What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bye Bye TCC (no more thomspon caribou)

blastfrompast

Veteran
Closing shop at end of the month....a few others in the game are doing the same...

Seems the new regs and prison sentences are the push for those to cash in their chips and get out while the getting is good.

Somatek

It's sad as that's the end of an era but also understandable as the whole scene has changed since they opened back in the 90's.

Buddha1

Veteran
doom and gloom.

game over for the small guys. :frown:

I agree...:cry:.

From now on it's...Big Pharma, Big Tabbaco, Big Alcohol, Big Marijuana...sigh!...Big Everything.

The :party: is over.

After legalization these sites and forums will probably fade away as well.

Legalization is... Bitter Sweet...:).

Peace...B

HiFiGanja

Closing shop at end of the month....a few others in the game are doing the same...

Seems the new regs and prison sentences are the push for those to cash in their chips and get out while the getting is good.

Its crazy how many die hard growers are also shutting down. Some are putting up their properties for sale and moving from the coast to the interior and a huge chunk going back to work but its not even legalization per se that is killing it, its all the med licenses and how much weed there is in the market. The market would even still be ok with $900/lb IF it was moving. ATM its stagnant unless you are ok with $500-700/lb and that still has to be good weed.

I and everyone one I know knew things were going to eventually go down and change but no one expected to all of a sudden the whole market crash in March and end so fast.

Last edited:

Buddha1

Veteran
I and everyone one know, knew things were going to eventually go down and change but no one expected to all of a sudden the whole market crash in March and end so fast.

I was talking over this exact subject with some friends. We finally agreed...If any of us had any idea things would go this bad, this fast... we could have saved some cash and invested it into some stock of the larger LP's... because it's the only way any of us will be allowed into this legal market...its totally a millionaire's game now.

The conversation all started over the news story on the LP, Arora. The reporter was asking the rep for Arora questions about their operation. The rep said..."We(Arora) are opening another facility soon, it will have 750,000 square feet of greenhouse growing space... that will bring our foot print to 3,000,000 square feet of greenhouse growing area. By May next year, we will be producing 20,000 kilograms per month...250,000 kilograms annually". How can any grower from the past complete with the future growers if there going that big, that fast. Like I said... it's a millionaire's game now... mom and pop, up to the 100 plus lights operation is done, once these larger LP's get up to full operating potential.

And with this Micro grower/producer program, HC set up... the LP's will get access to all the bootlegger strains, they couldn't before. Here's how it works...LP's can only get seeds and clones from legal sources...but Micro producers(let's call them MP's) don't have to justify or explain where they get there strains or starter material...MP's are lisenced and legal, they can sell to the LP's(dry bud, clones and seeds...etc., etc.)...LP's can buy from MP's because they are a legal source.

IMHO...As far as I'm concerned... they(HC) figured out a way to get the LP's all the good illegal strains that they(LP's) could never compete with...ever. Now once the LP's have all the good stains, they'll no longer need the MP and will stop buying from them all together... the MP's will eventually go bankrupt, because who can compete with one operation producing 20,000 keys per month of the best strains available and there are 2 other LP's rated as large as Arora and I'm sure they will be doing the same.

It might take a few years, maybe a decade... but the large LP's with millionaires and bankers backing them...will eventually own the entire Recreational market and we will have given it to them. The only way this scenario will not play out, is if bootleggers don't sell to MP's and MP's don't sell to LP's.... Which will be impossible, we all know there will always be people that will...greed has always been and will always be human nature.

Apologies for the length of my post... after reading my rant, I'm now totally fuckin depressed...:cry:.

Peace...B

Gmack

Fwiw tcc post on Instagram all say they are ceasing online sales. Not that product won't be available elsewhere. And I read comments from one of the coowners saying they could be back in the legal market just it will take time. So who knows. Lots of other edibles mfgs out there anyways. Syrup and cheap shatter were the draw to tcc.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Doubt the lps will pick up any of the 14+ week flowering varieties or even if they would run them to their full potential, just early chop and run.

A lot of LP's are claiming they have breeding programmes so they think their shit don't stink and they have the best of the best etc.

clearheaded

meh ya funny alot of the online dispenseries are closing which is smart as I am sure they will be out making examples of them so dont compete with the LP legl online sales ie selling concentrates better cannabis (at least till craft gets going)

there will always be a need for craft and small will be around just tighter margins.

500-700 a lb? they must be steeling power for indoor that cheap lol we know giant LPs produce for 1.90ish 2.20 a gram... and its crap. so if current growers are reselling cheaper or the same as LPs are currently producing a gram for def still can stay in biz.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
They seem to be heading for the lowest cost $/gram they can, to maximize shareholder value.
So if good stuff is low yielding they won’t touch it, not initially, anyway.

Not so. Aphria announced their branding today. Like any smart LP, they will offer a range of products from low to high. Sure they will shoot for cheap for their bulk products - cheap leaf & leaf for oils, beverages etc but they will also market quality leaf at higher prices for the more discriminating smoker.

"Solei Sungrown Cannabis ("Solei")
Solei is designed for current and novice users and pairs an assortment of carefully curated strains and product formats with different experiences.

RIFF
RIFF is a community and cannabis brand that is co-created by the Co.LAB, a collective of creators and artists who love a good joint effort. The brand will have high potency offerings available for experienced users.

Good Supply
Good Supply is a value-priced brand without the frills, designed for the everyday cannabis user.

Goodfields
Goodfields is for current and new cannabis users interested in quality cannabis from a trusted source, cultivated with care.

Broken Coast Cannabis
Complementing Aphria's in-house brands, the Company's subsidiary Broken Coast Cannabis Ltd. ("Broken Coast") is a multi-award-winning craft grower that delivers a premium product and provides consumers with an opportunity to access a brand synonymous with the legacy of B.C.-bud. Broken Coast's craft cannabis is grown on the shores of the Salish Sea in small batches by choice, using single-strain growing rooms. All flower is hand-trimmed and slow-cured ensuring the optimal cannabis experience."
from newswire.ca

The MOMs are starting to shutter fast. You may have caught the news conference from the Ontario ministers the other day. Any MOM who sells after Oct 17 will NEVER get a retail licence in the future. Never is a long time.

tbd

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The majority of dispensaries will close. There will be a temporary dip in MOMs. And many growers will shutdown.

But the lure of money. MOMs are too easy to setup and what kind of fool would link it to a name they needed to start up legally (where money will be scarce). The LP's are hardly through the "burning money to stay alive" phase. The majority of the 700 processed applicants have barely entered that lovely minefield. Given the bottleneck they're all racing towards many will be crying into their beer this time next year as their assets are swallowed whole by the front runners.

With one legal storefront in BC until spring 2019, someone will fill the vacuum.

Gmack

Emt are becoming a issue. They Just need to switch up the email used to accept them frequently and moms will survive fine.