soundtrack too.
Jackie Chan's early movies are really a lot of things. Comedy, romance, action, mistery, suspense, amazing stunts, politics, crazy plots, even some animals were probably hurt during filming, like that fight cat vs snake. Add the chinese they speak in Hong Kong and their gestures. The subtitles help to know if they are happy or angry, which might be useful at some point in real life.
Italian cinema, most reccomendable Mimi Metallurgica, an all time favourite of mine, i laughed loud with it. Again, it needs to be heard with the original voices.
Some say the spoken word only amounts for 5% of the information perceived. Watching a dubbed movie is like hearing Elvis singing Guadalajara. And it's Hitlers' invention, that too.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome, thanks! :)

Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer are two I enjoyed reading. They're also english dubbed, but there are some cute differences between the spoken and written lines.

Green Squall

Russia - "9th Company", "How I Ended This Summer", "The Return" and "Leviathan."

France - "Intimate Enemies", "Raw", "The Night Eats the World."

Colombia - "La Sirga."

Estonia/Georgia - "Tangerines."

Netherlands - "Winter in Wartime."

Cuba - "Una Noche."

Israel - "Zero Motivation", "Lebanon."

Canada/France - "Incendies."

Spain - "1898, Our Last Men in the Philippines."

Denmark - "Land of Mine."

Norway - "Kind of Devils Island", Oslo August 31st", "Troll Hunter."

Poland - "Essential Killing."

Soviet Union - "Come and See." (Very disturbing)

Bosnia and Herzegovina - "No Man's Land."

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
All films by Andre Tarkovsky are easily recommendable!

Andrei* Tarkovsky.

Hear! Hear!

I can’t imagine life without a regular viewing of his “Stalker”.

The original “Solaris” is quite moving, too.

Same here friend. I even have my own copy. :biggrin:

Somehow haven't seen the original "Solaris" but will have to check it out.

I guess smoking and drinking has me coming up a bit short because all that comes to mind at the moment is:

"The Seventh Seal"
"Apocalypto"

And I second "Let the Right One In"

GaelSchulle

You will definitely love the movie Mask. Lots of emotions! The movie hasn't lost its relevance and liveliness for over 20 years! Don't think it's just a movie for kids - it's an action movie, no matter how fun and relaxed the inimitable Jim Carrey's character is. But the fairy-tale mixture of animation, fantasy, and plastic art will grab your attention completely and unite children and adults for a good hour and a half of viewing. I suggest you look for subtitled movies at หนังใหม่ล่าสุด. Watching movies with subtitles helped me learn English when I moved to America. It might help you as well.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Netflix "How to Sell Drugs Online" was surprisingly good. Very realistic, pretty funny.

It's a German made movie that was dubbed with English voices, but the English sub-titles match the original German.

It's a little like "Don't Look Up". Which was meant to be a farce, but was more like the real government than the endless Bullshit US gov. pretend Charades.