What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds need cracking before they will germinate?

Treevly

I was reading about a particular Chitral-Bubba Kush type cross, and was surprised to read the following from the seed company:

""Very important notice: The seeds do not sprout naturally, they need to be crack for a correct hydration of the embryo. You can use a sandpaper or try to open it slightly causing the break of the tip.""

I hate to admit it, but this is new to me. Is this real, and widely known?

Thank you.

G

GatorGumbo

Yea, it's a real thing. Specifically needed with any strain I don't know, it certainly wouldn't be a desirable trait, but with any strain it does help.

Treevly

Wow... Thank you. How would you approach that? High magnification and an Exacto knife or needle? Sandpaper seems a bit inexact, to my way of thinking.

soil margin

Veteran
I think scarification is the technical term for what they call this? I'm sure someone can explain it better than me but essentially if you imagine a seed cracking open naturally on it's own, that line around the seed where it first splits in half is what you're targeting, and don't need to be perfectly exact. I've used sandpaper, nail file, etc. anything that will scuff up the outside of the seed. Have never bothered to use any magnification, just holding the seed up under a decent light source is enough. Taking a little matter off that opening line makes it easier for the seed to open up and therefore germinate is what I've always presumed is happening.

G

GatorGumbo

Wow... Thank you. How would you approach that? High magnification and an Exacto knife or needle? Sandpaper seems a bit inexact, to my way of thinking.

I use a sterile and dedicated fingernail file and do them one by one, with gloves on. If you have many to do it can be time-consuming, and some folks go through the trouble of lining a small box with sandpaper to shake the seeds around in.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I think scarification is the technical term for what they call this? I'm sure someone can explain it better than me but essentially if you imagine a seed cracking open naturally on it's own, that line around the seed where it first splits in half is what you're targeting, and don't need to be perfectly exact. I've used sandpaper, nail file, etc. anything that will scuff up the outside of the seed. Have never bothered to use any magnification, just holding the seed up under a decent light source is enough. Taking a little matter off that opening line makes it easier for the seed to open up and therefore germinate is what I've always presumed is happening.
FWIW I scarify all my seeds. It is what I learned and placed into practice.

Teeth and a little pressure works with a good bite inhibition, even though far from sterile like with tools and sanitizers. Skoosh is notorious for the thick shell and even Subcool says it about this particular cultivar - even though he renamed it "Hacks Cleaner" or "Jacks Cleaner".

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Many of my OGKB cookie crosses have oddly shaped seeds that can be tough to crack also, I recommend a pill vial with sandpaper rolled up inside and a long shaking.

Treevly

I wonder how many people know about this problem. One reads a zillion complaints about paying $$$ for seeds and not being able to germinate them. Perhaps the cracking thing is the cause for much of the grief.