What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

R.I.P. Hal Blaine

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Wow.....sad to hear this.

Hal Blaine was one of the brilliant world class studio musicians in the Wrecking Crew.

[YOUTUBEIF]nv83SQkINkM[/YOUTUBEIF]

RMS

:smoweed:

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I think this guy holds the record for "most recorded session musician". He also played with /for people like Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Simon & Garfunkel, The Beach Boys, every member of the Beatles and Neil Diamond to name a few, to a total of something like 40 singles that went number 1 on the charts, 150 top-10 hits and 6 records that got a Grammy for "best album of the year". Not too many artists can put that on their CV.

If you heard songs like 'Strangers in the night', 'Bridge over troubled waters', 'These boots are made for walking', 'Mr. tambourine man', 'Mrs. Robinson', 'I get around', etc.. You've heard this dude play the drums, even if you didn't realize it. So I'd say he's the most successful unknown musician ever. Apparently he never made a fuss about himself, or wanted credit or glory for his work. He was in the rare "just glad to be a part of the team" group of guys, who show up for work on time and do a good job. That's why everybody who could, called him up first when it was time to record some music.

Unsung legend, if there ever was one.
Vaya con dios, amigo. Rest in peace.
:tiphat:

ion

~~So I'd say he's the most successful unknown musician ever. Apparently he never made a fuss about himself, or wanted credit or glory for his work. He was in the rare "just glad to be a part of the team" group of guys, who show up for work on time and do a good job

that is true artist. as true as i can see anyway. there are handfuls of musicians out there, 'professional', in the same vein, they stay low. steve jordan is another good example(drummer), watch his drum video and see his interviews with levon helm, keith richards....they get it.

thanks Badticket. i forgot about mrs robinson...wow........may he remain unsung i say. we know.

~~So I'd say he's the most successful unknown musician ever. Apparently he never made a fuss about himself, or wanted credit or glory for his work. He was in the rare "just glad to be a part of the team" group of guys, who show up for work on time and do a good job

that is true artist. as true as i can see anyway. there are handfuls of musicians out there, 'professional', in the same vein, they stay low. steve jordan is another good example(drummer), watch his drum video and see his interviews with levon helm, keith richards....they get it.

thanks Badticket. i forgot about mrs robinson...wow........may he remain unsung i say. we know.

I would say if he had a boastful ounce of notoriety in his dna it is suppressed. Safe to say if he made a fuss about his accomplishments he would definitely be widely known as an icon.

He worked so much because he stayed away from booze and dope, showed up on time, sober and took great pleasure in just doing his thing. No unnecessary drama, just excellent musical results.

More modern comparables would be Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan, J.R. Robinson and more. Talent is such a fickle thing. You can have oodles of it but you can't find a way to use it correctly, you'll be known as a terrific pond hockey player that could have made it in the Bigs....history is littered with ultra-talented folks who just couldn't or wouldn't put it together. Life is beautifully strange.:huggg: